Posts by PhilsKF

Hello,

I have been using a pair of the Celestion Redback 150 speakers at 8ohm each wired in series for about a year now with my Powerhead. I have been "sort of" satisfied with

the tonal results, but there has always been something lacking no matter how I dial in my profiles. I am thinking of going to the new KONE to see what results I get in

comparison.

Are there any ACTUAL owners of these KONE speakers and what are your opinions/thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!:thumbup:

Thanks...
    I actually thought about a feedback exterminator a few days ago but then decided:
    1. it would probably "mess" with the total overall frequencies and not sound good to me or the patrons.
    2. another piece of gear to contend with

I do not own one or have access to borrow one for testing purposes. However, the Kemper covers so much tonal ground for me that it may well be worth buying and trying. I am really tired of lugging around the big, heavy, tubes needing upkeep amps and their quirks.

Update :
    As of this writing after band practice today, I do not get either of my 2 amps to "feedback" with their volumes more than loud enough (perceived volume) to fill the rooms we play as agreed upon between the 4 of us.
    When we tried it with the Kemper, the "feedback" occurs even before we 4 felt the guitar volume (perceived volume) was sufficient for our
    actual room performance.

Can you say frustrated/confused!?!?

A test I am now considering just being a novice audio person: I have a decent SPL meter somewhere, just have to locate it.

noting the reading using my SPL placed 1 meter from the Orange cabinet while using the Kemper till feedback occurs.

noting the SPL reading when using either the Marshall or Mesa amps at our (perceived volume) that is sufficient for when playing actual rooms.

Like I said, I am just a novice at audio if even that...

guitars that I always use exclusively are a strat and a paul, nothing else. I am in a classic rock cover band.
    interesting about the gain comment though. I use as much gain as needed with the Kemper profiles to get as close to those particular 2 amps.
    however, now that it is right in my immediate thoughts, I do not get feedback when performing the cleaner parts of a song, hmm...
    Right off the top of my head I can think of numerous songs and no problems until the bridge, etc..
    Over the Hills and Far Away (Zep)
    Run to You (Adams)
    Ramblin On (Zep)
    Lady (Styx)

I believe this is the culprit - now. how to address it when not actually performing.
    I guess we can try playing gig levels at rehearsal.That should prove interesting and annoying. Get those ear plugs out beforehand!!

The Kemper has proven to be a jewel no doubt.

One problem I am having though concerns "feedback" in live performance situations. I prefer my sound to only come directly from my guitar speaker cabinet, NOT the house PA, etc..
    So, I do not mic my cab or utilize a separate output feed to a board. The rooms we play are not that big and my Orange 212 handles the job when using a Marshall JVM410H or Mesa Roadking II with no feedback problems. However, the same rooms and setup using my Kemper as the main and only amp - - - ?(

Scenario:
    Kemper powerhead directly into a 212 Orange cabinet with Celestion Redbacks for a rating of 300 watts at 16 ohms. With no other Kemper outputs being utilized, the cab is placed (as designed by Orange) to sit on the floor horizontally. I tried several horizontal positions with none of them being within 10'minimum of the Powerhead. Also, the cab placements were never directly in back of me but rather off axis at least 45 degrees to either side. Results are great until I need to crank the powerhead to keep up with the other instruments during live performance with Drums/Bass/Keys/Vox.
    In a practice situation though, with my volume not needed as loud, no feedback problems..

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I hear ya - the Kemper "tone world" seems to never end. I thought I would ultimately have about 10 -15 great sounding profiles that would cover any and all my needs.
    Yes, all my needs were Easily covered...
    BUT - I am always amazed at all the new tones I am getting that have my interest as well. I am a Kemper tone addict now :!::!::!: