Posts by Withanell

Main concern is compliance. How do you get around your local certification for high voltage appliance mods?

As it is not modifying the ICEpower amplifier in anyway other than switching it back to stereo, no compliance is lost. It operates within the OEM spec of the amp. The only actual modification is the drilling of the holes in the chassis.

-Les

This looks like something I could be very interested in. I was about to buy a separate amp unit to power my second Boogie.

Warranty is a worry. Do you have a video showing the mod installation and if you don’t mind me asking. How long have you had this installed and in use?

I don't know why I'm no longer getting notifications from this forum, my apologies for the delay.

I am in the process of making several videos and will make one for the installation, however, I have not as of yet.

I have had this MOD installed since I made the prototype back in February. I also install and test every single one I build. It's currently installed on both of my Kempers. It sounds fantastic!

-Les

The Mod went through several revisions before settling on its current configuration.

Originally I didn't want any cosmetic change and was going to do exactly as you stated with a TRS and Y speaker cable.

In order to do that, I would have to instruct the person doing the mod to solder 4 connections on a non discript board. As I could not gaurantee the ability of the end user to do so, I instead decided to go 100% solderless.

Solderless requires you to have an extra Y cable hanging off the back of the Kemper so a hole would have to be drilled anyway. I decided to have descrete outputs to clean this up a bit. (two Y cables off the back didn't appeal to me and I wanted to clear up any possible confusion)

The added benifit of having the Y cable with my Mod is I can amplify my Kemper and a Stage because I have access to both ins and outs of the poweramp.

You are 100% right. I do not recommend my mod to anyone who is worried about their warranty or cosmetically changing the appearance of the Kemper.

There is more than one way to skin a cat... I'm just providing another option.

I made sure to plaster the warranty issue all over my website before actively selling.

As far as losing the permission to use it from the local authorities... I understand that the Kemper was submitted for testing and class compliance in its current configuration. My MOD just reroutes the input of the amplifier and bypasses the Bridged mode on the internal amplifier. Technically the MOD isn't modifying anything permanently except for the two extra holes in the chassis. The amplifier inside is still operating within its OEM specs.

Any damage caused by negligence during DIY install is the sole responsibility of the customer. No implied warranties are given or expressed.

P.S. I love all my Kempers. I just wanted stereo :)

I haven't been very active on this forum... but I did make a DIY stereo MOD for the powered rack and head that I sell on my website. https://withanell.com/store/kemper

I also have it available on Reverb.com at https://reverb.grsm.io/withanellMOD

I kept it solderless...because of this it does require you to drill 2 holes and there is an external y cable. The cool biproduct of that is you get access to both channels of the amplifier and can actually use it to amplifier other fx if needed.

If you aren't afraid to take apart the Kemper, it is a relatively easy MOD. I've sold a bit under 100 units so far and haven't ran into any problems with installation.

My MOD bypasses the "switch" that runs the stereo amp in bridged mode, giving access to the left and right channel.

This looks impressive. How are you splitting the factory amp? And what is the 3rd 1/4 input for?

The 3 1/4 Jack's are: Stereo input (for the y cable for left and right input), Left Speaker out, Right Speaker out

Originally I was doing it for myself as I didn't want to ship it off. I realized that other users may be in the same predicament.

I was going to solder the input internally, but trying to describe the 4 non-discript points on the unlabeled board didn't give me faith that I could gaurantee a safe DIY install for all of my users. So I took the soldering out of the question and figured if you were already comfortable drilling one hole, an extra one wouldn't be a problem. You plug the y cable into the monitor and direct outs, and boom stereo Kemper.

The bonus is you can actually use my MOD so that 1 channel amplifies the Kemper and the other amplifies a non-powered unit (unpowered Kemper, Stage, AxeFx, Helix, Quad Cortex etc.)

I haven't been very active on this forum... but I did make a DIY stereo MOD for the powered rack and head that I sell on my website. https://withanell.com/store/kemper

I also have it available on Reverb.com at https://reverb.grsm.io/withanellMOD

I kept it solderless...because of this it does require you to drill 2 holes and there is an external y cable. The cool biproduct of that is you get access to both channels of the amplifier and can actually use it to amplifier other fx if needed.

If you aren't afraid to take apart the Kemper, it is a relatively easy MOD. I've sold a bit under 100 units so far and haven't ran into any problems with installation.

I LOVE MY KEMPER!
    I've been a fan of Kemper since they were announced. Earlier this year I got my first Kemper and registered here even answered questions one the forum but never introduced myself.

Now that that's out of the way, my name is Les.

I've been playing guitar since I was 11.
    I teach guitar amd uke full-time as well as I'll be launching a website soon with tips, tricks, profiles, and gear.

I'm also an Allparts, WD Music, and Mojotone dealer. So, if you are in the states and need some parts let me know and I'll make sure everyone from the forum gets a discount(Not sure if anyone else already offers this). :)

Just to add to the possible phase/merged profiles issues happening, you may want to try tweaking the Bass, Treb, Middle, and Gain while the band plays.

A lot of tones sound awesome by themselves, but in the context of a full band frequencies get lost and mushy. I used to be in a metal band with tube amps. The lead guitarist would get this beast of a tone on his own, and my tone sounded equally awesome. When we played together, however, neither one of us could hear ourselves. Then the volume wars started. Since realizing frequencies have a HUGE effect on perceived volume, I NEVER have to turn my amp up and the Kemper powerrack is more than plenty for me.