Posts by ZSchneidi

I like these:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/eq_a…um_studio_tile_50l_bk.htm

Looking good, mounting brackets are available too, different colours, different sizes, not too expensive (for my taste). The link above is only an example. Go to thomann.de and search for EQ Acoustics.

Yeah that is the kind of absorber i build myself. These are pretty basic and easy to build. My first attempt wasn't perfect but decent.
    It cost me around 40€ to build myself a 120cmx60cm piece and that only because i used refined wood which was pretty expensive ;)

I will send you guys a picture of the result. I pretty happy with it so far. This kind of absorber kill a lot of unwanted reflections and room noise.

• Never place your speakers near walls, always leave some space ... 50cm or more
    • Check the internets for Basotect foam. It has very good sound absorbing while being super lightweight. Adhesive ones are very easy to attach to the ceiling. (100cm x 50cm x 10cm weighs 450g only as opposed to 1.5kg for PU foam)
    • Only buy 10cm (4 inches) thick no matter which kind of foam material you end up buying.
    • Don't try to soundPROOF your room, ever!!! Unless you have space and budget for a room-in-room build. The inside of a studio room must NEVER be totally dead. Put a nice thick carpet / rug on the floor and as a rough guidance, cover 50% of the walls and ceilings with sound treatment.
    • Imagine your room walls and ceilings would be all mirrors. When you sit in the listening position, put foam in all places where you would see your speakers in the mirrors.
    • Stay away from egg carton or pyramid shape foam!

The above will already make a HUGE improvement. If that's done you can still think about adding bass traps or other stuff.

1. I know that this is common practice but i have no option to keep 50cm distance. or else my desk would stand in the middle of the room ;)
    The foam behind my speaker helps avoiding early reflections. Hope this is enough.
    2. Yes is stumbled upon the Basotect foam before. I had in mind to treat my bigger wall to a higher degree with this kind of foam.
    Does ceiling treatment helps to avoing noise getting out of the room too ? or is it just to kill room reflections ?
    3. 10cm ? Really ? I had more 4cm foam in mind. Would you say that below 10cm the effect wouldn't be enough to have any effect ?
    4. Ok a room in a room scenario isn't necessary because i'm not the full volume amp guy. I use the kemper at maximum via my M-Audio M3-8 speaker
    at like half volume. So not that loud and no real air movement. At least not what an amp would push. Do you think that my noise would be noticeable by my neighbors
    even after a wall treatment ? Is foam itself that inefficient ?
    5. I heard of that practice before. I'm not a friend of treating specific spots on the wall. I would imagine that the sound waves wouldn't directly reflect to
    me anymore but indirectly after reflecting in multiple angles and hit me at some point so that i have still unwanted reverb. I don't want to sterilize my room acoustic.
    But i'd rather treamt the whole area behind me as well as only just specific spots. Especially due to the fact that i want to prevent sound to travel through the walls.
    6. Egg cartons aren't really on the list. But why no pyramid shapes ?

The wall behind my Desk is treated with these foam Panels
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_…_was7_absorber_8erset.htm
    They do a really good job so far.
    Bass traps would be one thing i can think off. But so far i have no issues with standing waves our bass collection.
    I already analyzed my room acoustic via frequency generators. That way i can easily find room modes.

Hey guys,

i just moved and rebuilding my home studio rig.
    Now i have the situation that i want to soundproof my room.
    And i would like some recommendations and tips from you guys.

Has anyone of you soundproof their room before and can give me some tips ?

I have a small room for me like 2,50m x 3,60m so not that big and not that much wall surface to cover.
    One wall goes right to my neighbors and i don't want to risk disturbing them to much.

I just started with the wall behind my desk and put acoustic foam on it in the middle i build myself
    a broadband absorber. so that wall should be fine. I try to send you a picture asap.

Now i want to address the wall to my neighbors this wall should be treated on the full surface to ensure
    not much noise is transferring to their rooms. And i want to soundproof my door too so that not much noise is
    leaking into our own flat. Or else i might get into trouble with the house dragon. ;)

I have three things in mind. Either acoustic foam, broadband absorber panels, or curtains. What you thing would
    be the best choice and since i want the whole thing look a bit aesthetic i need some recommendations that doesn't
    look to shitty in the end ;)

Important is that i can easily remove the whole treatment in case I'm moving out again.

