Posts by Lobsta

There are so many free ones on Rig Exchange!

You could try this:

Go to Rig Manager, type HELL in the search area.

There's an author named HELL-G, there are 30 or so totally heavy profiles of an Engl Fireball, scroll until you find those, they're killer.

It's a mystery, all right.

I used to have a GSR 200 a while back, had the active circuit, never any problems with it. What you might consider trying is to clean the inside of the guitar's output jack. If it's corroded, you can get a bad connection, it's happened to me on several guitars. (of course, in those cases, when you moved the cable, the signal would ouput intermittently.) Try with a cotton swab and some Isopropyl to carefully clean the jack. Usually that cleared up the problem for a short time, and would return, so I rolled up some sandpaper and scraped the inside of the jack, then no problems. In those cases, it was the ground, or barrel portion of the jack which was corroded.

It's probly not your issue, but won't cost you anything except a few minutes to try it!

Had a similar freeze like that yesterday, except the profiler rack screen showed blank except for 'Kemper Profiler' (no other words, symbols, status bars, etc.) Neither rig manager or the rack responded anymore.

Turned it off for a minute, then back on, it's back to normal.

Is the XR18 an audio interface? or a mixer?

It should sound exactly the same, especially because it reads like you are using the same Kemper output for recording and monitoring. If you were using 2 different outputs, you could possibly have different output eq settings. You could look at those settings in the output menu anyway just to check.

It's mysterious, because my setup: Guitar/Kemper/Audio interface/Pc sounds fairly identical on playback.

On really, mega high gain profile settings with my noisier guitar, I go with 2 instances of the Noise gate 4:1 in the pedal section. Set them both around 5. Usually dead quiet between notes at that point.

Then set the input noise gate as low as possible because I want more of a raw sound, say 2 or less. Matter of taste on that one.

Then if still noisy, raise the 4:1 noise gates as needed depending on the profile, maybe as high as 6 or 7 if out of control.

The number one thing I notice as the difference between demos/home recording and pro studio recordings is the tightness. Pro recordings you can barely tell that guitar parts were played separately, they sound so perfectly in time.

Of course, for your style of music, tightness may not be as important, but still you want what you played to play back as you played it, in time with the other instruments. Then render your tracks and when sent to the studio, time is right on.

If you're using Reaper, consider getting your recording latency adjusted perfectly first before you start recording anything. That way you ensure your tracks are perfectly in time, as you recorded them. (then play them super tight, ha!) What I'm getting at is- most audio interfaces report their latency to Reaper incorrectly. They won't line up perfectly in Reaper on the grid exactly as you played them. A manual adjustment can be made in Reaper in the options/recording/input manual offset area. Both of my audio interfaces are off by hundreds of samples. Doesn't sound like much, but you asked for tips- this is my #1 tip- get the latency adjusted, get the timing right. Basically you connect a cable from an output to an input, and measure how the recorded tracks line up in Reaper then make an offset adjustment, I use my headphone jack out as that's how I monitor when recording. You can also do it using Reainsert (a little easier)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

As far as recording, all good advice above, if you have enough interface inputs, yeah, record dry track+effects track+di track, and then you have all the options.

Agree with the above, check those settings out.

In Reaper, for the DI sends, click the io button, uncheck master send (if it's a sub folder, it'll say parent send). Then add a new 'hardware output' using the output your cable is connected to. It should be a unique output, one not used for anything else.

Then on the master track, make sure that the DI output is not selected as the master hardware output.

You could also try direct monitoring the input (return from Kemper) thru your audio interface instead of record monitoring in Reaper as a test.

If that sounds fine, then the problem is within Reaper. Maybe it's track leakage, or a plugin somewhere if that is the case.

So my possibilities are at the moment:

- a dedicated headphone amp for my old interface and recording the kemper through the preamps (cheapest option, 50-150 euro)

- a new interface with SPDIF and a good headphone out (200-500 euro?)

A 3rd option:

Plug one set of your audio interface's outputs into the Kemper. Then you can monitor your DAW and your guitar from the Kemper's headphone output, and get that killer sound. I use this mostly. (for the reasons you describe) But can also just plug the headphones into the audio interface, or use monitors at any time. In the RIG menu, there is a panorama control, so you can pan the guitar signal to hear the daw playback easier when tracking.

I forget right now what they're called, think it's alt. input and return input you use for the cables.

Fantastic!

Really good job all around. In the mix everything sounds really clear and defined. Drums are played tight! Vocalist can really belt it out, holy crap...

Are you using the Kemper for the Bass guitar as well?

Looking at Rig Mgr, select the 'Amplifier' block.

While looking at Rig Mgr, turn the volume knob on the Kemper itself (not master volume) In my case it's the Powerack I have.

Nothing happens in Rig mgr, knob image does not turn.

If you turn the mid, bass, treble presence, they all work, all move on the screen.

If you do the opposite, turn the amplifier volume knob with your mouse in RM, the Kemper does get louder, so it only works one way.

Same still happening with the new beta. 7.5.018

Try this- open any profile- turn the profiler's 'volume' knob (which controls the amplifier volume). Then look at RM-no effect here- nothing changes in Rig manager, it's lot linked/synced, whatever the term is.

Try this- open any profile which you know has an adjusted amp volume in RM- it shows 0.0 DB here, look on profiler unit, shows the correct value.

Just me? Or an error in programming/glitch?