Posts by fourstrk

It's not about what you need, it's about what the Kemper is.
    I didn't see this on any of the competitors products.

Hey KPA has a USB slot why we can't use MP3 files for backing Tracks?

No one else has a Profiler. Why invent one? See my point?

With the transition to digital technology there‘s a whole lot of things which can be added by software which give value to the user. For example a metronome(-stomp).

This is the big advantage. I personally do not use some stomps (e.g. whammy, transpose, most delays, ...) but I am glad that they are available when I need them.

The KPA is a flexible tool and a metronome is crucial for practising timing and rhythm.

Probably because it was only intended for communication with the remote, nothing else.

For hardware which shall live long, the more I/O flexibility there is, the better. Probably for a Kemper MK2 they may think about adding Ethernet again to support some protocols, let‘s see.

I was hoping for the KPA having an Ethernet API. This hope died when the Stage came out without an Ethernet socket. Would have been great to at least keep the option and keep the product ecosystem aligned. I do not know the background of the decision but it seems that they limited themselves for the future here. The Head / Rack versions came with a physical connector but without any functionality on the Ethernet port. Why not going the same route with the Stage?

To only thing I do not like this much on the Stage is that they did not route the Ethernet plug out ... if they did, there would have been a chance to be able to control the Stage (and the other profilers) via Ethernet, which then would enable a smartphone / tablet application. Especially in today's stage environments (digital mixers, WiFi, ...) the integration into an existing stage-network would have made sense to me.

Ich hatte auch schon einmal einen "schlechten, nasalen Sound". Nach ewiger Suche war dann die Ursache klar: mein nicht verbundenes Wah Pedal stand angeblich auf "toe". Wäre auch kein Problem gewesen, wenn ich nicht ausschließlich die Option "Wah@Move" (oder wie ihr das nennt) nutzen würde ... habe dann händisch den Wert auf "0" gedreht und alles war gut. Der Fehler ist seit dem nie wieder aufgetaucht ... das Pedal schließe ich manchmal nach wie vor aus Faulheit nicht an.

...it sounded great, particularly out front, but not at ear splitting levels.

I have to admit, my rigs sound way better at home through studio headphones than through my IEM, especially with sounds having higher gain. But for live use, I basically do not care too much about the overall sound quality (in my IEMs) - what really matters is that I can hear _what_ I play and _what_ the others play. I kind of rely on the KPA sounding great over the PA (which is does). After listening to my cues afterwards in the DAW over the studio headphones it always sounded as I expected it to do.

There is a little coloration but I’m sure that’s what gives it the “amp in the room “ feel

Funny thing is this: I exclusively use the KPA for about 3 years now for playing guitar at home, in rehearsal and live via either studio headphones or IEM. Now we got some Yamaha DXRs as satellites for live use ... since these cabs seem to have a good reputation at the "FRFR"-gang in this forum, I took it home to test it. Now read this:

The sound I got was what I expected. Absolutely nothing to blame. Here's the but: since I am this used to "directly" hear the guitar in HiFi via earphones, I had difficulties playing without headphones since it all was "wibbeliwobbeli" and way more undefined as if I play direct with headphones. Basically I learned these days, that I do not want to go back to an "amp in the room". 8)8o

Had the same problem a few years ago with a Dunlop wah. I ended up replacing the bottom metal plate with a wooden one, quite similar to the Harley Benton alternative above, except that I learned that due to the weight of the pedal, I would be safer to use velcro all over the bottom of the Wah instead of just at the tips as Harley Benton is doing it.

Jetzt lasst alle mal die Kirche im Dorf. Das OS 5 bzw. 6 läuft absolut stabil. Wer nicht unbedingt das Preset-Management benötigt wartet auf OS 8 mit dem Editor. Alles dazwischen ist offensichtlich einem Refactoring unterzogen, das im Hintergrund läuft - anscheinend u.a. ein Umzug auf Datenbankarchitektur. Nun entstehen bei einer solchen Geschichte einmal „Bugs“ die leider auch erst im Feld gefunden und bei Kemper in der Vergangenheit schnell behoben worden sind. Leider war das Timing mit dem Stage aus dieser Sicht in der Urlaubszeit unglücklich, als dass es die Software-Varianten im Feld ad-hoc erhöht hat. Ebenso gab es dort größere Themen wie ausgefallene Fußtaster etc., die verkaufsschädigend sind. Blöderweise hat genau dieses Produkt den Schrei nach einem Editor noch verstärkt und die meisten Softwerker waren währenddessen im Urlaub.

WENN man Kemper überhaupt etwas vorwerfen kann, dann ein ungünstiges Timing des Releases für den Stage Profiler. Hiermit hat man sich selbst unter Druck gesetzt. Aber selbst dies ist nicht möglich ohne Hintergrundwissen zum Ablauf und Business. Aus der 2018er Perspektive hätte alles Sinn gebracht ... erst Presets, dann Editor, dann Stage. Am Ende werden wir wohl nicht erfahren, was der / die Gründe sind, weshalb der Editor sich verzögert und damit die komplette Planung nichtig gemacht hat.

Eine Sache noch - meine Meinung: wenn Berufsmusiker ist, dann updated man nicht als „Early Adopter“ sondern nach ein paar Wochen und testet sein Equipment zu Hause durch. Das Risiko kann man so schon einmal wesentlich minimieren. Ich gebe zu, dass ich auch mit „Gottvertrauen“ update, aber nur, wenn der Worst-Case absehbar ist (bei mir: Kemper mal in der Probe per USB-Stick downgraden - musste ich aber noch nie). Vor Gigs mache ich keine Experimente.

Das Labeling von Versionen scheint manchmal etwas arbiträr - das empfinde ich auch so. Hier könnte man definitiv etwas besser dokumentieren. Wenn es eine Beta gibt und man sich bei Teilen der SW nicht sicher ist - wieso dann nicht in der Release-Note darauf hinweisen, sodass die Nutzer diesen Teil testen können wenn sie möchten?

Since 2014, I am using the Superlux HD-662 (32 Ohms) which I bought for 34€ rather as a quick replacement ... I played the Kemper at some point over the beyerdynamic DT-770 (no idea how many Ohms) at remember it to sound great. However, when I got back home then I did not really re-think the Superlux - until now.

I got overwhelmed by how many headphones there are and like to know which ones seem to be "the" headphones for playing the Kemper. I know it's subjective but for active speakers there are similar discussions going on and some "best practices" available.

Which headphones shall I consider? Thanks!

Chances are that they keep fixing the OS with 7.X.X. As soon as they find it stable they will just count the version number up to 8.0. Hence, my guess is that we won‘t see an OS 8.0 BETA. It will be stable by then.