Posts by Indianageo

Hi All,
    I'm trying to set up to record with the Kemper to my MacBook with Garageband through a Scarlett 2i4. At the moment, I've got the Kemper connected to the Scarlett with an XLR cable and the Scarlett into the MacBook. I'm experiencing serious latency with the guitar signal (like 1/4 of a second) to the headphone monitor connected to the Scarlett. Does anyone know what the issue is? New to the Kemper.

Kind Regards,
    IG

Hi All,
    I've seen a few threads mention SPDIF cables as a good way to record from the Kemper. Prior to my acquisition of a Kemper (toaster, unpowered unit), I'd been using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 into my MacBook Pro. If I'm not mistaken, I don't think my Scarlett takes an SPDIF cable. How much, if anything, am I missing quality-wise if I simply plug the Kemper into my existing Scarlett and then that into my MacBook using an A-B USB cable versus using an SPDIF cable from the Kemper into, say, a Scarlett 6i6 (which I do believe is SPDIF cable ready). Any suggestions/recommendations appreciated to get the most out of my Kemper.

Thanks in advance,
    IG

Hi All,
    I couldn't quite figure out how to enter a sensible name upon starting up my new Kemper unit the other day. There was a prompt to enter a "Name" and I couldn't quite figure out at the time how to parse through the alphabet on the screen to select individual letters. So ultimately, and due to my lack of patience, I went ahead with a rather random sort of name. I'd like, if possible, to change that name to something more memorable/meaningful. Can this be done ?

Kind regards,
    Geo

I have been a hardcore gear nerd and tone tweaker forever. Take it from me, about 4.5 months in, it’s mind blowing. I feel like I have just now reached the point where I have maximized my core tone and it just keeps getting better and better.
    Don’t get me wrong, it was absolutely amazing from the start, but my live show is just top notch now. Every rig in every performance is dialed specifically per part. If I’m playing a shreddy solo in one song, I can get the clarity to cut and have note separation, if there is a slow solo break, I can have sustain and singing lead tone with tons of beautiful reverb and tape delay. All of this with ONE switch press. I would have spent twice as much on my pedal board alone to get where I am now, and I was really close to doing it. Adding midi and custom wiring, etc. Now, I have the Kemper remote and an expression pedal and I’m done. I’m in love.

That. Is. Awesome. So glad to hear you've got it all dialed in! Can't wait to get mine. Should arrive in about 8 days or so.

IG

Thanks for all the above. She's arriving...let's see... last week around Friday I think it was, the sales guy said he had to order in the white lunchbox version and that it would take about 10 days to 2 weeks. So hopefully by the 23rd it will ship and take a day to get to my place in SW London. Quite excited to plug into it!

I'm happy to hear you've had reasonable luck with the acoustic presets. Oh..If you think you'll be in the Wimbledon area anytime, do let me know and we can perhaps meet up at one of the local pubs around me if your schedule permits. The Hand in Hand or the Crooked Billet are good.

Cheers,
    IG

Yes, hopefully someone will chime in on the messaging issue. As to the pedal world.. Yes, I'm starting to think about that actually. I'm wondering if I need Kempers Foot Controller. Some people have said (in another thread I have going) that maybe I don't need the foot controller quite yet.. and that I might even be able to use a third party one? I really don't know how these things interface with each other and whether a third party solution would work very well. But all in all, I think I'll be blown away even without fx pedals and the like. I'd just be happy with some really good classic tones from classic amps. With that said, I would like to add a bit of creativity of my own into the mix, so I might look deeper into it. Do you have any pedals that maybe I should consider getting?

IG

Hi Malc,
    Nice to hear the white toaster looks great in the nighttime. I don't know exactly why, but I do prefer the white...It just looks "alien" to me if that makes any sense...like engineered in some other galaxy. It seems to inspire me creatively. I've put a deposit on a white unit and it's supposed to arrive for shipment to me in about 10 days or so. I'm looking so forward to receiving it. I ordered the unpowered version as well.

