Posts by NEUK01642

From my experience, many profiles might be somewhat mix ready or close to it which means that some lows are not always prominent. When adding a tube screamer type pedal externally, you're removing more bottom from a profile that's intended to be tight already.

One solution is if you need to use an external pedal because you like the character of that pedal would be to use the amp parameters in the Kemper. I've had a lot of luck by reducing the "definition" significantly. Try it out and if it's still not as tight engage "clarity" to about 3 or 4. Don't forget that Tube response also can be lowered to give more of a tight preamp response verses loose power amp if increased.

Dean_R
    Thanks for the tips. Been playing around last night and this has helped a little.
    I’ve pretty much taken the rigs back tfrom basics and built them from the amp up again. And I’m closer this time. Have to be really careful with the boost level. I think you could get away with a lot more into a valve head.
    I found a balance of an actual increase in definition with an increase in sag and adding a good slug of clarity and pushing the tube shape towards power amp seems to have given me some of what I’m looking for.

Hey all.

So had my KPA about a year now (maybe a wee bit less). On the whole love it.
    However. I'm trying to set up two rhythm rigs for 8 string guitar (yep, djenty, high gain nonsense - sorry).

I've got a ReampZone VH4 and a Britt 5150 as my amp with two OwnHammer IR's for cabs. The issue starts here. I've also got a Fortin Grind and a Fortin 33 bought because I just love what they do to the sound of an amp. The way the tighten up the bottom end and add a stack of rich harmonic mids. But I can't get them working with the KPA. The pedals are just either not driving hard enough (i.e. the pedals are two low and not adding the richness they can) or driving too hard and it all descends into a fuzzy mess with loads of fizzy high end and no definition.

Question is, am I expecting too much from the Kemper? Given it's nature (a profiler, capturing a snapshot of an amp with specific settings and a specific amount of gain), is it just never going to fill out and tighten up the way an amp would (I mean i'm not dim and I know they're different beasts but I've heard people using boosts with modellers before and Misha Mansoor developed the Precision Drive specifically to work with the AxFX so this isn't an outrageous suggestion)?

Any experience in running a classic TS tighten up a high gain amp scenario using real pedals into the KPA and any tips on how to achieve that would be appreciated or any thoughts on if I'm expecting too much of the Kemper.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Well, whaddaya know. Awesome, Matt!

My argument since the very-first response in the thread (post #2) was that there shouldn't be "considerably-less detail". Gratifying to hear of your success, mate.

Thanks man. Yeah it was a relief to get it close enough so I can focus on playing and writing and nailing the tone (had two sets of new pick ups fitted so having a bit of a tweakathon) rather than all the missing details in the cab.

Massive thanks to all the inputs from everyone!!!

UPDATE:

So last night, following I believe Dean_R's direction I actually disabled the Pure Cab in the Output section and voila!!!
    The cab IR in the Kemper is now as close as damnit to the IR as played back in the loader in my DAW.

Now pretty happy. I mean there is still differences but they are minimal now so the cab is now functional.

I still think support for higher resolution longer IRs in native WAV format would make absolute sense in Kemper.

Not sure what DI profile means here, is it the profile from the tube amp Direct out if the amp has it or the FX Loop? Those type of profiles are Preamp only and don't include the power amps section, they can sound good for sure but they're not what most guitar player would perceive as "tube amp" that includes preamp and poweramp.
    I would ask the seller specifically what they mean by DI profile before I buy. To use the whole amp with IR, Merged Profiles with cab disabled will do the trick because they're tapped from the Speaker out that goes into an external Direct Box that feeds the Kemper.

Dean_R
    Possibly miss use of terminology. I meant direct profiles that are taken of the amp that don't involved cabs and as far as I'm aware you can do it via a loadbox/DI unit such as the Two Notes Torpedo range (I confess I don't profile so my knowledge is sketchy). These are full fat profiles but don't come with cabs.

If this was the global try to disable it instead of taking it to zero because it might still be doing something to the signal.I know this might be a silly question, but do you happen to have any effect in the Kemper (post cab) that's enabled?

Also, don't forget that you can create a support ticket and contact support directly and they will answer you so you don't have to wait for them to read your post. as they might not get to every single post on this forum,

Dean_R
    Not to worry, found out how to do it.

Thanks for the advice.

Matt

100% agree. I was in constant contact with Kemper support and Hans tends to answer very quickly. Just keep in mind that Kemper support is for the Kemper and not IR's. Meaning if they were created correctly, length, etc. In the end I gave up and went back to using Kemper cabs. And you know what? It was the better move as they sound way more dynamic than static IRs. You just have to find ones that suit your needs and tweak them in post. All of this, as usual, is just my opinion.

Funny because on the whole my experience is exactly the opposite. With VERY few exceptions, I pretty much automatically change the cab because I dislike the sound of the cabs that came with the profile. I tend to try and buy/get DI profiles now rather than merged/studio for exactly that fact.

