Posts by keuneke

Discontinuation of Eventides pay-for-feature has shown that the model does NOT work commercially, I suppose.

Roland tried a subscription model (Roland Cloud) and I think that isn't going too well for them. Eventide tried a model with paid upgrades that software-wise upped their H9 to H9max or added single additional effects. That was meanwhile discarded, from which I would infer that it also failed commercially.

Was the world not ready for such things, but now is, or how should Kemper find a solution? My guess is that no single company will succeed alone in establishing a commercial model for this. But if you look in the DAW-space, VST-plug-ins were a success as far as I can judge. Steinberg opening their software platform to others.

Imagine a world where you would buy a QC from Neural and then buy some software-plugins from TC helicon for your vocal effects to run on the QC. i would love that.

Question is, if it is feasible to implement an open software-platform of sorts that runs on such diverse hardware as Kemper, Fractal, Helix, QC....

the Player Manual states that you can control Freeze via MIDI using CC#35. Any value sent toggle between freeze activated and deactivated.

Seems quite a lot of people (including me) use the m-vave chocolate footswitch. To iphone/ipad apps, the chocolate can be connected directly via bluetooth. With the Kemper you can go wireless using the bt-receiver/transmitter sold separately.

But it would be very nice if the Kemper (Player) would support MIDI via Bluetooth directly, so that devices like the Chocolate but possibly also IOS/Android Phones/Pads running MIDI-Apps could control the Kemper.

I went for MIDI (m-vave chocolate) since I need to use the single exp/switch input for my expression pedal controlling wah (and hopefully, some day, in the not so far future, please, when god and Christoph Kemper allow, please, ... whammy)

CC#73 controls the monitor output level. If you want to create a boost function that affects the signal at all outputs you need to send CC#7 and set the range for the volume pedal in the rig settings to a positive value. A value of +5 will give you a boost of 24 dB when you send a value of 127 for CC#7.

If you want this behavior to be global you need to lock the volume pedal settings in the rig menu.

... and what value for a +4db boost?

Hi all,

I want to use my MIDI-Footswitch (m-vave chocolate) to activate/deactivate a Solo-Boost (globally, i.e. no matter what Rig is currently active). According to the manual, CC#73 can be used for that.

In my quad cortex I configured a switch to give me a boost of +4db.

Now I wonder how that translates to MIDI-values from 0-127. If the level for Solos is 127 (max), what should be the value to give me 4db less? Something like 120? or 90? or what

Any ideas how this maps?

I’ve seen some people in the Quad Cortex community run their QC from powerbanks.

Anyone already tried this with the player?

yep. I use a powerbank that delivers 100W in total (which is plenty, the Player needs only 24W) in conjunction with a special cable (that 'tells' the powerbank to deliver 9V). Note that you have to modify the cable (or use and adapter that reversese polarity) because the Kemper requires center negative polarity.
    Curiously, when I checked the delivered current with a multimeter I noted that the delivered current is actually 7,8V or around that. But it works flawlessly anyway.

The Kemper Player has brought me back to Kemper camp ;) Was a long time Kemper Powered Toaster User and switched to Quad Cortex when it came out solely because of form factor. Now, more or less just out of curiosity I ordered the Player as soon as I heard from it. And now, 5 days into playing it, I realize that this is my way to go.

And when I learned that (hopefully soon) the unit will be upgradeable, I fully support that approach. For the time being I‘ll have to use my Helix Stomp in conjunction with the Player to make up for the missing pitch effects. But I‘ll be happy to shell out another 99EUR to get access to all effects, though I will most likely not make us of another 99EUR upgrade for the option to enable creating profiles on the unit.

Well done, Kemper! You made my life as gigging musician better yet again!

Now 3 days into using the Player and I am honestly loving it! I noted that the Bass, Middle, Treble controls on the unit appear to be the same kind as the ones for Gain and Rig Volume. For those two if you turn them while pushed, a different function (Noise Gate and Bluetooth Volume respectively) is accessed.

Bluntly assuming that the Bass, Middle and Treble control hardware-wise have the same capability, I think it would be great for the users to via this means get access to a *global EQ*. In the rehearsal room I found that *in general* the sounds I worked out at home were a bit to heavy on the bass. Then I had to change each rig separately. Which, since the bassiness was likely more due to the room, is not really the best method. A global EQ would solve this.

I got my Player a day before x-mas and here's my 2ct: I was a long time user of a Kemper powered Toaster, that I used to profile my Marshall DSL when I got it and lived happily ever after... until the Quad Cortex came along. Gigging quite a lot, carrying my own stuff, form factor and weight are extremely important to me, and so I switched to the Cortex, even though in my taste the Kemper profiles sounded just a smidge better than what I got out of the Cortex.

Enter Kemper Player. The chance for me to get my beloved profiles back (including my own Marshall DSL) and downsizing on weight and size yet again, so I ordered it the minute I heard about it. The last 3 days I spent more or less solidly playing, which speaks for itself. Only a few of my old rigs used more than 4 effects, so that isn't too hard a limitation for me.

However, the fact that -so far- Kemper have rigourously limited the available effect algorithms in the Player is really inflicting pain: In the 'pitch' effect group there is merely *one* effect, which is an octaver. No whammy, no simple harmonizer, let alone one that is diatonic. And that currently kills my idea of switching fully back to Kemper :(

I asked the support guys from Kemper if we can expect additions to the effect algorithms in future; the guy stated that that is yet in discussion in the company...

We'll see, but I'll keep the unit definetely, maybe for the time being adding an HX one to make up for missing effects....

But you can press Button 1+2 simultanously as an extra Button as also Button 2+3. So you can set them up to activate 4 profiles and button 3 for tuner, if you want...

... I noted that the combo-function of the switches (i.e. pressing 1+2 or 2+3 simultaneously for different functions) is greyed out in the rig manager and not present in the iOS editor. Called Kemper support (who are really great guys, kudos!) and they told me: the combo function is not there yet in 10.9.3 but will come in the next release. Just so you know and don't have to spend hours searching, like I did ;)

Hi there, rather than a foot-pedal I would like to use a ‚hand-operated‘ knob to control parameters. So I wondered if I can build a small box with just one potentiometer in it (so passive, without battery or so). Now I am not an electronics geek, but thought that must be pretty simple to do. Anybody know

a) what type of potentiometer should be used and

b) how to wire it to the tip, ring, sleeve connectors

?

any help appreciated.

p.s.: and then one step further: would it be possible to use the third control on my stratocaster for that like so: wire vol and tone1 pot so that they control all pickups, change the output jack of the guitar to a TRS one, then use the third pot in the guitar between ring and sleeve. Take an insert-cable to split guitar output and ‚expression‘-output into two mono-jacks and use them separately. Could that work?

... so if you're brave enough you could physically disconnect pins 1+3 of a MIDI-cable (they are actually not used for anything according to the MIDI standards) and see if it then works