Maybe you have done something like this yourself and can share a picture to give me some inspiration.

Tanks guys. Picture of my current setup following asap.

I have the DT990 pro in 250 ohm.
    They are very good but maybe not everyones go to choice.

I also have a pair of AKG 240s. I don't use them because the DT990 replaced them.
    I tried the AKG one on the kemper and never again. They sound just bad.
    Unusable for me at least. They lag so much high end and high mids. You are missing so
    many details.

That doesn't mean one can enjoy them if its their personal taste.
    So you just need to test them both and compare them yourself.

For me the DT990 are way better but the high end on the DT990 is pretty dominant.
    Piercingly painful at louder volumes even. So if high definition resolution on headphones isn't
    quite what you need you should go to other headphones. Other Beyerdynamics don't oversaturate
    the hights that much.

Just go to a music store and compare them.

Hey guys i need to share some thoughts on this pack.

Yesterday i bought myself the BE-100 Pack after Tim was so kind so send me a teaser profile.
    He asked me what kind of sound i'm looking for and he pretty much send me a profile that worked
    quite good for me. But i was curious what else might hide in the pack so i just needed it.

So i bought it and spend like 2 hours after work going through the different profiles. I have a lot of
    packs of different amps which left me pretty unimpressed and kinda disappointed in the past.

With this pack man thats another level here. I already send Tim a message how impressed and happy
    i am with his pack.

Most profilers out there tend to profile unsatisfying characteristics. At least for me. Even the
    more praised profilers can't quiet nail the tone i'm looking for.

What the Live Ready Sound Packs separates it from others is the tone variety.
    There are many different characteristics captured in this one pack. BUT!
    And thats the strong part for me. He didn't tried to hard to capture too different sound.
    So the pack hast like 20 profiles of almost the same amp setting but with very different
    Cab/Mic combinations so if you search for the sweet spot of an amp you have a higher guarantee
    to find it in this pack.

Thats where most other profile packs disappoint me. There are like 20 profiles in total in the pack
    out of that there are like 2-3 profiles in the gain range I'm looking for. And these 2-3 have a high
    change of missing the character that suits me.

Thats why I'm so impressed and happy with this pack. Out of those 136 profile i found 2-3 profiles
    I indeed liked and it was instant love. So I'm really happy with this.

I usually don't like the HBE channel on the BE-100 because its way to much gain and its tends to lose
    clarity. But this one profile man he nailed it totaly for me. The HBE channel with half gain is very strong and
    tight in the bottom end has crisp and hard punching mids and doesn't lose it in the higher frequencies.

That is so rare to find. I Love it. This may not work for Band or Live situations but in isolation this sounds amazing.
    And for practicing purpose i need something that sounds good in isolation.

And i was even able to reproduce the tone in the previews where i struggled with other profile packs before.
    So yeah the price tag on the pack may be higher compared to some others but this guarantees that the customer
    finds something really useful. And I'm very picky.

Thank you Tim for this amazing pack and your site will be my number one go to address when I'm searching for new
    profiles.

Maybe i can manage to take some time to record my end result.

Hey Micheal,

i appreciate that you took the time to take part in this.
    Please know that this never was intended to get personal or anything i apologized earlier in the thread for my initial pissed of statements.
    It had a lot to do with my frustration more with myself then with your profiles.

Today i know that your profiles like others have a lot to do with personal taste. before that i thought that kemper profiles would be more
    universal. i tried the 800 and AC30 pack but even with alot of tweaking i couldn't quite reach the point of satisfaction.
    I was just a bit confused why i couldn't get the results others had. And i guess its just depend on the whole setup and purpose.

I don't play live or anything so i might miss the point where your profiles really shine.
    Don't take this personally as you said you just can't satisfy everybody and someone will always come and bitch about stuff.

When i'm in the rehearsal room next time i will try you profiles on a real amp and see how they might sound on a live setup at
    full volume and how much of a difference that alone makes.