The quality difference has only come to light recently as I was auditioning a bunch of IR's in Logic prior to making a selection to convert and had settled on a few that worked for me and then was surprised by the difference when I loaded them on. thought it was maybe a hickup in the conversion process so did some a/b-ing and found that not to be the case.

I think I have a pack from Tone Junkie TV and a BE100 profile that I've left alone. Everything else (ToneHammer, The Amp Factory, Britt have all had cabs replaced).

If this was the global try to disable it instead of taking it to zero because it might still be doing something to the signal.I know this might be a silly question, but do you happen to have any effect in the Kemper (post cab) that's enabled?

Also, don't forget that you can create a support ticket and contact support directly and they will answer you so you don't have to wait for them to read your post. as they might not get to every single post on this forum,

Dean_R OK, thought taking it to zero was disabling it. How do I disable it?

In terms of effect not one the rig I'm trying to sort at the moment. It's a high gain rhythm rig so as it stands before the rig I've got a Studio EQ then into an Amp Factory Fortin Natas profile then into the cab (which is currently and OwnHammer Zilla 2x12 then out.

Got pedals in front but they'd be hitting the DAW loaded IR as well so no difference there. I've got a touch of reverb on to add a little 'room' to the sound but I've been turning that off for setting up my EQ so I know there's nothing having a dramatic enough effect on the cab to warrant the quite stark difference.

I might well hit up support although as you say they may well come back to me saying this is an issue with IR's (which I'm sure Kevin at OwnHammer would love). But It might be worth a shot.

Let me know how to disable Pure Cab.

Thanks again for your input.

So brief update.

Found global Pure cab. It was set to three. Took it to zero...

If it made a difference it was so minimal as to be beyond even my uncultured ear and the difference between the WAV IR and the converted Kemper IR is still pronounced. It's clarity, upper mids and high frequency and bass response...

So until Kemper make it possible to up load native WAV files (even of the same length and resolution as the files to convert) it might have to be back to using an IR loader in Logic and dealing with the resultant memory suck.

If there is someone who works for Kemper cruising these pages it would be great to get an 'official' response and hear your thoughts and solutions to this frustrating issue and any idea if there is a possibility that this will be addressed in a future software update (if it's a software issue) or if it's a hardware problem that can't be altered.

Cab -- then pure cab is on the right. Page 5 of output section too.
    The only time I would consider using it is when micing was bad. But if micing was bad, wont bother with the profile anyway.

But some, quite many like pure cab more than myself.

Thanks man.

If it you have it on, it will most likely make a difference turning it off. Only then can you see if IR is close enough for you after conversion.

I'll deffo give it a try.
    Remind me where the hell it is again so I don't spend the entire evening going through every menu :D

I think the issue of IR and Profile accuracy will rage for eternity.
    I think the Kemper comes closer that anything else has to replicating the tone of amps and to a degree the feel.
    Personally (and this is opinion and base on my experience), I think it's as close as it needs to be, I think there are differences and there always will be, even on the very finest profiles, but I think those differences are as small as they've ever been (and maybe ever will be). Not saying insignificant to the detail minded among us, but to the average gig audience I suspect they are prominent.

I think Cab IR's from a select group of companies represent solid replication of a sound of a cab and while there are absolutely issues with the combining of IR and CAB profile in terms of the interaction I think there are work arounds that get you there.

However the point I was raising in this post was that on importing and IR through the only means available the degradation in quality is pronounced. And that is a problem for Kemper and and irritation for me as there are other units who support IR's much more efficiently. And as Kemper has allowed Direct Profiling and sellers are making packs of DI profiles available to purchase there absolutely should be support for the very best quality IR's available. It's at the heart of what Kemper stand for. And that is my issue. That a free VST loader in my antiquated Mac in a DAW version that's 5 years old, sounds better than the converted file.

I can see no reason for resisting enabling functionality that would allow users to choose to use WAV IRs (again, surely one of the core principles of the Kemper is offering the player choice and variation), as well as profiled cabs, if that is technically possible. I for one don't need 1000 different cabs on my profiler. I'd be happy with half of that amount all at higher quality.

Anyway, I'm done. Hope Kemper can see their way to addressing this but I'm guessing it's not at the top of the list of priorities.

Going to try the Global Pure Cab thing. Hopefully that will address some of the difference because I don't really want to go back to having to load cabs into my DAW again...

Wow that kicked things off

Thanks for the questions. There is and undeniable decrease in quality when CabMaker converts the files as has been outlined above.

I don't buy into the 'well you should just use the cabs provide in the rigs' argument either because I've salvaged a few unusable rigs by changing the cabs because in my opinion the profiled cabs sounded absolutely dreadful (and from reputable profile suppliers as well).

