Posts by patrick2099

Used the EW-D at a gig last night. I ran an 18 inch cable from it to the Kemper. I thought everything sounded fine. There was no interference, but that place I played I typically don't get interference with anything.

The app did not work, at all. It said "Out of Bluetooth range or switched off". I tried making sure no Bluetooth devices were connected to my phone, turning Bluetooth off and on again, rebooting the phone, rebooting the EW-D. Nothing I did could get the phone to communicate with the EW-D. Good news is, with the front panel buttons, it took about 15 seconds to have autoscan run and have the transmitter paired.

Also broke a string during the middle of a song (Oddly, that is the first time I can remember breaking a string when playing in front of other people.) It has happened at home before, but never out.), and swapping guitars in the middle of the song took about 3 seconds, with the EW-D. I think it was a benefit of having an actual cable vs the G10S transmitter I would have had to put down.

I will try repairing everything, at home, to get the app working, but honestly since I'm only controlling one wireless unit, doing it from the front panel is fine with me.

I believe that all the cable capacitance setting on the Line 6 does is shave a little top end off. It takes more off at the hither settings. I have not played with the new unity you bought but Sennheizer units I have owned had an EQ in them that you can adjust if you want to. You could always use that to take a little top end off if you prefer that sound if your unit has that feature.

There is no EQ in this unit, either from the app or from the front panel.

Band practice got canceled last night. Going to try to sound check with it tonight. If there are any issues, during sound check, I'll have my G10S and a cable. I hate going into a gig with two new pieces of equipment, but at least the other one (Kemper Remote) will make things easier and not harder. Don't know how I lived without that thing for several years.

Hey, Patrick.

It sounds like you're getting things dialed in. Please keep us in the loop as you have more experience with it in different settings.

Thanks,

ST

Will do. I wish I was playing at one of the places with massive interference on Friday, but it's somewhere out in the middle of the sticks where I never had a problem with my G10S. (just realized I forgot to hit save)

Hey Patrick.

When you use the Line 6 G10S, how have you set the Cable Tone?

30, probably because I didn't like how it sounded "naturally". Guess that's a hell of a feature I kinda took for granted.

I did end up running it through my powered cab today, not at gig volume but at a volume louder than I bet my neighbors appreciated. It sounded a lot better through that than my studio monitors. I turned the gain back down to what the manual said, and put my clean sense and distortion sense back to 0 as well. I thought is sounded pretty good today. I haven't had a chance to test it direct to the DAW with the cable I use, as you suggested yet, but I plan on doing that.

I have full practice tomorrow and a gig on Friday, so we'll see how it holds up. I did notice some dropouts, in my living room. It was really close to a wireless access point and a security cam hub, but I wouldn't think the 2.4ghz and 5ghz stuff should have any affect on it. My Line 6 is totally unusable in that room, without unplugging the other devices. It always recovered really quickly, from the dropouts, but it seemed like the sound changed slightly when it recovered. I still no very little about wireless units, but am trying to learn more.

Hi mates , i test fusion profiles for this one:)

Check it out

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

That was great!

Thanks. Those look like the manual settings I was using for unity gain. The way I was initially testing was going directly into my interface into a DAW. With only 3 dB increments on the EW-D, I wasn't able to get it to exactly match the output level of the cable, looking at the meters, but I did get it close. The sound with the EW-D was a lot thinner sounding than the cable, though. I know the wireless isn't going to sound the same as a cable, but it sounded like it cut a lot of the "meat" out of the tone.

I was using a three foot guitar cable from the EW-D into the DAW and the same cable into the Kemper.

On a positive note, I was in the same room as my router, and with it being in a different band, did not have a single dropout. The latency was also completely indistinguishable from the cable. Curios to see how perceptible the difference is at band volume level, vs bedroom volume level. It may not even be an issue.

I am fine having different locked input settings for a cable and for the EW-D. I just don't want to have completely different performances set for each. Since the tone is getting thinned out on the way in, I'm not sure how much the global output settings could compensate.

I haven't had much time with it yet, but I'm still trying to figure out the EW-D. It is definitely changing my tone, and not for the better. I A/B'd it with a cable, and it is definitely noticeable, using the unity gain settings in the manual. I know a wireless unit is never going to sound exactly the same as a cable, but I think my Line 6 G10S sounds better, which is surprising, given how much cheaper it is. I still want to mess with the GAIN the AF OUT and on EW-D and the Clean Sense and Distortion Sense on the Kemper, to see if I can get it sounding closer to what I expect. I'm not sure if anyone at Sweetwater has any tips on that. I have tried several settings, but so far I think the best I can get is GAIN at 30 dB and AF OUT at 18 dB, with Clean Sense and Distortion Sense both at -2.0 dB, on the Kemper.

To reiterate what other people have said, you want to test your rigs at gig volume, rather than just headphones. Even if it's not through the exact system you will be using, if it isn't loud it isn't going to remotely sound the same. You also probably need less effects (especially reverb) than you have set going into your headphones. I like a little extra reverb in the headphones, to fill out the sound. That will make things muddy, live.

Also, don't forget you can go into the output and adjust global parameters very quickly to fit the room. I usually have to make a few tweaks in there at sound check. And the Monitor and Main in the output have separate sets of global parameters.

Every sound man I've worked with always mentions that the signal is very hot. I've got the main output down to - 30dbs. And sometimes they're not easy to deal with when you're trying to tell them to keep my signal direct without any preamps or other.

I run mine at -28. I thought it was just me.

glad you’re all set. Sorry fat-fingered Mark’s last name “bruhn”

No problem. I appreciate you trying to help. I'm pretty sure that, years ago, my first rep being non-responsive is why I switched to my current rep, so I probably just jumped the gun. I feel like a jerk, but everything should be resolved. Thanks again.

Well, this one was completely my fault. I was emailing my old Sweetwater rep, not my current one. I probably should have just called the dude, rather than assuming either he quit or wasn't responding to emails. The old rep eventually got around to forwarding the email to my new rep, who contacted me shortly before Tom Koch did (Tom was super fast, so thanks for the recommendation BayouTexan ).

My Sweetwater rep is Mike Godlove. He is pretty knowledgeable. I would contact him if you want to be able to ask questions to someone that can give you some information over the phone. Certain frequencies usually work better in specific areas. I know Shure used to have the regions listed on their web site years ago to assist with selecting the one for your area.

Thanks. Just sent an email to a different one. If I don't get a reply from him in two days, I'll your guy.

Thanks again. I think I'm going to order the EW-D CI1 Wireless Guitar System - R4-R9 and hope for the best. Probably going to hold off a bit. My next gig is kinda away from the nearby cities, so it probably wouldn't be a good test. Probably want to order it to coincide with one of my gigs in more of a downtown area.