Posts by Lobsta

Cool.

Haven't heard too much about SPL, will have to look into them.

Right now I'm using a Presonus quantum 2626 thunderbolt interface.

I've had a new unit on order since September, a Motu Mk V. Supposed to finally come in next week (we'll see...)

I'll try the SPDIF again when I get the new interface.

Why complicate it when you have spdif? I don't get it.

Well, if all I was ever doing was re-amping, then probly it would be ok.

I don't normally use the SPDIF for 3 reasons:

*The DAW session had to be @ 44.1khz sampling rate with SPDIF, or the sound is off, and I like to use higher than that sometimes.

* I get glitches at low buffer latency, clicking and dropouts. Never happens with analog inputs.

* SPDIF has a longer latency than analog. Yes, it's a very small difference, but it is longer. (record both at the same time, you'll hear it...)

None of those things are issues with the analog inputs of the audio interface, and it sounds exactly the same tonewise.

One unusual drawback to this audio interface is it doesn't have 'direct monitoring', you have to 'record monitor' in the DAW only. The analog inputs will run fine @ 32 samples buffer, I have to increase it with SPDIF.

If you don't have SPDIF, you just have to have the ability to send the D.I. signal to the Kemper's alternate input, then back to the interface with the Kemper output you like. Preferably, you'd have more than one set of outputs on your interface (one dedicated just for the Kemper), though I think you might be able to make it work with one set, and then monitor the reamp with headphones attached to the Kemper. I have SPDIF, don't use it though.

Here's how I do it in Reaper DAW:

Assign the D.I. track to a hardware output, and mute (uncheck) the send to master track setting, so it doesn't play back on the normal outputs.

Cable from that hardware output to Kemper alternate input. (unplug any connection to the main input, and set the input source to 'Alternate input')

Cable from Kemper main output left to interface input.

I record/monitor on a new track. If you only have one set of outputs, it might feedback? Then monitor with headphones to the Kemper.

Next, you should deal with the added latency all of this takes, as your re-amped tracks won't line up in time.

In Reaper, Reainsert can be used to measure the latency offset in ms, then you apply that offset value to the recording settings, and bam, the re-amps are in time. Other DAWs should have some method of measuring and adjusting the reamp latency, definitely get that set before recording, or it'll sound righteously bad.

Sounds confusing, but works easy once you set it up.

I have been browsing interfaces as well. I think I am going to have to upgrade in the near future. I have been interested in the MOTU Mk5 but you can't get them anywhere right now. Thankfully I am not in a must buy it now situation. It looks like it may become available around February.

Ordered one (Motu Ultralite Mk V) in September, supposed to come in next week. Hopefully worth the wait!

Keep your eyes out, maybe they'll be available everywhere then....

Hi b_ryan.

Do you hear the sound if you connect headphones directly to the PROFILER? If not, then the problem is downstream.

Try the headphones connected to the Focusrite Saffire 14 Pro.

Exactly.

I would also disconnect every cable from the profiler, including the USB cable. So, guitar, guitar cable, headphones are the only connections.

Still happening?: Try a different guitar cable.

No difference?: try a reset. (after saving everything)

or was noise gone with all cables unplugged?: Add your other connections back one at a time until it appears again.

I'm pretty sure I've heard those weird sounds before, just can't remember what caused them. Possibly it was something with the audio interface.

Do either of you happen to have experience with over-ear Shure headphones? I'll have a look at some in-ears since you recommended them, but over-ear would be my preference. I just think it'll be more comfortable for me personally over a longer time because in-ear stuff tends to fall out for me.

I've had the SRH-440, and SRH-840. (still use them) Pretty good headphones, very comfortable. They do break fairly easily, try to be careful not to drop them too much. (parts of the frame crack) Soundwise very good, reference quality, maybe a little light on the bass frequencies, 840s a little better with the bass. Can wear all day.

Also had the ATH-MX50s, KRK 8400, many others, all were uncomfortable.

Surpassing those for mixing and referencing are the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros. Very flat response, with more bass than the Shures.

These I use for mixing and critical listening, such as evaluation of profiles. Also very comfortable. Not very fun to use, the response is so flat, very boring.

Recently, I've been using my son's Playstation 5 Pulse 3D Sony headphones. Sounds funny for audio not gaming, but man, are these fun! Everything sounds great in them, every profile rocks, tons of bass. You can't trust them for any real evaluation, or mixing, or reference use, they are too colored. But just for jamming out, or tracking, it's fun, all the profiles come to life. I just bought a used pair, pretty cheap. Also pretty comfortable.

