Posts by obeymydog

Hello,

When I double click a rig in RM to load/preview it on my KPA (or use Ctrl + enter), it will work fine for the first few rigs, then it "sticks" on one and keeps the same amp/settings regardless of what rigs I choose next. The rig name will change to the correct one in RM but the sound doesn't change because the amp and all other settings act like they're locked (but none of the parameters are actually locked).

Quitting and restarting RM only starts the process over again - I can load a few rigs normally but then the issue returns. I'm on the latest version of RM (3.0.145.16429) and newest KPA OS, my PC is running Windows 10. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated!

Really appreciate the thoughts and suggestions here. I thought some more about what I'll be doing with this gear (i.e. not leaving home with it) and decided to try some bigger/better monitors before jumping into a FRFR cab solution. I checked with a couple local retailers today and lucked out - one had a sale on HS8s (buy one get one 50% off 8o ).

So far these seem perfect: more than enough volume with no weird noises/vibration and significantly better detail and balance than the KRKs. I can see why these monitors get so much love here and elsewhere - I've been listening to music nonstop when not playing. I think I'm set now, time to get picking/tweaking profiles and just playing the damn thing!

I agree that it seems like the monitors are the limiting factor and an active FRFR cab might be the best way to go.

The DXR10 sounded like a good option to me too; my only concern is seeing some threads here where users have found its sound at lower volumes to be imbalanced/unpleasant. Something about a stiffer speaker needing more juice to really get working? It seems the CLR gets high marks for low volume performance but I'd rather get away with something less pricey if it's not a huge sacrifice in tone.

So I've got some more digging to do to figure out which FRFR to try; my local retailers don't have many of these in stock but with luck I'll find something to demo before making the decision. If you've gotten to play through a DXR10 at home/bedroom levels, I'd love to hear any of your impressions.

Monkey_Man - Thanks for the welcome and suggestions. There's no input trim on these monitors but I tried increasing the monitor level while keeping the KPA turned down - the problem still occurs at the same volumes either way.

John - Thanks for this idea, it does make sense that I might be hitting some resonant frequencies outside of just the monitor's woofer. I took the monitor I've been using down from its cinderblock stand and placed it on the carpeted floor - I could go slightly higher in volume (KPA master vol from 4.6 to 5.6) before the issue reappeared. It was closer to what I'd consider a reasonable practice volume but still felt kind of limited. I tried again with a pillow underneath and it seemed a bit worse. In all cases, the buzz seemed to be very directly localized to the speaker cone itself but I know the ears can play tricks with noises like this. Just in case, I did repeat this with the other monitor and had the same results.

Hello all,

I just got my Kemper unpowered head and am shocked at how good this thing is and how easy it's been to use. My only issue so far is with the combination of the KPA and studio monitors I'm using (KRK Rokit 6 - 1st gen). When I approach what I'd consider a moderate volume range, I start getting a nasty buzzing sound on some of the lower notes on guitar: worst is low E string @ 12th fret, second worst is open low E, happens more infrequently elsewhere on the low E string. Occasionally happens with dyads on the A+D strings also. Seems equally likely to happen with clean or overdriven profiles and with single coil (low output) or HB guitars.

The quality of this sound is somewhere between buzzing and a really fast rattle and sounds like it's not good at all for the woofer, so I've resorted to turning the KPA down to avoid it, which does work but is way less fun. For reference I've never been a "cranked amp" player, mostly bedroom and smaller jams, so my definition of moderate volume is pretty quiet by most players' standards. It's weird because I can play recorded music at a higher volume than this through these monitors without problems, but I'm sure there are differences between that signal and what the Kemper puts out.

I'm plugging the KPA's main output straight into one monitor (to avoid an unrelated issue with my Scarlett 2i2 inputs clipping, new interface is inbound to resolve that) so there's nothing else in the chain at this point. I'd appreciate any thoughts on whether this can be resolved or if it's just a limitation of woofers this size. Thanks!