Posts by Karajan

Welcome to the forum from me as well! I can't answer all of your questions but maybe some.

I'm pretty sure with the versatility of the Kemper you should find all of the tones you need. But if price is an important factor for you, I'm not quite sure it is the perfect solution for you, as very good tube amps can be had for well under 1000 bucks and for a Kemper you have to pay well over 1000 bucks. Which amps exactly would be a good match for you I can't tell (because I have no clue), but maybe someone else can help out there. At this point you will have to weigh your options: pay more for higher versatility, consistency and convenience or go with the lower price. And this decision you will have to make yourself :)

If you were to decide on a Kemper: a FRFR is an perfectly accepted solution and real cabs are mostly (there are exceptions here everywhere, obviously ;) ) used by people who want the same live feel they had with their tube amps. Since you are accustomed to digital amplifying I think you should be fine with a FRFR.

Hello from me too! I hope you'll be happy with your purchase.

I'm not quite sure about rig packs and the rig exchange (and I can't try because I have mine registered -- but you could right now!), but there are so many other sources for profiles... First of all, the Kemper comes with some great ones, many share theirs over Dropbox and if you think you need to buy some from commercial vendors (many of whom offer free samples) that would obviously be no problem as well. And, maybe most importantly for you, you can make your own profiles of your JVM to your taste.

So if you want to thoroughly test the Kemper (as you should) before deciding to keep it, I don't think it should be a problem laying off the registering a month.

First of all, welcome to the forum! :)

I think the most important question you would have to answer is "what do I want?". You described your current setup, but I didn't really get why you want to switch to a Kemper. Less weight, easier setup, more consistent tone, better tone ... ?

I think without this information it is hard to tell you whether you would be happier with a Kemper or some amps. ;)

Hm, das war tatsächlich etwas voreilig von mir zu vermuten, dass du das Handbuch (wie die meisten und am Anfang inklusive mir) erst mal links hast liegen lassen ;) Ich bin nur immer wieder begeistert davon, was ich darin noch alles finde.

Auf der anderen Seite bin ich genauso begeistert davon, wie schnell und kompetent ich in diesem Forum Hilfe bekommen, wenn ich mal wieder nen Brett vorm Kopf habe ... von daher bist du hier wohl genau richtig aufgehoben ^^ Wenn du magst (und das noch nicht getan hast) kannst du dich dem Forum ja mal in der entsprechenden Ecke vorstellen :)

Ich glaube das macht jeder nach seinem Gefühl? Ich mache das aber schon so, dass ich Rigs, die ich nicht mag und wohl nie nutzen werde rausschmeiße. Ein einfacher Weg dafür ist, meine Favoriten als solche zu kennzeichnen (langer Druck auf den Rig Button macht das Rig zum Favorite) und dann alle anderen im System Menü (Seiten 17/18) zu löschen. Von da aus packe ich immer mal wieder ein paar dazu oder lösche ein paar.

Etwas eleganter sollte das aber auch mit dem Rig Manager gehen, das habe ich persönlich aber noch nicht probiert (das Ding läuft nicht unter Linux :P ).

Ganz unabhängig davon kann ich dir wärmstens ans Herz legen ab und zu mal einen Blick in das Benutzerhandbuch (zu finden bei den Downloads auf der Kemper Seite) zu werfen. Ist echt gut geschrieben, beantwortet die meisten Fragen und hat auch noch einige Tipps und Tricks parat. ^^

Ich glaube das Einfachste wäre, das Cab als Preset zu speichern, dann kannst du es immer wieder aufrufen. Dazu gehst du in Cab Menü (also lange auf den Cabinet Button drücken) und speicherst dann das Cab mit dem Druck auf Store und dann "CAB Module" auswählen. So kannst du das dann bei anderen Rigs im Cab Menü durch ein Drehen des Browse Knopfs bei den Presets wiederfinden.

Möchtest du nur schnell mal was testen geht es auch einfacher: Im Cab Menü drehst du am Browse Knopf. wählst da aber nicht Presets sondern From Rigs aus. Da wählst du dann das Rig aus, was dein gewünschtes Cab hat.

Ich hoffe, das ist etwas das, was du haben wolltest. Viel Erfolg! :)

Thanks for the insight, this is awesome to know!

I did play around with the Michael Wagener pack and you were right, the "Rand L. TS Mandy" Profile seems to fit very well for the main rhythm guitar. I don't think they actually used this profile for the recording (or any, for that matter: this particular song was on the 2008 album "Die Wahrheit übers Lügen" ;) ) but as long as it sounds good (and it does!) I am more than happy :thumbup:

I was, however, not quite able to match the solo tone, even with the MW profiles. To me it sounds a little like there is some specific EQ or effect going on? But then again, I don't really have much of a clue what I'm talking about :D Any idea for this one?

Thanks again for your help! :)

Hello, everyboby!

I am trying to learn to recreate some tones from songs that I like with the Kemper. I didn't get very far (I got like ... no experience with this whatsoever :D ) so I was hoping for some help and advice from you guys.
    Specifically I am looking for main rhythm and solo tones of the song "Atem" by Farin Urlaub Racing Team (it should be possible to find on Youtube). Farin Urlaub has a history of using rack preamps (JMP-1) and rack effects, sometimes software amps, and now a Kemper, so that isn't much to go on. If you have any idea for profiles (preferably free ones I can experiment with), effects, or specific amps to find profiles of, I would be very grateful. :)

You guys are really killing it as of late!!

