Posts by bhuether2

Hi, I have been going through a bunch of profiles (built in plus some MBritt stuff I just bought) and I am noticing that clean rigs are very quiet. Is this to be expected? I guess I figured profiles would be somewhat normalized but seems I always have to crank volume on clean profiles which is odd because on most amps clean channel is louder because of less compression compared to high gain output.

thanks, Brian

Hi, I was wondering if others have noticed that pinch harmonics just don't seem to sound great on the Kemper. This is what I have noticed on every modeler I have ever tried. Thoughts? They always end up sounding as if the partials around the harmonic get tossed out and you are left with a pinch harmonic that sounds, well, hard to describe. Very thin.

thanks, Brian

Hi,

I am trying to go for a tone that is a cross between Frank Gamble, Shawn Lane. Smooth and yet articulate at the same time. I have a Suhr Modern with stock pickups, rosewood neck and basswood body. Another Suhr also rosewood but Alder body. Again stock pickups.

What I notice about the tone I typically get from these guitars is that they are very articulate but maybe too much so. Aggressive pick attack. I am looking for something smoother. Hard to describe. I want something that on neck pickup doesn't turn to mush on low notes, but stays articulate and smooth at same time if that makes sense. Neal Schon's tone on the live in manilla concert is also quite awesome.

Anyway, just curious what you would pick.

thanks!

Brian

Hi,

I am trying to go for a tone that is a cross between Frank Gamble, Shawn Lane. Smooth and yet articulate at the same time. I have a Suhr Modern with stock pickups, rosewood neck and basswood body. Another Suhr also rosewood but Alder body. Again stock pickups.

What I notice about the tone I typically get from these guitars is that they are very articulate but maybe too much so. Aggressive pick attack. I am looking for something smoother. Hard to describe. I want something that on neck pickup doesn't turn to mush on low notes, but stays articulate and smooth at same time if that makes sense. Neal Schon's tone on the live in manilla concert is also quite awesome.

Anyway, just curious what you would pick. Maybe something commercial if no one thinks free profiles would do the trick.

thanks!

Brian

Interesting. So if I understand correct, there are two approaches - use a downloaded profile, or just tweak factory settings of the Kemper? How do you start from 'factory'? When I load up Kemper, it seems to want to start from a given profile (listed alphabetically, for example, upon first power up).

thanks,

Brian

BTW - so far my favorite built in profile is the VH4. Maybe my bias as a Diesel owner, but that profile had great combo of clarity, tightness, articulation.

I bought a Kemper because I moved and can no longer really make use of my Diesel Einstein, Diesel VH4S and other tube amps. I used to record with a Royer R121 and SM57, in front of a Diesel 4x12, through Great River preamp. But now I want to try the Kemper route - and I don't want to profile my rig, because I don't have the right environment to place a cab and mic for good profiling. I will use my tube amps when situations make it possible, but for now I just want to get up and running with Kemper.

I am into mostly melodic instrumental rock, where my lead tone tends to be fairly high gain so I can play nice harmonics and have decent sustain. I also play a lot of clean as well. Einstein is such a great amp for heavy and clean. So I need to maintain that, but not necessarily with Einstein profile.

I have heard some Frank Gamble stuff on Cornford amps and I think at times his tone is awesome. I also loved Nuno Bettencourt's tone on Extreme's first CD - perhaps my ideal tone to shoot for. Govan sometimes has good tone, but a little plain for my taste. I really dig Shawn Lane's tone, the way his low end has such nice definition coming through in mixes. For less heavy stuff, I tend to like Larry Carlton's tone. I think Andy Timmons also has some good tone on certain songs.

So maybe you get the idea about the kind of tone I am into - very articulate.

My main guitars are Suhr, with Suhr pickups (two humbuckers). Not ultra hot, but fairly hot pickups.

Ideally, the profile would get me the sound I want coming out of my monitoring speakers. I always play and listen to myself through monitors. I always want to know how I will sound recorded. Something from an R121 would be ideal, but not a show stopper.

Look forward to a chat here!

Brian

I bought a Kemper because I moved and can no longer really make use of my Diesel Einstein, Diesel VH4S and other tube amps. I used to record with a Royer R121 and SM57, in front of a Diesel 4x12, through Great River preamp. But now I want to try the Kemper route - and I don't want to profile my rig, because I don't have the right environment to place a cab and mic for good profiling. I will use my tube amps when situations make it possible, but for now I just want to get up and running with Kemper.

I am into mostly melodic instrumental rock, where my lead tone tends to be fairly high gain so I can play nice harmonics and have decent sustain. I also play a lot of clean as well. Einstein is such a great amp for heavy and clean. So I need to maintain that, but not necessarily with Einstein profile.

I have heard some Frank Gamble stuff on Cornford amps and I think at times his tone is awesome. I also loved Nuno Bettencourt's tone on Extreme's first CD - perhaps my ideal tone to shoot for. Govan sometimes has good tone, but a little plain for my taste. I really dig Shawn Lane's tone, the way his low end has such nice definition coming through in mixes. For less heavy stuff, I tend to like Larry Carlton's tone. I think Andy Timmons also has some good tone on certain songs.

So maybe you get the idea about the kind of tone I am into - very articulate.

My main guitars are Suhr, with Suhr pickups (two humbuckers). Not ultra hot, but fairly hot pickups.

Ideally, the profile would get me the sound I want coming out of my monitoring speakers. I always play and listen to myself through monitors. I always want to know how I will sound recorded.

Not sure why I can't post on the private forum, since I just registered my Kemper. Anyway, look forward to a chat here!

Brian