Posts by Sunshine

Weren't you rockin' a Mesa 2x12 at one time, Keith? That's what I use now and much prefer it to my 4x12's (69 Marshall Basketweave, 1960a/1960b, AX/BX, Wizard, Mesa Trad/Stiletto, Avatar...)!

Never had an Orange 2x12 but now I'm interested lol .:/:)

I owned a Mesa 2x12 but that was before I had the Kemper. From what I recall about the Mesa, the Orange is a bit more raw sounding and middy.

Completely different amps though. I was playing a modded JCM800 and a 5150 block letter during the Mesa cab era, and was playing much more aggressive music.

+1 to merged or direct profiles only with a guitar cab.

So far I have played the Kemper through:

Marshall 1960AV with V30s

Randal XL 4x12 with V30s

Orange PPC212 with V30s

Mission Engineering 2-P (FRFR)

The Marshall was my least favorite guitar cab. I dont like 4x12s with the Kemper in General. 2x12s just seem to sound better to me. The Marshall and Orange side by side makes the Marshall sound dark, wooly, and fizzy.

I have used the Avatar the longest with the Kemper live (Also the closest to the Orange's sound profile).

I then tried the Mission FRFR because EVERYONE ON HERE SWORE FRFR WAS THE WAY TO GO....... and was terribly disappointed... I sold that for the Orange and its about 15% better sounding to me than the Avatar.

I have never used a studio profile with the cab disengaged and had it even close to usable. I also think its important to find profiles that are very close to what you are looking for. While the tweaking ability on the Kemper is amazing, I find the more drastically you tweak, the more of the "Real Amp" feel you lose.

There is a "Merged Profile Tutorial" section in the library. All of the profiles there are merged. I only use merged profiles with a traditional cab. Using studio profiles with the cab disengaged doesn't cut it live. No pun intended.

Update:

Mission is sold. While it sounded great at normal people volumes, it just didn’t cut it with the rest of the band. At enough volume it started sounding boxy and any palm muting at all made the cabinet woof pretty bad. It was loud enough, it was just sloppy sounding. I mainly play the single note lead stuff and the textural parts and it just wasn’t present.

Good news is I made $300 on the cab and ended up paying $100 bucks on top of it at guitar center for a brand new Orange 2x12.

The Kemper pedal board is one of the most rock solid pieces of gear I have ever owned. My only complaint is I wish it was bigger so the switches could be spaced farther apart for my giant feet.

I feel like if a Kemper pedal board is being buggy, its something in the profiler itself.

Yes, I used two different cables and 3 different amps. I tried a factory reset, updated OS, firmware, etc. This powered kemper should DEFINITELY be louder than my internal computer speakers.

I will contact Sweetwater. Thank you.

That's too bad, man! I hope you go for a replacement because the Kemper rocks as a bass rig.

BTW, you meant "monitor CAB off" right?

If you have anything regarding the amp turned off, you may have the power amp disabled. IF this is the case, turn everything WAY back down and turn the poweramp back on. (I believe this is in the output section).

Also, power amp boost gives you a bit of extra volume, but this is optional and even when this particular setting is turned all the way down, it should still be loud as hell at 4 ohms.

I still have my GLXD14. Thinking i should revisit it and see if i can find the cause of the dropouts. I did love it when it was working!

*Edit - I see there is a new firmware on the Shure site. Might as well give that a go!

I had the G55 perform its first dropout live at a punk rock festival in Long Beach, CA. I was playing in a 1 guitar band at the time and it was right into the first song. No worries...only in front a few thousand people. Luckily Tre Cool from Green day was standing 5 feet away stage right to watch me fail, too.

The GLX has been awesome and the reassurance that it will switch channels itself if it has issues is worth it. The rechargeable batteries with a charging port on the front of the unit is another major upgrade. They last forever and you can charge like 15 min from dead and get 3-4 hours out of one.

Hello and welcome to the Kemper club.

I do not believe solid state amps require a load connected like tube amps do. There shouldn't be any issues hot swapping a cab.

A couple questions:

1. When you switch back to the other cab it is still lower volume than it was before?
    2. Is your main volume knob linked to the monitor volume?
    3. Did you change the power amp boost settings?
    4. Was there any popping noises when switching the cabs?
    5. What is the impedance of the first and second cab?
    6. You are sure you are plugged back in to the powered monitor out when swapping the cabs?
    7. Have you tried a different speaker cable?

Don't be offended by the really stupid questions, it just helps eliminate variables and will put the Kemper experts here ahead when trying to figure out what could be going on.

I cant speak on the charges, but the limited profiles I have tried from them seemed very scooped. Perhaps they would sound good in a mid gain, pop production.

Using flight cases exclusively and would love some more room.

My Toaster is mounted to a shelf in a flight case. It has some minor scuffs here and there. The front panel is perfect.

I will remove from case and reinstall the rubber feet.

No modification was performed on the toaster to secure it to the rack. I used the existing screw holes in the bottom.

Photos available upon request.

I am in Southern CA and am willing to ship to a reputable forum member.

OK, so I didn’t get any user experiences regarding the mission 2-P. I am going to hijack my own thread

I have the 2-P in my possession now. I rewired it in parallel at 4ohms. I did this by jumping the crossovers at the input.

The 2-P is really nice. Having everywhere be a sweet spot in front of it is strange. It has plenty of low end. Enough that a lot of profiles, including the Mbritt stuff, feels a bit woofy. It doesn’t sound bad, but I prefer articulate, mid focused tone. I play higher gain and do a lot of palm muted single note stuff. It’s where I need to be in the mix. Monitoring from the Mission instead of headphones, studio monitors, guitar cab, is awesome. It sounds great at apartment levels and sounds...real. I imagine this will translate well to rehearsal volume. The kemper seems dull to me through headphones and monitors in comparison. I’m assuming it is the lack of resonance.

One huge realization I had today: I like G25s more than V30s, and I have been playing V30s my entire music career. I bought the Phil X Top Jimi pack (awesome, btw) and it has G20s , 25s, and 30s.

Compared to the various V30 2x12s, open back 1x12s and 4x12s I use, the Mission with the Kemper just resolves at a higher level. (I have always used merged or DI profiles with my traditional cabs).

The other huge thing is having every single rig open to me now, merged or not. I can finally use that super good Morgan profile on the rig exchange live!!

I’ll update after a rehearsal or two. So far I’m really enjoying it.

Long time no see!

I just became the owner of an older Mission Gemini 2-P. This was before they included a toggle switch to use both speakers with one power amp.

So, ill be ordering a Y cable. I would like to go 4 ohms. The manual seems to specify its OK, but i'm not really into the idea of possible signal loss due too circuit protection. Is 16 ohms going to be enough volume if I go that route?

I'm coming from using 2x12 loaded V30s, and most recently an open back 1x12 with a V30 in it. I'm pretty sure i'm on the verge of frying that one...

This will be my first FRFR since owning a Kemper. Im pretty excited. 8) I feel like my profile choices for live use just expanded 10 fold!!!!