Not to derail the thread too much but ... Have you, by any chance, picked up the Howard Benson pack as well? I'm interested in it but besides the two videos by the STL guys there seem to be no information about it on the internet ... no clips by them on Soundcloud, no sample profile, no opinions in any forum (that I could find) ?(

The only other method I know works as follows:

Make a backup on your stick.
    Extract that file on your computer. It's tar-file there should be enough programs that do that for you, maybe you have to rename it to ***.tar beforehand.
    Delete those 70 files, you will find them in the "Cabinet"-folder.
    Create a tar-Archive with the remaining files and rename it to ***.kpabackup".
    Put it back on the stick and restore the backup.

I have done that multiple times now and it worked fine. I'm not quite sure, however, if this is really faster than manually removing 70 cabs... probably not ;)

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Since it can't be done, no one knows what is in the kipr files exactly. An educated guess would be that it probably consists of
    a) The cab part. Since you can convert IRs into Kemper cabs, in theory it could be possible to do the same in reverse. In reality, however, this isn't possible at the moment and it isn't clear if that is ever going to change (at least to my knowledge).
    b) The amp part. Every Kemper profile consist of a bunch (I think I heard CK mention something around 20-60?) of parameters. So these will be stored in there. However, even if you would be able to extract these parameters from the file, since you don't know which parameter does what it is practically useless to you and pretty much everyone else.
    So no, you can't use the file for anything else but the Kemper itself. Sorry :(

Nah, it's not just you ;)

For me, however, it is crucial what the posts are about. If a vendor is posting as a Kemper user, member of this community, and wants to share their knowledge or opinions, I'm all for it. If they want to advertise their products in a context where it simply doesn't belong ... not so much. We have enough space for that elsewhere. :) I have the impression, that luckily most vendors do take the first rather than the second way of engaging with us, but I'd be happy if the rest were to follow suit. ^^

First of all, I think it is important to distinguish the questions "what do you think are the best profiles" and "what profiles are generally regarded as the best". While there were many different opinions in this thread back then (and I am of the impression that some people answered the first rather than the second question), profiles by TAF, M. Britt, maybe SinMix for Metal, seem to be widely acclaimed.
    I was wondering if this changed (meaning some new generally highly regarded profile maker joining those guys) with the rise of so many new faces -- that was my main intention of my question. :)

But regarding finding my personal favorites, I am slightly jealous that for many of you the search seems to be over once you have found the right profile maker (which, with so many to choose from, shouldn't be too hard), and are free to enjoy all their tonal goodness.
    Right now, my favorite profiles are from the following makers, with the number indicating the number of profiles: TMS Profiles (2), Katzbach (1), TAF (2), M. Britt (4), bigb6611 (2), Thomas Dill (1), JSaultz (2), Peter Fischer (1), Guido Bungenstock (1), Double Impact (1), SinMix (1). And while I have to admit that most of these profiles are free and only some are bought (if I had unlimited money, you know... ;) ), M. Britt, TAF, SinMix and TMS have a huge collection of freely available profiles -- and many of those don't appeal to me quite as much.
    I assume that some of this problem simply stems from inexperience and unknowingness. Just like with bedroom-tone vs band/in-the-mix-tone confusions -- how can I pick my favorite profiles if I am not quite sure how the tone I like best actually sounds like? ?(:D

Please, don't get me wrong, it was no problem at all to understand your German sentence and as I said, I absolutely appreciate your friendly and helpful posts all over this forum! I just wanted to add to Ingos statement that while "du" is more common, changing it (unfortunately) isn't done without some knowledge. I certainly have huge respect for anyone wanting to expressing themselves in something other than their native language, be it with Google Translator. ;):)

Thank you Brother Kulle.

I've tried to help in Indonesian and Japanese too, and am happy to have a go at any language. It's usually a matter of trying to offer something when nobody else has responded; we don't want our fellow Kemperites to be left out in the cold, do we? 8o

Danke, Ingy. Ich werde mich daran erinnern, aber das wird wohl vergessen. ;(
    Bearbeiten:
    Ich habe den Beitrag nach deinem Rat bearbeitet, Ingy!

Ah, well... because German is stupid you can't simlpy change "Sie" into "du"; "Sie" is considered third person plural so all your verbs are messed up. But thanks for your effort to help in any language! :)

I didn't try this, but as a quite important part of the process - refining - is not possible, I assume not the best results.
    IMHO it would be a waste of time.

Why shouldn't it be possible? You can do the same you would do with the noise: record some chords, send them into the amp and save the result. It would make the process much more difficult (to the point I, too, am beginning to question the likelihood of success), but it could be done, I think.

Edit: Nevermind. Because you would feed the Kemper both the original chords as well as the "answer" through your DAW, the timing-problem should be much easier to figure out.

I assume the volume pedal is working as it should? When you go to the rig menu you will find a page (don't know the page number from the top of my head) about exactly this. You can say which position the pedal should be in (after all effects, just before the amp etc.) and lock these settings for all rigs. I think this should be what you are looking for? :)