I know my suggestion might've sounded simplistic, but did you try lowering the bass (using the bass knob)?
    I get the feeling you've been trying to raise the frequencies you'd like to hear more of, but the logical, IMHO best-engineering-practice way to go about this is to first reduce the ones you don't like. This has the effect of leaving the ones you do in-place and more-natural-sounding than if you attempt to raise them in the presence of the ones you don't.

Once the bass has been reduced, you can take it from there, but you'll find that treble and mid boosts won't need to be as-drastic now.

If this doesn't work for whatever reason, raising Definition and then if you get desperate, the Clarity as well, should help.

Hey mate thats a good approach to keep in mind.

What I learned from this thread: Communicating with someone who does not try out any given hint and suggestion (Pure Cab still activated?), is to lazy to learn the basic operation of the Kemper or to try small tweaks, has no clue at all what he is talking about (almost all sentences make no sense here- just re-read - really no sense), is lost in ridiculous contradictions - this is pointless.

Not a big problem - community here tries to help everyone. But I fear, in this case it leads to nothing.

Hey mate i don't get it why the hate. I tried turning off pure cab. But that made it even worse.

Thank you. That is a good representation of what i meant.
    The Britt profiles seem to lack in certain frequencies i like especially the upper range.
    The Acys profile seem to be way more in your face. That is indeed what i mean with distant on the Britt side.

That may be personal taste but i prefer profiles that have everything and i cut off what i don't want. I just can't bring back what the Britt profiles are missing.
    The Kemper isn't very good in trying to guess what might be missing. I you tweak to much the profiles start to sound artificial. Thats my opinion.

I’m a little confused now as you previously said, “Would be possible but i freaking love the sound of those amps. Maybe i just heard mastered versions of it so far.” , when someone suggested you might not be into JCM800’s and Jubilee’s. You also said that other profiles of JCM800 sounded great , just not the MBritt pack.

However, now you are saying that “It might also be that the Marshall aren't just my type of character. I tried the Friedman BE-100 profiles and these are absolutely amazing. The Friedman has more presence in many frequency ranges. So maybe thats just more my kind of Amp.“

That’s quite a change of heart ;)

Yeah that may sound a bit inconsistent here ^^
    Lets say i love the British Rock and Roll type of tone. The Marshalls are good examples of that.
    But as i said i love the tone i'm hearing in many records but i never had played one myself. So maybe what i'm used to hear from records
    has not much to do with what the bare amp sounds like. maybe its the mastered mix thats pleasure me ;)

The Friedman itself come way closer to what pleases my ears. So yeah i love the Marshall sounds but maybe i'm a bit misled by records i'm used to hear.

M BRITT profiles are flawless. professional players and the consensus of better hobby players know this is true. If you go to MOMA in NYC, stand in front of a Jackson Pollock painting and think it’s crap, it’s not the painting that is being judged. Search for some major technical SNAFU in your set up, or begin to readjust your ability to perceive what a good amp profile in fact sounds like.

I'm not saying you are wrong. That like I said was my initial confusion why i'm getting no good results. Like a painting profile are a thing of personal taste. Maybe the Britt profiles are made to be as universal and flat as possible to
    allow major adjustments in any direction. Where other profiles are made for a specific purpose.

If nothing else is really wrong, I'm wondering if 800s and Jubilees just aren't his thing, and if he would be happier with a thicker, darker amp, in general.

It might also be that the Marshall aren't just my type of character. I tried the Friedman BE-100 profiles and these are absolutely amazing.
    The Friedman has more presence in many frequency ranges. So maybe thats just more my kind of Amp.

He's not. He uses P90s on stage mostly ... for profiling he mostly uses a Tom Anderson Telecaster as I told you earlier in this thread.

Ok misconception on my side.

For the clips (that the OP liked!) of the 800 pack Mr. Britt used a Gibson '58 Les Paul RI with vintage output humbuckers!!

So Michael Britt uses a T-Style guitar in profiling process most of the time, favours to present the rigs in the clips with P90 equipped Tom Anderson or like in this case with Humbuckers / Les Paul.

As said, the OP liked those clips and many people have no problems to use those profiles with different pu / guitars and get useful tones (maybe not the same, but comparable and very close to the tone in the clips). Conclusion for me: User error or something wrong / defect.

