Posts by psammm

For me, the Ox was key in making the first satisfying profiles of my amps.

I started with the Behringer DI; bought a Countryman; and also tried to mic up my cabs both direct into the Kemper or with a combination of mics/preamps/mixer in my bad-sounding room. The profiles were okay, but didn't want to make me give up my tube amps.

After buying a PRS DG30 head, I got the Ox to use as a reactive load. Only after owning it for a few months did I think to try it for profiling.

For the first time, I could use a proper A/B setup with the internal profile and reference amp during profiling. When I heard the first profile results, I knew my problems were over. The profiles are accurate, feel more alive and dynamic, and are inspiring to play.

The only adjustments I made to the Ox rig preset I use for profiling were to mute the room mics, and set each cab mic to on-axis. My ears usually prefer an off-axis sound, but the Kemper seems to like the brighter response - likely gives it more frequencies to work with and analyze during profiling.

I ran into a similar issue making direct profiles using the Behringer GI100. It's important to turn off the speaker cab emulation on the DI; otherwise your profiles will sound weak and tonally strange.

Behringer's docs don't explain which switch position is bypass; but some headphone listening during profiling led me to leave the switch in the out position to bypass the cabinet emulation. (Press it 'in' to engage cab emulation.)

Profiles made this way are very accurate and 'juicy' sounding. I'm not likely to ever even try to profile through mics/console/cabs when I've got this option.