Posts by Sunshine

I guess that depends on the specific profile... ATM I don't own a merged profile equivalent to the studio profile I'm using live, so in my case I can say the cabs off version of that studio profile through my 4x12 satisfies me enough not to look for a merged version... but maybe I should anyway! ;)

I suppose I did have this luxury when I bought my first commercial profile from Top Jimi. It contained both Studio and merged profiles of the same amps/settings. The merged profiles sound more organic to me. After comparing them to the studio profiles, the studio versions come across a bit more buzzy/electronic sounding. I had issues with studio profiles through a guitar cab not cutting the mix. the merged profiles FEEL like a real amp.

This being said, it also comes down to who is doing the profiling. I tried some DI profiles off the exchange that were pretty terrible sounding, and nothing has compared to the TJ profiles I have purchased so far. The only reason I haven't purchased more is because I will tweak my live rig endlessly if I give myself too many options...

I play my kemper through a traditional cab, with cabs off in the monitor out. And I use studio profiles.

Why? Because I want my audience to hear my best possible tone through the PA. And so far it seems studio profiles sound better through a PA/FRFR/Studio monitor than merged profiles.

I don’t understand how this is possible when it’s still basically a studio profile when you have the cab engaged. I tried Monitoring the same amp’s studio vs merged profile from Top Jimi and they sound identical through studio monitors/headphones. The merged just sounded better through a guitar cab.

People, DO NOT put a DI box between your amp and cab before checking it can handle the voltage.

You need to buy a DI box or dummy load that can handle the wattage which is a $200 investment by minimum. You can't use just any $10 di box off the shelf, it's likely you'll destroy the box and your amp. Most DI boxes have been built to handle signal levels (0.1V-1V), not 100W power amps. Want to be safe? Get a load box with line out, like a Hot Plate, and put that between your amp and cab.

There are threads on this forum pointing out plenty of DI boxes less than $100 that can handle the wattage and have a pass through to speaker to handle the load.

What does FOH get? Or do you mic the cab? Just curious. Never used the merged and I'm pretty new to the KPA.

A merged profile is made by the same process as far as setting up and micing a cab to your liking. The difference is you run the signal through a DI and capture the amp right after the power amp, before the cabinet. This would be a DI profile made for use with a traditional guitar cabinet, or with a cab from a different amp profile. A merged profile takes this a step further. Right after the DI is captured, you profile again through the speaker, and MERGE this with the DI profile. This makes it possible to have a pure power amp signal go to your guitar cab, and still have a amp+cab profile to send to FOH.

The benefit of the merged profile vs studio is the Kemper is kind of guessing (and guessing very well) where the amp ends and the cab begins as far as the profile sound.

When you disable a cab on a merged profile, you are disabling 100% of the cabinet without any guessing.

I use a traditional guitar cab, and while the studio profiles with cab disabled sounded pretty good, the merged profiles feel nearly 1:1 to a real amp. This is most obvious to me while playing in a band with another guitarist. You can FEEL the character of the amp as well as hear it.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I don't know what you were monitoring with in the room, but none of these came across as too bright to me through headphones. They all sounded really nice and open.

They are all merged.
    I've tried mixing some different cabs as I always do, with great results. But they sound great just as they are.

Tasteful 'Verb, Delay and other settings too.

You can tell these were done on a Rack unit, because they have the Mods in the X slot, .... the Rack doesn't have the 2 MOD knobs so you don't notice that you can reach over and turn those knobs like you can on the Toaster...

Awesome! Looks like ill be making a purchase after work tonight.

It´s a few days ago but how did you do the stereo wiring to the Kemper? I´m running a Timeline and BigSky too... Thx!

I dont mean to hijack and if you would rather PM me I would be OK with that, but what does the Strymon Big Sky do that the Kemper does not? I have noticed Strymons being one of those pedals that even when pros are using Axe/Kemper/etc they still have a Strymon, even if it is the only external pedal. I have been noticing this more and more.

I use JBL LSR305s. They have a great room sound for a nearfield style monitor. They are neutral, and they are designed to throw a very wide sound stage for how small they are. They are also great for mixing.

HIFI nerds like them and people use them for TV monitors as well. Plus, at $150 each, they are pretty affordable.

EDIT:
    This guy has some high end stuff come across his hifi channel and he says they might be the best speakers he has ever had on his desk.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I have a separate rig for solos in each one of my performances. Always in slot 4. Each performance represents a song in our set. I try to color the solo tone slightly to make it a bit different for each song and make it fit the level of aggression. With so much flexibility in the Kemper, I can't imagine having a simple volume boost for solos in one of the effects slots. In fact, I have yet to use the effect slot switches on the remote for anything. Its pointless unless you need more than 5 sounds for a single song.

All this being said, i'm not that much of a pedal tweaker on stage anymore. Our live set is tailored to almost run on rails at this point. I like to spend as little time hovering over the remote as possible.

That is great to hear. I think I’m going to go with the version that has external antennas.