Sounds plausible. I can confirm that the demos sounded indeed very good. Or else i wouldn't have bought them.
    But i couldn't get the result i was hoping for.
    Britt is recommending tweaking the parameters of the profile to an individual liking.
    I guess its a combination of many factors here.
    The Fact that i'm using pretty hot PUs on a very different sounding guitar, i'm direct monitoring them without any post processing.
    I might be able to dial in the sound to come closer to what the previews sound like but i usually dont change profiles to much
    just minor adjustments to not mess up the original characteristic.

So i would say these profiles aren't just the best basis for me to build onto

I have no idea why people gloss over this and the importance of the guitar and pickups used. to create the profile. I've always noticed that the best sounds I get from any profile, not only MBrit profiles, was after using similar pickups to the pickups used by the person who made the profile.
    This is just real world, you can't dial an amp for single coils and expect that to sound good with humbucke except for sheer luck situation where an amp will sound equally good with a less paul as with strat when uputting all knobs at 12 o'clock. Ultimately the best sound is achieved by using the original guitar used in the profiling

I guess that is the part were my frustration began.
    Thats why i initially bitched about the Britt profiles in particular.

Because i'm a regular Kemper user i don't study which gear a certain profiler is using and what kind of character he tries to achieve.
    So I want a JCM800 for me one of the bigger Rock amps and correct me if i'm wrong but Rock and Humbucker pickups are not
    to far away from each other. So i see a Profile pack which should give me a Rock compatible sound.

But in the end I found out that the profiler is using p90 pickups to profile them.
    I looked up the profile description and found nothing that leads to the assumption that I could get bad results using HB pickups.

Other profiler create profiles with HB and SC so you can chose what suits you best. So yeah i guess that was pretty annoying
    for me.

you have hit on a VERY important point here. Often the sounds that are “best” in isolation aren’t the “best” in a full mix whether live or recorded. On the other hand sounds that fit in a mix perfectly often don’t sound great in isolation. And all of this changes depending on the type of music and other instruments in the mix. The key is picking sounds that fit the “context” you require.
    Glad you are at peace with your profiles now. Have fun rocking out on whatever profiles float your boat :)

Yep i guess the "context" is what leads the direction in the first place. After that comes the personal taste.
    Thats why one should always test stuff first before buying. Because only others say its good doesn't mean it
    matches ones taste.

Thanks mate...

So maybe i should try different variations to see if i get the signal to sound a bit more present.
    Don't get me wrong the sound i'm getting from my interface sound perfectly fine and loud and everything.
    My interface doesn't suck or anything.
    But there are these last 5% i feel i'm missing compared to the headphone out on the kemper.

These are my options.

[Blocked Image: https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/uploads/products/media/images/presonus-studio_1824-back_big.jpg]

I could use the XLR/TRS combi inputs what i'm currently using via XLR because i like to use balanced cables.
    The Kemper can only deliver TS compatible signal no TRS like you confirmed.
    But i guess that is fine because i only need short patch cables and have the ground lift on the kemper which eliminates the hum.

Or i could use the spdif outputs but i couldn't figure out how to direct monitor these inputs yet.
    Maybe switching from XLR to TS make a difference. I can set the input leven from instrument to line on demand.
    And maybe monitoring the kemper from the Monitor output or direct output makes a difference.
    Thomas Dill did a tutorial on exactly that topic and his results sound amazing although are a but more complicated.

Hey guys sorry for not responeding but as soon as the thread was moved here i had no access to it.

Now im fine.

So you guys made it clear to me how to interpret the profiles from M Britt or others.
    As far as i grasped it its not that the profiles are bad or im doing something wrong they just aren't
    my type of sound. And yeah as you guys said thats totaly fine because we all have different tastes.

I used to tend to darker sounding guitar sounds to the point where there were basically not definition left.
    Today with way better gear to monitor on i tend to brighter more open sounding amps and the
    kemper is capable of delivering to much information. I love profiles which use to full spectrum
    from good lows to crisp highs.
    These may not be good in live situations, what Britt seem to cover. But they sound good in isolation,
    I'm a bedroom guitarist without the need for a live setup so i wan't good full range amp sounds.

