Posts by David C

I can't get it to update, my Kemper doesn't see it. I got it to try once and after a time, it encountered an unknown error and left me in limbo. Tried to revert and it kept giving an error message on startup. Finally got it to load back in the 7.3 or whatever version I had been running. I was freaking, thinking I might not be able to get my Kemper to boot up. I would be lost without my Kemper, all my things with strings go through it, might have to get a spare one of these days.

Long ago I got completely sick of noise on stage and started using EMGs. They never inspired me while playing the guitar but listening back to recordings, or listening to another guitarist playing them, they always sounded excellent. Sort of a getting used to thing.

I love my passive pickup guitars and record with them lots, but I've only used EMG equipped guitars out in public for ages. Always dead quiet.

I actually sorted it with help from a youtube vid. In case anyone in the future encounters this I'll explain how.

On a Tele you can't just swap the leads because the ground wire is connected to the cover on the neck pickup and the bottom plate on the bridge. I wasn't going to touch my old Fender pickup so I converted the neck to a 3-wire pickup by clipping the ground wire from the cover to ground and soldering a wire directly to the cover. Then I could swap the wires coming from the pickup and ground the neck cover separately.

Hi everyone, I bought a Fender Tele in the 1970s and at some point put a DiMarzio lead pickup in there and later sold the guitar. Anyway, I still have the stock Tele bridge pickup and just bought a Squier Tele to put it in and see if it picked up any mojo sitting around in a plastic box for around 40 years. Well it did, Albert Lee here I come! :) (talking tone, I'll never have anything like his chops)

But here's the thing, when I combine it with the stock Squier neck pickup, the volume drops and the tone goes nasally like out of phase. The neck is reverse wound or polarity or whatever makes it go humbuck with the two pickups combined. Could I solve this by swapping the wires on the neck pickup?

Another question, I'm not crazy about the Squier neck as it's kinda dark. What brighter Tele neck pickup do you think would be a good match for my 70s Fender? It's output is a hair over 6K so pretty weak, but full of glassy biting tone.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Welcome Brent. back when I was traveling/gigging all the time people would ask me what it was like being a musician. I would tell them that being on stage was the easy part, a lot of the gig was like being a long range truck driver and furniture mover. :)

I've got an early 80s USA Schecter PJ bass. Put active EMGs in it early 90s and never looked back. I made an Avalon 737 profile for it and that's what I usually use.

I just got a laptop to run rig manager (My recording computer is a very stable XP build which I'm not gonna touch). Anyway, got the prompt to update Kemper OS and the first attempt failed. I was auditioning profiles so I didn't really worry about it. The next day I was doing the same thing and the update came up and this time worked just fine. I usually update with a flash drive so sounds like the same issue with either. Anyway, all systems GO! :)

5.7.4 is where my s/pdif problems started. I get a clean signal with just occasional clicks and pops every two seconds or so. 5.7.7 is the same, clean signal with a click or pop every few seconds. I'm running into an EMU 1212 with Reaper. The analog outs seem to be fine with all the latest updates.

I did my first beta with the spring reverb last summer, I've installed every beta and os upgrade since and I've got this weird click and glitch thing out of the s/pdif output now. The last beta said it addressed it but it's still there in my world. I gave up and patched the Kemper in analog output tonight to record. I hope that gets fixed as the s/pdif is very convenient for me.

Wheresthedug, I've also played both guitar and bass in bands but mostly guitar because I find it difficult to play bass and sing at the same time. I also approach bass completely differently than I do guitar.

I haven't gone all through this thread and perhaps one day I will, but here's two guitars I put together in the 80s. The one on the left I made the body out of a solid piece of American cherry wood. The neck is a solid rosewood Warmoth. The one on the right is a Carvin maple neck on a stick with ebony fretboard, I made the body wings out of alder. I've had many different pickups in both of them, still experimenting with that. They both have strat style forearm and tummy routes. Based loosely on a Fender Musiclander body outline, but feel like a strat and a smaller strat in your lap. I like the feel of lacquer so both fretboards are covered in nitro lacquer.

I've been using the Langevin DVC for bass mostly. I just love it's limiters, perfect for bass. I'll have to track some with my Kemper. Anyone know of an LA2A type setting for the Kemper compressor? Also, any good McCartney-ish profiles? He was playing through a big Mesa bass rig when I saw him in the 90s.