Posts by Sunshine

LOL Brilliant story, Jed.

Chiming in 'cause I'm in the same "boring" boat as you:
    Jazz III for lead & chugging.
    Bigger Dunlops for strumming or shuffling.

I'm still not skilled-enough to use the IIIs for strumming or shuffling without grazing my fingers, so any attempts at doing so call for a bigger Dunlop.

Have you tried the Jazz III XLs? Best of both worlds.

Soldano has been on the GAS list for a long time. Also jealous of the 4x12. Finally put mine in storage and am using a 2x12 and already considering a 1x12. Maybe someday we will get outdoors again and the wall of speakers can come back

Dude, I was literally thinking about you just a few hours ago going "I wonder where the hell Sunshine is at"? Hahaha, no word of a lie man! Trippy! Good to see the family is Growing, nice axes! Welcome back! :evil:

This warms my heart. I missed this crazy bunch. Too much work and not enough play.

Or, is one the perfect spare for the other? :)

Edit: They sound about the same!

The red one is only in my house until my brother-in-law can make his way down to retrieve it.

The story:

The burst was at Guitar center on clearance for $1,000...Thats right...1K for an American made Musicman guitar... I was there with my wife after a 3 beer lunch. I spotted these guitars almost instantly. I asked to see the burst, plugged it into some monstrous Friedman amp in the big-boy-expensive-amp-room and played it for about 5 minutes. I finally looked up to my wife slowly shaking her head at me through the glass, to which i quickly countered by slowly nodding mine... Its truly an amazing feeling guitar and the Musicman pickups are impressive. The stainless steel frets are like glass. I made sure I left with it :evil:

So the red one...
    A week after having the burst I visited my brother-in-law. He's a true guitar snob, even at 27. He's a Fender devotee and just recently had his first fret job on his maple necked red Strat. His other guitar is a Les Paul standard. A really nice Tea colored one he spent months finding. Hes old fashioned at a young age. He loves 70's rock. He is of the mindset "If you need single coils get a Strat, if you want humbuckers get a Les Paul." Yes, at 27 he is that 65 year old purist.

Anyhow, I didn't figure he would be impressed, but I knew he would appreciate the craftsmanship. (Keep in mind, he was never really impressed by either of his other guitars, they were tools. He found the ones that enabled him to play how he wanted and bought them.) So he picks up my Stingray somewhat hesitantly and plays some typical Allman Brothers lick. "...huh..." He continues playing for another 5 minutes and looks up at his sister and I with this stressed out look and says " I have to have one of these....I...I want this guitar"

Me: "Well, there is a red one with a maple neck sitting down at Guitar center for $1,100....Wonder if its still there..." At this point he was totally stressed out. The first guitar he has ever lusted after is like 50% off right now, and its his favorite color and preferred neck. Now he is frantically trying to figure out when he would have time to drive down there (He's in his last semester of RN school so hes a pretty busy guy.) . Guitar center was closed so he couldn't even find out if the guitar was still there until the next morning.

I beat him to the punch and called them in the morning and bought the little bastard the guitar... So, it's mine for now until he comes and picks it up.

Mine plays better, though....

I want proof of the claim these things can hang with a full rock band.

I want to ditch the 2x12 and go FRFR. Preferably a 1x12.

Mission seems like the best option for me.

I could get the passive (Best price, I have a powered Kemper)

Would this hang with another guitarist using a 50 watt 1x12 combo?

Is the dispersion really THAT much better than a closed back guitar cab? (My other thought was going with an open back cab for a more airy and dispersed sound.)

I actually love the sound of the Kemper through my V30 cab, but I'm looking to haul less gear and have more tonal options.

Hi, I have a good condition powered toaster I am looking to trade straight across for the rack version. It has some small areas where paint was rubbed off from the previous owner keeping it in the bag with the foot controller on top. This unit has actually been racked and babied since then, but i'm trying to get a smaller rack going.

Detailed photos upon request. I'm located in the Orange County / Los Angeles area.

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/Mgz6OJw.jpg]

Character building stuff, but no different to most European festivals. You can't spend all day sound checking with multiple bands. As you say, they know their room and it sounds good, so just don't play your best song first!
    Part of the attraction of units like Kemper is the ability to easily arrange your own monitoring setup. We did this long ago to cope with these kind of shows. You can't control FOH, but it is good to not be reliant on unknown monitoring.

I have considered doing my own wireless in ear monitoring. I have CIEMS. I just need a wireless unit. I could leave one ear out and still hear my leads from anywhere I end up on the stage.

In some small venues there may be issues with direct guitars depending on the setup. With no sound on stage, centre front row audience might not hear a lot of guitar if the PA speakers are effectively going past them. I don't see the problem going direct if there is some kind of cab on stage though.

They are just uninterested, really. One example is the Viper room. Using the house drum kit is mandatory and they backline JCM800 reissues. You can bring your own head, but its going through the Marshall cab. The mic is already permanently attached to the cab with a bracket. That being said, those guys know that club and the sound is loud, clear and just powerful. Its a real blast to play in there. It would have been really sweet to hear the Kemper through those monitors.

Another example would be HOB Anaheim. Nice enough guys but no sound check for support acts once the show gets rolling. Only the opening act and the headliner get true FOH sound checks. The sound tech at the side of the stage does a quick line check and you just go at the first song blindly and hope they get you where you need to be. Another venue backlined with Marshalls that were prob on that stage 20 years before they ripped that place down. That was pre-Kemper.

Picked up this 5150 today. It's a face ripper, never owned one before... gotta try it with the KPA :thumbup:

I bought myself this shred machine to go along with your face melter

My first shreddy guitar in 15 years. I put some Dimarzio Titans in it and i'm having a really good time with the Edge tremolo and the 16" radius fret board.
    [Blocked Image: https://images.guitarguitar.co.uk/cdn/large/140/171117316814008.jpg?h=610&w=366&mode=max&bg=ffffff&quality=70]

I understand their point, but if you have a loud drummer, going DI is a real bonus. My FOH engineer played me some recordings of our miced cabs and the cymbals were as loud as guitar in one of the mics. So separation is key to getting a good mix out front at times. Obviously bigger stages are fine, but we are not always guaranteed that!

On the small club circuit out here in CA, I may only see the same FOH guy once a year unless he works at two different venues. You would be surprised how many of them are scared to run direct from the Kemper. That is the only reason I never went FRFR.

I agree with the quality/type of cab argument. I personally use an Avatar 2x12 signature with V30s and try to stick with profiles created using the same speakers. I pulled out my old Randall XL 4x12 with vintage 30s, considered a rock solid touring cab, and it didn't sound near as good.

Exactly! Especially Top Jimi studio profiles are great through monitors but the merged ones are the worst I've tried with a real cab...
    Btw still laughing with your post about electric shock treatment... :D

It doesn’t make sense to me that a profile would sound good through monitors as a studio profile, but the DI profile wouldn’t sound good through a speaker cabinet. I’ll admit there might be some noticeable difference, but not sounding good at all? It just doesn’t make sense to me.