My advice beyond all that is: get one that's 'over the ear' style, rather than 'on the ear'. For me anyway, they are less comfortable, can't wear for very long periods.

Good luck!

Did you test the IR in your DAW before adding to the Kemper?

Consider checking your settings in Deconvolver when you process the recording:

Reversed Technique = checked active, Normalize to -0.3 dbfs = checked/active, rest = inactive

IRs transferred to the Kemper usually sound (to me anyway) completely different than when used in the DAW with an ampsim. I feel very very lucky when I find one that sounds good in the Kemper

The other option is- load an ampsim with a similar gain on the track with the logic eq you mentioned, and use the Kemper to capture a profile of that.

If it sounds pretty good, try the new profile's cab with your Kemper DI profile from step 3.

You can try to capture a profile without an ampsim too, I always preffered the other way.

I think this whole process is very subjective as mentioned above to a particular guitar setup, and doesn't transfer well to other people's rigs. Every tone match IR I've tried usually has unpleasant frequency issues. Don't have Izotope to try tone matching myself.

One thing could be the quality of the Kemper headphone out (which is fantastic) vs. your interface's headphone out.

I used to have mine setup like this:

2 outs from the audio interface came back to the Profiler using the return and alternate inputs. These would supply the recorded audio playback from my DAW, in stereo.

Then I would monitor everything thru the Kemper headphone jack. Everything sounded exactly the same, whether I was playing, recording with XLR, 1/4", or SP-dif, and playing it back, it was no different, spot on.

Might be some extra work for you to try this setup, but you could rule out the difference being Kemper's quality headphone amp vs. interface's headphone amp.

If you haven't yet: also check the output settings, there are EQ's there which can be assigned to different outputs. You can view those settings in rig mgr, or in the output menu on the unit.

Just got a String Butler a couple of days ago, the V3 stealth. The guitar is a Dean Z Explorer with a massive Dean V headstock. It's definitely improved so far. There was a lot of sideways tension on the middle strings. The G string seemed like it went out of tune every time a note was bent before.

Want to get some new strings and see if it's even better with fresh ones.

As far as home players go, I don’t get why people without specific pro or semi pro needs would bother with any of this stuff when there are simple, elegant plug-ins that do a fantastic job.

Plugins? Pretty simple reason: LATENCY

I don't follow the argument about the QC capturing each element of the amp and cabinet. Isn't that what the Kemper does, i.e. You can capture the amp as a DI, you can capture the cab together with the amp and you can switch around amps and cabs?

Or am I missing something? It seems highly unlikely that you can capture a cab without an amp being involved in the equation.

I'm not sure, but I think they mean a QC 'Capture' is saved as a block. A block can be moved around in the fx chain, but there are no separate components. You can't change the cab to a different cab, because it's saved as a block. You can adjust EQ and gain, but you can't swap in a different amp or different cab. With the Kemper, you can change all those things and more- amps, amp parameters, cabs, cab properties.

Can someone correct me if I got that wrong?

Regarding the no direct monitoring. It's actually a feature and not a lack of...
    The interface is built to monitor through a DAW. And to keep it as fast as possible they removed all the other stuff like a internal mixer and direct monitoring. The result is one of the lowest latency interfaces on the market. Which is why I bought it.

Interesting. It's really a different way of recording for me. Hopefully I'll get used to it, and appreciate it soon.

Yeah, lots of people complaining about the lack of a TB cable. I was prepared as it's the same with my Apollo X4 so I bought a 2m cable. Costing 50 dollars. And there's quite some conflicting info regarding the cables. Some say you shouldn't use cables longer than 1m. So it was a risky buy. But no problems at all! StarTech is the brand, for those reading this in the future looking for similar info.

To get rid of the no playback issue when opening other programs, you have to open the Universal Control software and click the ADAT menu.
    Stupid workaround but it works fine for me. But they need to fix it for sure.

Thanks for the tips!!

I'll try the ADAT tip right away.

I'm running it on a PC with a Thunderbolt AIC.

Again, for those reading this in the future, looking for info: stay away from the Asus ThunderboltEX3 card. It will make your life a living hell. Buy the Gigabyte one :)

Yeah, I have the Gigabyte Designare. So far, so good!