And there are other profiling studios that deliver very nice sounding full range profiles. They may not suit
    everyone like you said and thats fine too.

In the end it was just my fault to assume that every profile could be tweaked to every taste.
    But if the original profile is lacking to much there is no way or not point in trying to bring that back.
    Just go with profilers that suit your personal taste.

Thank you guys for teaching me a valuable lesson here ;)

You folks are great.

Perhaps stupid of me but have you tried connecting your Kemper to your interface with TRS or spdif cables? XLR should be conveying line level signal. You want instrument level signal instead.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Wait now i'm totaly fucked up ???
    What ?
    Does XLR on the Kemper transport another signal than the TRS ? Others mentioned earlier that the XLR might convince my interface to interpret the signal wrong.
    Although i think my interface should handle that correctly but i can switch the type of signal on my inputs.

What would you guys recommend to use ?
    TRS or XLR ? I can't monitor spdif like the normal inputs as far as i know my interface up to now.

Are there differences in signal level on the outputs of the kemper ? Man i have so many questions now wtf. ;)

So many free and commercial profiles out there. I have a lot of M. Britt's stuff, but also have many user profiles from RE in my favorites.
    Combinations of the type of guitar, playing style (talent), monitors/cab, audio interface, etc..all affect the overall tone.
    A profile may sound like crap when I play it, but hand my guitar over to another player and he can make it sound like freakin' heaven.

Not all profiles are good, of course, but just find the ones that you enjoy playing, that inspire you, and make music.

The personal taste and the ability to get something out of the system may be the biggest factor.
    There are definitely great profiles out there. In the beginning i went for commercial profiles because
    i expected them to be better then community profiles. But to this day all you guys out there profiling your
    gear you keep getting better and better is more and more fun to search for new great profiles from you guys.

That is the greatest thing with the kemper that it is community driven and no closed system. There is so much
    room for improvements. I always find something really nice out there. But i need to know whether i'm doing something
    wrong or if i just bet on the wrong horse here.

What headphones are you using? I'd think that perhaps your headphones are the weak link here.

I'm using Beyerdynamic DT990 pro so i guess they aren't the weakest link in that chain ;)

But you are absolutely correct here. The headphones could be the issue. i have a pair of AKG 240 headphones.
    Man these sound like total garbage compared to the DT990.

Scroll to the bottom right and enter your serial number from your KPA, last page of the system menu. Good to go!

It happens man! The community is here to help with lots of very knowledgeable members, not to mention the mods! Just be calm, and precise, with perhaps a more modest approach/tone. You'll get more mileage with this method! ;)

Heh thanks i kinda knew i would register my KPA guess i will do that later this day.

And you are right i tend to be a lil toxic especially when i'm mad with a situation. But you guys are awesome and still listen to
    my complaints and try to help me. i love this community. Others aren't that helpful.

HI

It would be interesting if you could record a unprocessed guitar track and then reamped 1-2 Britt profiles that you are having issue with, then let us download the files and compare it with our Kempers with the same profile. Then we would know for sure if you are hearing something odd or if it was the same as our profiles.

Just an idea.
    Jason

That is a good idea i guess. A DI track would give you the chance to prove me wrong or send me your results.
    I hope i can take the time today to record a lil di track. Doesn't have to be anything special. I will let you know when i got it.

Very insolent title and totally inappropriate choice of words! Wrong place to post here, by the way - "third party rig discussion" is where it belongs, I think?

That is what you said. But I don't want to contradict here...

Sorry im not able to post into these sections although i'm registered. But I might be just to stupid for that too.
    I usually take myself into consideration when it comes to blaming.

Maybe you're just not a Marshall guy lol.

Would be possible but i freaking love the sound of those amps.
    Maybe i just heard mastered versions of it so far.

Mike is a stand up guy - maybe you should reach out to him - my guess he will probably try to help you out.

I'm sure he is. Again this is nothing personal. But the man has better stuff to do than dealing with my shit ;)
    Thats why i come to you guys i guess you could tell me too what the real problem might be here.

As the guys above said i need to record a bit and show you guys what my problem is so you don't need to guess.