Posts by jrowland96

OK, I'm a hack guitar player for 30+ years (self taught, poorly...), but am taking lessons now, dedicated to improving and loving playing.

I've read other threads on here and elsewhere and I'm 99.9% sure the Kemper will be what I want. FYI I have been following this forum for a few months, read similar threads on here, and elsewhere, researched, etc. but... I just want to get some reassurance! LOL I'm planning on getting the unpowered toaster BTW.

That being said, I just play at home in my home office/man cave. I generally have to play at lower volumes 90% of the time, later at night, etc. I have a 15 year old Marshall DSL401 I bought stupidly not realizing how loud that is (in apartment at the time). Haven't used it in over 2+ years, and have never turned it up past 4. LOL Anyway, I've been strictly playing through Scarlett 2i2 audio interface and amp sims (Bias FX and Amplitube 4), and using JBL LS305 powered studio monitors. I may eventually upgrade the monitors, but they are pretty good to my ear. I will probably upgrade to a Scarlett 6i6 as well. I was able to play a friend's bandmate's Kemper at a rehearsal they had, but it was through a Marshall cab and wouldn't be my setup exactly. Just starting to learn to record as well (mostly for my own critique, and my teacher's benefit)

I play mostly rock, classic rock to hard rock, some blues... Steely Dan to Rush to VH to Metallica. I like being able to get a wide variety of tones, similar tones to artists I like for songs I'm learning, etc.

I guess my one unknown question is just playing at home, will the Kemper be a lot better sounding than Bias FX desktop/Amplitube, with my setup?? My guitar teacher has a large home studio as well, and has like 30+ amps (Marshall, Laney, Splawn, Fender, et al), hundreds of boutique stomps, and does re-amping, etc. I'm thinking I could always use the Kemper and do some profiling of his gear as well, since I don't have my own to profile.

Any insights, advice, reassurance, welcome! LOL Thanks! I'm looking to order in the next week or so. Hoping to be a full-fledged member of the club soon.

John