Sure, I'll pm you and hopefully next time you're in town we can meet up for a chat and a pint and talk all things recording and guitar related. Glad to see you got back into guitar after such a long break from it. UPDATE: Malc, I just tried to click on your profile so as to pm you but the system is denying me access. Do you know why this might be? Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? Apols, I'm new to this forum.

Cheers,
    IG

Depends how "small" but the situation you describe is one of these where I think a small combo amp might just work better. Of course it'd be possible to use a Kemper but there is more variables to deal with in order to achieve a good sound fast both on stage and in the room (especially if you haven't played amplified in a while as you say). As far as portability goes, I'd still rather bring a Blues Junior/Deluxe and a few stompboxes (and mic them if need be) for small bar gigs so I don't have to deal with the inconsistencies of the venues.

Hi Jed, Good points to think about. My reasons for getting a Kemper are two fold..1) as a home studio solution for my electric guitars keeping in mind its space saving characteristics and versatility (in terms of amp selections) over traditional amps, and 2) As an electric and possibly acoustic guitar solution to playing out at small to medium sized pubs and the like. I was thinking of combining the Kemper with a DXR10. I've also got a Schertler Jam 150 acoustic amp that I thought I might be able to use as a monitor. Again, I'm no expert whatsoever on live recording situations. I may just need to experiment (although that could get costly) and get familiar with all the technique and gear out there. But I'm hoping to avoid that experimentation by getting other users' suggestions for what they use and works for them. Thanks for your post and suggestions.

Cheers,
    IG

Hi All,
    People may not believe this, but I've been playing guitar for around 36 years and in most of that time it's been an electric. BUT, I have a confession to make... I've always played my guitars "dry" without amplification. I just never have found it convenient to plug in and play and really enjoy an amplified sound given where I lived (neighbors, etc). I do own a Fender amp back in the States (a Fender Stage Pro 185 I think) which I bought back in 1989 but it has sat more or less unused since then. So all this time, I've sounded like a guy plucking rubber bands, albeit with a fair degree of skill. I'm rather embarrassed about this.

So now I've got this opportunity, having met a really good female singer recently, to play small gigs and part of this set up will be the Kemper unit because of its portability. I know I need a powered speaker to go along with it and I'll probably go with the DXR10 (guide me if that's not a good choice please). But in addition to that, I'm thinking I'll need some sort of foot controller maybe to incorporate different dynamics like lead playing, or pedal effects maybe during songs. Not knowing a thing about live performing and the set ups involved, is it necessary that I purchase the Kemper foot controller, or are there other (possibly cheaper) alternatives to boost volume (for lead playing) for the purpose I just described? Or do I simply kick up the volume control on the guitar itself to accomplish (at least) the volume increase? Any thoughts? What type of simple set up will accomplish what I'm seeking to do here?

Cheers,
    IG

Hey, what's 3,500 profiles between friends. : ) But seriously, I don't think I'll have any problems whatsoever finding tones that I like. In addition to my own stuff, I've always wanted to dial in certain songs that have certain tones (for example, Gilmour (Comfortably Numb), Knopfler (Sultans, Bros. in Arms), Page, SRV, Lifeson, and a few others) and I'm sure the Kemper will do the trick.

Thanks again everyone. Your comments confirm my decision to go with a Kemper is the right one for me.

Cheers,
    IG

Hey, Nice to meet you. How are you enjoying your Kemper so far? Did you get any profiler packs yet? I'm still on the verge of buying one. I think I've got my mind made up on color (white/silver). I'll probably order mine today or tomorrow. How often do you make it into London?

To Anyone,
    I'm wondering if I can use my existing Schertler acoustic amp (a JAM 150) as a powered speaker for my Les Paul with the Kemper? Would the Schertler serve as an effective powered speaker in this case? I'm a complete noob to live setups. Being out of work at the moment, I'm hoping to save a bit of money rather than going out and buying something like a DXR10. But I have a feeling I may have to bite the bullet.

Thanks,

IG