In terms of the legitimacy of the the profiling process and suppliers I'm talking about OwnHammer and Celestion so people who's reputation is built on making accurate representations of the cabs and speaks.
    And where it came from and how accurate the original is is almost irrelevant to me and not the point of this original post (although maybe it should be in a different forum). I have IR's I love the sound of in my DAW but when converted they just loose so much of what I like, and that is an issue for a unit who's main point of difference and the reason I bought one is it's accurate representation of rigs. So the issue is the fact that I want the IR on my profiler to sound like the IR in my DAW.

And I absolutely use DI profiles where available (sometimes as stated above I've stripped a cab out of a merged/studio profile and replace it and it's better as a consequence but I understand the inherent issues in doing this).

I'll looking at the Global Pure Cab setting when I get home tonight. I haven't changed it so if the default is set to on then I'll turn that off.

I just think this is still a product that could be the undisputed king of digital amps (I can't think of a better phrase to sum up the modelling/profiling/simulation market) but there are some seemingly small things that should be sorted out if possible to make a huge difference to the functionality of the Kemper and entrench it's position as the top of the pile. A well designed editor being one and IR handling being another (there are other things but these surely can't be that hard to change).

Thanks for chipping in with the ideas and questions ya'll.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love my Kemper... just want to love it a bit more ;oD

Hey Kemper
    Would be amazing if Kemper could use longer WAV file IRs that come from third parties like OwnHammer etc rather than have to mangle them through CabMaker
    The resulting files are markedly less high quality with curtailed frequency response and considerably less detail than the original WAV files and as a consequence do not show Kemper off at it's best.

I know the theory is that you should used merged packs and be happy with the capture provided but as Kemper allows the creation of Direct Profiles it's obvious that you entertained the idea that people might want the flexibility to be able to change cab/mic combinations.

This would be an small but outstanding bit of flexibility and take Kemper to the next level with the best tones and the same IR flexibility as AXFX and Helix

Thank you

Matt

I'm not sure, but whoever was giving you clockface values for a digital setting that they could give you the exact number for needs to sort their life out! haha

It's an Mesa triple rec he's giving values for. Sorry should have mentioned that.

Hey all
    Very quick question
    Have a power rack, love it!

Trying to marry up amp settings with profile values. Been given the setting for EQ in clock face e.g. Bass at 10 mids at 11 etc etc

On the rack values go from -5 to +5. Is 0 the equivalent of 12 o'clock using the clock face analogy? So 9 o'clock would be -2.5 and 3 o'clock would be +2.5

Thanks in advance

Matt

Thanks for the responses all.

So in the end, just took out the EurekaProm chip and stuck the original back in.
    After a bit of faffing around, a factory reset and expression pedal calibration, I've pretty much got it doing exactly what I want it to, I've just had to ditch the looper.
    It's a shame that the EurekaProm chip doesn't offer you the programming flexibility that the original does in at least one of the modes so you could set it up the way I have and still get to use the looper.

Having cake and eating it I guess.

So
    I have:

- 1-5 changing slots in performance mode
    - up and down changing backs (performances)
    - 6-10 switching stomps/fx on and off
    - two expression pedals (where required) altering delay and reverb mix levels with a defined toe and heel amount.

And it seems to work better than the EurekaProm chip, which seemed to have a bit of lag when switching and a fairly audible pop. None of that with the original chip

Thanks again for the responses.

May be back again as I'm looking at how to get the Kemper to send midi signals to my soon to be acquired loop switcher to trigger patch changed on my pedal board for all my dirt and a 'character delay'

Matt

Kemper Dudes

So got myself the FCB1010 with the EurekaProm3 (and the original and Uno), super cheap off Ebay.
    Now I am in no way midi fluent. My 44 year old brain struggles to get to grips with what needs to be sending what message on what channel to what, so please any responses should include big crayon writing and simple words.

Here's what I'm trying to achieve:

- Pedals 1 - 5 set up to trigger slots in performances
    - Up and down pedals to scroll through the performances
    - pedals 6 - 10 to be stomps
    - Then I want both the expression pedals to be expression pedal, not expression and volume and I want to adjust the toe and heel values for both to something other than off and full.

So the question is, is this even possible?
    I'm pretty sure I've seen everything other than changing the volume pedal to be an expression pedal when using the standard chip but I don't know if it's possible with the EurekaProm chip. I really want to use that if I can as it allows access to the Kempers Looper.

I've had a slightly vague email from a very helpful chap at EurekaSound suggesting reallocating the expression pedals is possible but it didn't provide much in the way of direction in terms of how to achieve that.

Any and all insights from you glorious people would be massively appreciated.
    Like I said, this is my first midi pedal so every is confusing... everything.

Huge thanks in advance

Cheers

Matt

PS Sorry Kemper, that I didn't buy your lovely remote. It just came down to cost ;oD