Posts by MuktiG

that is the reason that there are no updates/fixes weeks after serious bugs have been acknowledged by the Kemper team.

Typical. :)

Just after I wrote this I connected RM and turns out there is an update 7.0.4 which includes some bug fixes and missing features.

I love the optimism and really hope that you are right.

I must admit that I'm sometimes a little pessimistic and start thinking that the Stage may have hardware problems that just can't be fixed and that that is the reason that there are no updates/fixes weeks after serious bugs have been acknowledged by the Kemper team.

The main volume is last in the signal chain, so for instance in the case you mentioned, whatever level reaches it will be attenuated by 17dB.

It doesn't Brent; it's completely-transparent.

As I said, the main-volume setting will attenuate whatever levels the above send to it by the amount you choose, which in this case is 17dB, so if you increase the level being sent via either of those mechanisms, the output level will increase by that amount.

Monkey_Man you were faster :) I replied without seeing your answer.

I would try to think of it just like an analog chain;

-guitar pickups/pots > effects can all change the volume of your signal

-when that signal hits the amp it can be compressed which means that there is a ceiling to the volume; If you make the effects or the guitar louder, the amp will just distort more but it will not get louder. This depends on the type of amp and how much headroom it has.

-after that stage the amp has a master volume that can make everything louder. (Long-press AMPLIFIER button)

-in the Kemper you get more fx after that (X, mod, REV, DLY) where you can also change the volume (inside the FX or by using a boost or EQ in 1 of the slots)

-After all that you finally have the Rig volume in the Kemper. Which is the normal 'volume' knop on Toaster/Rack and you can also get to it by long-pressing 'RIG' button (On the Stage this is the only option).

All these setting give you a huge amount of freedom to have all the parts of the chain interact in unique ways by adjusting their respective volumes. In the end you can set your Rig volume to balance this rig to your other rigs.

Most people unlink the 'Main out' volume and set it fixed to -18db because that is the digital equivalent of 0db on an analog soundboard. That way you will not clip the FOH and as long as your rigs volumes are balanced to the songs you will have a very happy sound engineer.

If you want to hear yourself on stage or in a rehearsal room, you normally use the 'monitor out' outputs. If 'main output' is unlinked (OUTPUT menu > page 2 > 'Main Out link'), you can turn the 'Master volume' knob to get the volume you want while the volume to the FOH soundboard stays the same

So in short, how certain am I that my main output volume is exactly -17db?

I'm not an expert on this subject and perhaps someone can explain it better than me but I can say that this is not the way to look at it.

The only thing you need to do is keep all your rigs at about the same level with Rig volume. When the Main output is fixed at -18db that is the ceiling. It is not what you will output. You probably will never touch it unless you have some Rigs that are (nearly) clipping. The actual decibels are up to the volume of the mixing desk and power amp behind that. The sound tech will make sure that the guitar sits well in the mix and you can adjust your master volume to monitor your own guitar and balance it to the rest of the band.

In a rehearsal space you can also use the main out instead of monitor but I wouldn't do that except if you specifically need the XLR out on the Kemper to connect is.

Had it running without errors for a week without attaching anything to the USB port. I tried to use a PC keyboard to type in names and got a freeze. A couple of hours later I tried to do a backup and the unit froze after inserting the USB stick. Then on stage, I got the clock error again. I think it’s definitely not RM itself causing these crashes.

I do not get crashes when saving or switching performances. Sounds like corrupt data in the performance itself?

I also don't understand why the EDIT button is needed. Each module can also be accessed directly, right?

The way the screen switches between different editing locations and performances is still somewhat unclear to me and because of that I was inclined to think that there probably is a reason for this button but TBH I also haven’t found it yet. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Kemper team has explained here that they needed to remove a lot of buttons to keep the interface clear.

I understand that but strongly disagree that UNDO REDO buttons/functionality are a luxury we can do without.

On the other side, the morph button is new but I don’t see how anyone would need it. There’s already a soft button for it when in the Rig/Morph menu and there’s the special LEDs above the footswitches that show when Morph is activated.

So this seems like a totally useless addition.

Am I missing something?

I’ve gone on record on this forum a couple of times saying that as long as I didn’t use rig manager I didn’t get any freezes.

Yesterday while preparing for a tour I tried to connect a computer keyboard to type in names which is one of the great secret features of the toaster. Upon connecting I noticed that the unit was frozen. Did a power cycle and tried it again and it didn’t freeze but just didn’t work.

Later on I wanted to make a back up and the same happened after inserting the USB stick. This seems to indicate it’s not rig manager itself that is causing the freezes but the USB ports no matter what is plugged in. The behaviour does not seem to be caused by any user manipulation of the software but happens intermittently for no apparent reason.

Had this and just reported it to Kemper yesterday.

:) @G String you have to admit it has been awfully quiet for a while. But, yes, I also got your responses on 2 tickets in the last hour.

I can confirm that you are very nice on the phone. It's just that usually companies prefer that you let them get on with their work instead of bothering them with calls for updates. ;)

But I understand your answer; If responses are lost in spam, calling is indeed a fine solution. I don't have that problem though, your mails are always in my inbox.

But you were getting them often before?

I'm currently building presets for a tour I have coming up so I need RM to build my performances a little quicker but maybe I'll have more luck once I've done that and can leave RM for now.

Three times in total. Once without using RM (but it could have been open, I don’t remember) but because of rebooting 4 times in succession. Went straight to the clock error without freezing.

Kemper thought that the interna clock might be defective but seeing that the error is now popping up all over the forum, it seems to be a global Stage issue. Let’s hope it’s just a software fix. They said they’d get back to me about it 8 days ago and I haven’t heard from them.

I haven’t connected RM in a week and no freezes since. I was just playing though.. yesterday I again did some editing in the stage and got a LCD blackout during selection of FX but it restored itself. Also noticed the morph LED for slot 5 is defective. I’ll create a new post about this.

I think Kemper HQ is totally overwhelmed by the range of issues with the Stage and most of their engineers being on holiday. I feel for them but I can’t understand their motive for rushing this. It seems that software and quality control both are not ready for release. I feel like a product tester.