Posts by cags12

A weird uncontrollable squeal doesn't sound like a ground loop issue. ground loup would be either 50hz or 60hz depending on country. That's around bottom A on a Bass guitar. But would be audible in higher octaves too around 100hz and 200hz. I think there must be something else at play here but don't know the Amplifi so can't suggest what it might be.

Yeah it is very weird. But definitely it is related to the ground connection because by lifting the grounds the situation improves.

I will keep making tests.

Hi, I got a Kemper a week ago and I am struggling with a Feedback/Squeal issue.

I have a Line 6 Amplifi that I am using as my FRFR and also to Jam along backing tracks as it has Bluetooth. It has really served me well but I wanted to step up my game with a Kemper. I do not need anything bigger that the Amplifi as I only play at home with the Bluetooth streaming at low volumes or Headphones.

The issue I have is related with Ground loops and the Ground lifts in the Kemper. When I use the Kemper and the Amplifi together I have this weird uncontrollable squeal. It is not really a feedback since all of this happens over headphones too.

I have tried this connections with the following results:

Kemper Headphone Output -> Amplifi Aux In = Squal when I stop playing.

Kemper Direct Out (Master mono) -> Amplifi Guitar In (Moddeling bypassed) = Squeal uncontrollably

Kemper Main Out (Master mono) -> Amplifi Guitar In (Moddeling bypassed) = Squeal uncontrollably

Kemper Monitor Out (Master mono) -> Amplifi Guitar In (Moddeling bypassed) = Squeal uncontrollably

Kemper Direct Out (Master mono) [groud lifted] -> Amplifi Guitar In (Moddeling bypassed) = Works OKish

Kemper Direct Out (Git Analog) [groud lifted] -> Amplifi Guitar In (Moddeling ON) = Squal when I stop playing.

Kemper Main Out (Master mono) [groud lifted] -> Amplifi Guitar In (Moddeling bypassed) = Works OKish

Kemper Main Out (Git+Processing)[groud lifted] -> Amplifi Guitar In (Moddeling bypassed) = Very bad squeal.

Kemper Monitor Out (Master mono) [groud lifted] -> Amplifi Guitar In (Moddeling bypassed) = Works perfectly!

Kemper Monitor Out (Git+Processing)[groud lifted] -> Amplifi Guitar In (Moddeling ON) = Works perfectly!

All the test were done with different volumes in the Kemper and Amplifi. Profile is a high gain one as well as preset it the Amplifi when modelling is engaged.

The issue does not happen if I connect the guitar directly to the Amplifi or if I use the Kemper by itself. I also tried a Boss GP-10 into the Amplifi with no issues (well the GP-10 does not have ground connection to the wall).

So my questions are: how do the different outputs differ?

From the tech specs they are basically the same (¼-inch TS unbalanced with ground lift, max output level: +16 dBu) and they are multipurpose based on the setting but they seem to behave differently. It is clear the Monitor Output works differently and the best performing. it is like the only one where the ground lift works as intended.

Am I missing something?

Any help is appreciated.

More than a year later since last post..

Any chance we will see MIDI CC being transmitted somehow either by a "MIDI transmit" effect slot or "Stomp to MIDI" or something?

My use case is to control an Antares Autotune for guitar from the remote. Different models, tunings, doublings, etc are accessible via MIDI CC messages independently.

Well it was a little bright for my taste and it wasn't as good as some other profiles, commercial profiles I like but I believe you will become better and better and for being the first profile it's not bad at all. Well that's my honest opinion but others might think this is great as it is. We all have different taste what works for us or not. Anyhow I clicked yes since it' s not bad. ;)

Thanks man!

I finally got my own Kemper :) and have created my fist profile of my previous rig/GO-TO sound. I always wondered what other people would think of the sound I had.

I want to play a game with you guys. Could you let me know what you think of the tone and then I will reveal what the rig was. If you think you can guess it, be my guest and post it :)

Spoiler alert: It is a tight Metal tone.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7pa…0-22%2020-02-13.kipr?dl=1

you can send the same program change number for every slot but you can also send no program change at all for slots that should use the same preset in your ATG system that was already selected by the first slot.

Thank you for the info. That brings me closer to build my ideal set-up.

Another related question @hjscheffler. I see there is a Pedal to MIDI function. Any chance we will see the analogous Stomp/FX to MIDI functionality? Even better with MIDI translation? See > MIDI Feature Suggestion

The ATG System also accepts several MIDI CC messages that can activate/disable settings within a preset. The feature request mentioned above would help a lot on mine and several other scenarios.

Hello Folks - First I must mention that I have read the Official Kemper manual already but still I am not 100% clear on my question below. Since I do not own a Kemper YET, I'd like to ask you guys.

I am looking whether I can use the Kemper to efficiently control settings on my Guitar with Antares ATG system. Basically, the ATG system can store up to 64 presets that can be recalled via MIDI PC.