One other plus for the 2626 I forgot to mention:

* Re-amping with the Kemper. (recording a D.I. track, then going back later, sending a signal back to the Kemper and recording with a different profile) I've tried it a couple times so far, sounds fantastic, very easy setup. I'm not using any kind of reamp box, just 1/4" cables, but the sound quality is great, no buzzing, humming, or excess noise. I'm still sort of testing it out, and haven't figured out yet how to ensure the re-amped tracks come back perfectly adjusted in time in Reaper, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. Pretty impressed with the tone, though.

SonusStudios,

Have you tried raising the buffer in your DAW?

I recently bought a Quantum 2626 about a month ago. I almost returned it several times. (probly too late now...) Anyway, I did test the SP-DIF just to see if it worked. I'm using it with a PC into Reaper DAW. I also got clicks going on, which I just assumed the SPDif couldn't handle the low buffer that the other inputs could. I had the SPDIF panned right, and a mic input panned left. You could hear they were out of phase, and the SP-Dif was arriving into the DAW later than the mic input. So, I choose to stick with the mic input after that short test, I didn't test the amount of delay, but it was very apparent (longer) than the mic input.

What do you think of the Quantum 2626 so far?

Here's my experience, let me know if you found any workarounds for these!:

The BAD:

* Pretty frustrated that it didn't include a thunderbolt cable. It's fine if they don't want to do that even for $600, but make it clear on the website, make it clear on the box, make it clear inside the box, make it clear on the retailer's website. "Thunderbolt cable not included" There was no way to know, or even suspect before I got it, and then had to waste a week chasing one down.

* No mixing or monitoring software. No monitoring input, no output unless being used with your DAW. No direct monitoring. Every interface I've ever had has had direct monitoring and mixer software before. Totally changes how to record. Everything has to be done in the daw- routing, etc. It's just a dead brick without the DAW. If it was a $50 interface, or even $150 ok, but for $600 I was really expecting mixer software. Again, it wasn't clear on their website (or I missed it).

* Getting audio dropouts using other programs, like YouTube, etc. Especially if you have the DAW open and switch to youtube (again you have to have the DAW open to hear the KEMPER) Sometimes it'll play one video on YouTube, click a 2nd one, all audio stops. I've been working with Presonus support for over a week or so, still no improvement.

The GOOD:

* Mic inputs sound very good with guitar and bass direct, as well as the Kemper.

* Latency is very low. I can run a Reaper session at 32 samples buffer, with tons of fx and virtual instruments, master fx on, and record monitor the Kemper with great performance. I could likely run it lower if I turned off a lot of the fx...

* Timing accuracy for recording is excellent!! This was always an issue for me with previous interfaces. Reaper allows for adjusting the actual vs. reported interface latency when recording. This is important if you want what you played to line up in time exactly as you played it after recording.

With previous interfaces, the difference I had to adjust was always hundreds of samples. It would always change as well, so I would always have to check it, very frustration, sometimes it would be 150 samples, sometimes 194, always fluctuate. Anyway, with the Quantum 2626, it's only 3 samples difference! Also it never fluctuates, it's always exactly 3 samples, really excellent there.

Are you running on PC or Mac?

you can compare yourself for free !!
    The plugins from Neural DSP can be installed as test versions so you can A/B compare them with the Kemper and take your time to see/hear what you like more. I did that, downloaded 3 of the plugins (you can use them for some days for free)

My first impression was positive, but then I tweaked a little bit, and I compared them with my Kemper. I did not try to get the exactly same sound, for my taste this is not necessary. I just played and tried to get the feel of the amp sims. I also played the plugins though my 2x12" V30 cabinet with GPA-400 power amp (of course, speaker simulation switched OFF - could do it with no noticeable latency).

I liked the Kemper more, through the studio monitors and through the cabinet. Couldn't try the Neural DSP plugins through the Kone though ;)

Silvio, your computer must be amazing, avante grade, cutting edge! (or mine is subpar..)I can't get the Neural plugins to run anywhere near realtime without glitching.

Once you turn the buffers high enough to stop glitching, latency delay destroys all feel, they're impossible to play for me.

For comparison, Kemper has zero noticeable latency.

I did not feel any latency using these devices. Neither the Ampero nor the GT-1000, but I have to admit, I did not use all the effects in The GT-1000. In the Ampero I activated Drive, Boost, Amp, Noisegate, Cab Sim, EQ, Delay and Reverb, which is almost all of the effect blocks activated simultaneously and I cold not feel any delay (I did not measure it though).

Cool. I am looking for something more portable than my Kemper. Something that can fit in a small backpack or carry on bag. Perhaps I'll give the Ampero a try.