Posts by wwittman

Very curious to hear any follow up to this.

My (brand new) remote disconnected AND crashed the whole system the other day while I was just programming the Kemper in my studio...not even in a stage setting.

The one thing I might add is that, right out of the bag, the captured ethernet connector (on the shielded connector end) of my supplied cable wasn't quite right... the ethernet connector RJ plug inside had to be kind of forced into the right internal position or it wouldn't even plug into the Remote... so I had a slightly funky cable supplied to being with (from the Kemper US Store directly).
    But that still doesn't prove it was the cable' "fault".... although it makes me suspicious when coupled with your story.

did Sweetwater fix your issue with a new cable?

thanks in advance

I am thinking I should order a back up cable to be 'safe'

I know it's undoubtedly come up before, and I do also understand the 'advantages' of an online, downloadable, PDF Manual being more easily kept up to date or corrected...

BUT!...
    I can't be the only one who'd really like to have the option of purchasing a printed hard copy of the Reference Manual (currently 5.1), as opposed to having to dig through a PDF and carry a computer to have access to it, etc.

can I?

I find the idea of printing 196 pages at home to b a bit off-putting.

I've been wanting to switch to a lighter bass guitar, or at least give it a go, and I'm really enjoying digging in to this new Reverend Wattplower short scale.

I plan on using it (probably for the whole show, if things work out) on this upcoming summer tour.

...When I find an amp/cab stack that I really like for live or studio, I'll save it as a preset (hold stack down for a couple of seconds, hit store, store as stack, and name it) so I can find it easier. It's a way of saving a smaller number of favorite rigs that you can plug in to presets or performances without having to change all of your fx or copy everything. You can do the same thing with the stomps section, saving whole "pedalboards" as stomps presets and also with the effects section. It's very handy.

I realize this is an old post, but HOW exactly do you store the whole "pedalboard" stomp section?

thanks!

As I'm deep into setting up my Kemper for this upcoming tour, I just want to say a big "thank you" to all of you more experienced users on this forum for sharing so much valuable information.

Every time I've come up to a question or been stuck, I've found an answer by searching this forum, and it's made life so much easier.

so THANKS all! :thumbup:

Yeah, I’m not crazy about a guitar tethered to a laptop. But at least on a couple of my synths, there are way more knobs and way less submenus to navigate, and actually knobs with more productive spins.
    Meanwhile I can illustrate a dozen scenarios where a Kemper computer editor, if done well, would increase speed and foster more creative use of deep parameters, especially where creating multiple subtle variations of similar rigs are concerned. That’s me, though. I don’t enjoy all the knob spinning and menu clicking and odd file-saving protocols in the KPA, even though I’m pretty good at all of it, and obviously five or more years in, I’m still here. :)

And yes, for most applications, my work inside the editor would happen on my time, not in the studio or live.

It doesn’t sound like it, but I really do resist turning the KPA in to a computer versus using it more like a (versatile) amp. I just know that personally I’ve often taken the “easy” route instead of going deep, because the prospect of all the knob twists involved can be its own inspiration killer.

I agree to some extent, perhaps because I'm old!, but I'd rather have the option of a computer based editor that had all of the parameters visible at once, rather than nested in sub-menus for editing.

But, in truth, I'd probably use that tweaking in the studio rather than live, where a quick grab and less stuff set up is always 'safer'.

One of the appeals to switching to the Kemper for live use, for me, was to get rid of all kinds of other stuff in my rig... just ONE thing basically doing everything. I wouldn't want to add a computer!

"more like an amp and less like a computer' is definitely the appeal for me!

For anyone who has ever been on a soundtrack recording session with seventy or eighty cues, where slight (or extreme) on-the-fly tweaks (done quickly) are necessary throughout, and where each new tone must be saved as a new rig with a descriptor and cue-number name, in case there are changes later, you might appreciate why so many recording pros have been requesting an editor since day one. This argument that only home users want an editor is a conceit with no basis in reality.

PS This from someone who loves the tones, the front panel, etc.

I agree with the need for speed and flexibility in those situations, but I'm not certain why a SOFTWARE, or computer based, editor is intrinsically superior.
    I see an awful lot of synth guys on those big dates still editing on the Fantom (or whatever) and not on a laptop.

What I mean is that a lot of times you’re agreed to use, and show, let’s say Marshall, but in the studio, or hidden behind the curtain live, you’re using a Hiwatt. But you can’t SAY that in interviews without jeopardizing your endorsement deal.

I’ve been involved in far too many records where I’ve read the articles later that had every single detail completely made up.

All of my endorsements are non exclusive. And I really use the brands I endorse.
    But that doesn’t mean that they don’t want to be sure I mention them in every piece.

“ never touch my KPA when I am performing. In fact, it sits on top of my rack mixer in the back of the stage.... out of sight and out of mind. My foot controller is my only interface when performing...”

Exactly.
    That’s why I say a “player” only would be fine.

The helix or fractal are modelers. You’re basically building block putting together a sound in those boxes. (And it’s someone’s idea of an AC30 or whatever, not your ACTUAL AC30) it’s ENTIRELY different than your own profiles and so naturally is ‘tweakable’

I still can’t ever tweak one to sound good enough to replace my amps.
    With the Kemper I take MY sounds with me.

Also coffee maker and heated massage.
    For less than $100.

Seriously though: I’m wondering if there would be interest in essentially a Kemper “player”,
    That ONLY downloaded profiles and effects from your full-on Kemper Profiling Amp and let you play them.

That would be basically a Kemper without the Profiling ability.
    But anything less than that (output settings, multiple outputs, ability to turn effects on and off, tap tempo, etc) would probably make it unsuitable for live use.

That’s modeling versus profiling.

So a UAD model of a JCM800 might behave just like the one they modeled but sound nothing like MY amp, mic’ed the way *I* like to mic it etc.

That’s what I prefer the Kemper.
    It sounds like MY amps and recording prefs.
    But yes, the more you grab the profile the way you want it and NOT try to change the tone or distortion level after the fact, the closer it sounds.