I know the Kemper can transmit MIDI PC in Performance mode. The question I have is whether I can assign the same PC value (to be transmitted) to multiple Slots?. This is to activate the same preset in the ATG system while using different Slots in the Kemper.

By reading the extract below it is not very clear if the value must be unique or can be repeated in multiple Slots. NOTE: Remember I am looking to transmit, not receive, which I understand must be unique.

Quote from Kemper Reference Manual

Transmitting MIDI Commands in Performance Mode
    MIDI commands can be triggered and transmitted to up to two external devices, whenever a Slot is loaded in Performance Mode. Select “MIDI Settings” on page “Slot Settings” and select the MIDI program change numbers associated with Slots of current Performance. In System Settings, navigate to page “Perform Mode: MIDI”, and use soft knobs 1 and 2 to assign a MIDI channel to each of the external devices. Use soft buttons 1 and 2 to determine whether the corresponding external devices are connected to MIDI OUT or MIDI THRU.

Another question. Can you transmit MIDI PC in Browse mode? I know you can receive them no problem and must be unique so the KPA knows what Rig to activate.

Thank you.
    Christian

I would hold off until you're nearing your departure date - and see if there are any teasers coming out which might indicate that something is on the horizon.

Resale price might take a hit anyway if they came out with version 2 (not something I would expect, but I have no basis for my belief :-))

Yeah, this is my plan but I also have to factor the shipping time from CA to FL (long distance). In either case with that €600 save I am pretty sure it will serve as cushion in case resale value gets a hit.

I understand all the points and I am more convinced to buy than not to buy.

However, a big However, the more years pass the more and more likely a new hardware is to be released. That is just a fact. It is now 7 years since it was presented for the first time.

I guess you do not win if you do not risk and that is what I will keep in mind :)

Hi folks - I am totally sold on getting a Kemper and I understand that Kemper's philosophy is to long support existing hardware. However, you never really know what may happen.

The story is that I live in Europe and I have the chance to get the Profiler head + Remote bundle from the US at ~€600 less to what I would get it If I bought in Europe. That is with a nice discount, exchange rate and, no taxes working in my favor.
    I have a windows of 1.5 weeks until the date I fly back to EU. However, as NAMM is upon us, I would deeply regret to get the bundle and then realizing that a new version of the profiler is out. Being in Europe at that point, I could not simply return it. I would not mind waiting until the next time I am in the US to get the new version if that was the case.

Anyone has any advice or insight of what Kemper may announce on NAMM? what would you do?

Thanks.

It is Important to have this capability on the USB type A and B port too.

1 - (USB Type A) Direct MIDI control from/to CME Widi-Bud (wireless Bluetooth) - on the other side QuiccoSound m1. or Yamaha MD-BT01 thenfoot controller.
    2 - (USB Type A) Direct MIDI control from/to other USB compliant MIDI controllers.
    3 - (USB Type B) Direct MIDI control from/to a PC/MAC while performance connected to DAW.
    4 - (USB Type B) Direct MIDI control from/to a PC/MAC Standalone/VST Kemper or 3rd Party Management software.
    5 - (USB Type B) Direct MIDI control from/to Yamaha UD-BT01 or Zivix Puc+

The "Pedal to MIDI" feature is key for the Kemper Remote to become more versatile for controlling external devices.

Feature enhancements:

• CC translation: Being able to translate to a different CC# and forward externally. "Pedal to MIDI" is great but not so useful if the external devices do not allow to configure the same CC# as the Kemper forwards (Wah = CC#1, pitch = CC#4, volume = CC#7, Morph = CC#11) for the function you want to control.
    • Stomp to MIDI: The same idea as the Exp pedals but applied to the Stomp switches. CC translation also needed here.

As the title says. This functionality would open a few options:

1 - (USB Type A) Direct MIDI control from/to CME Widi-Bud (wireless Bluetooth) - on the other side QuiccoSound m1. or Yamaha MD-BT01 then foot controller.
    2 - (USB Type A) Direct MIDI control from/to other USB compliant MIDI controllers.
    3 - (USB Type B) Direct MIDI control from/to a PC/MAC while performance connected to DAW.
    4 - (USB Type B) Direct MIDI control from/to a PC/MAC Standalone/VST Kemper or 3rd Party Management software.
    5 - (USB Type B) Direct MIDI control from/to Yamaha UD-BT01 or Zivix Puc+

This would be a big functionality-wise improvement.

There is an alternative for 2-way MIDI communication for home and small venues use (10 meter range). It is also minimal foot print on the Kemper side.

- x1 - QuiccoSound mi.1 or Yamaha MD-BT01: Wireless MIDI Bluetooth LE Tx/Rx (Peripheral mode)
    - x1 - CME Widi-Bud: Wireless MIDI Bluetooth LE Tx/Rx (Central mode)
    - x1 - USB host compliant to DIN 5 converter: Plenty of options here.

Great you found it informative. I started it because I probably had the same questions as you. I now understand the whole thing better.