Posts by timtrace

A little over 90 days later, the problem with unequal volume on the main left-right outputs on my Kemper Profiler has reappeared and will not go away.

Parker at Kemper Service says it sounds like a replacement analog board is in order.

Repairing my Kemper Profiler will cost $220 plus one-way shipping and cause 1-2 weeks of downtime.

Sure, the downtime's a bummer, but what can you do? Kemper Profilers aren't being repaired on every street corner, and in fairness neither are Bad Cats and Tone Kings /shrug

I suppose when the time comes, I'll rack up my trusty old Line 6 Pod Pro and carry on for a weekend or two in nostalgiac glory :)

For now, I'll run my Kemper Profiler in mono from the hotter output. If I need to be heard in stereo, I'll tell the engineers to twist the pan knob toward the weaker side, or I can use the fully functional 1/4" main outputs into a DI.

I remember that C. Kemper sayed in one post, that volume of the two channels is different, if someone uses the Double Tracker. I never understood why this is neccessary, but in all of my units (Toaster, Stage) the channel volumes of left and right are different if I use the Double Tracker. Me and most mixer guys didn't find that good while the use on stage.
    :/

Thanks! There is no double-tracker in use here, but I see how it could have the effect you've described.

Yes, out of the many units we sold, we have had this hardware issue before. If you don't want to get this repaired, the issue will stay.

Thank you for your willingness to discuss this!

I appreciate that a hardware problem could be resolved by adjusting a controlling parameter to both extremes and returning it to the desired middle setting.

The problem is gone and shows no signs of returning. Yet it's been only 12 hours and five power cycles. I'm watching closely.

Since you've seen this issue before, have others sent their Profilers for repair? If so, would you be willing to share the user-reported problem, the bench diagnosis, and the solution?

There is no global software switch that could get screwed. The hardware issue can fluctuate, perhaps related to temperature.

A fair premise.

My Profiler Rack has sat in the same 73F room for a week.

In 2020, another Kemper user reported the same problem and solution:
    RE: Right side is louder than the left side .!!!

There was another report on the problem in 2016, but the topic remains unresolved:
    Left and right are not balanced!

This might be hardware related. If Panorama is neutral, both should have equal levels. Software has no other influence. I'm afraid one of your outputs is broken since years.

Thank you for your input. It's interesting that simply adjusting the Panorama knob on one rig seemed to fix the imbalance across all rigs without any other changes. I'm curious if this action inadvertently triggered a system-wide adjustment or if a broader software aspect is involved. Your continued input on this would be appreciated.

I've had a problem with unequal left-right output on my Profiler Rack's main XLR3 connectors for literally years. It's remained a problem across many versions of the Profiler OS, with dozens of rigs, with different effects in all the slots.

Tonight I spun a rig's Panorama setting from 0 to -5 to 5 and back to 0. The problem was gone from all rigs. I power-cycled the Profiler. I went back and forth from browse to perform modes. The problem remained gone.

Is anyone having a similar experience?

Is this a Panorama bug?

Thanks, guys - is it ok to hate that behavior? :) It drives me nuts.

I don't have my Profiler where I can get to it right now - but I recall that this edit-retaining behavior doesn't happen in Browse mode. Am I correct about that?

If so, that could be the answer. When using Rig Manager, I'll line up five rigs in Browse mode, dial them in the way I want, then copy them to slots in a performance.

I need help fixing my habits when using Rig Manager and the Editor over USB. I'm frustrating myself, and I need a course correction.

Let's take a performance with 5 rigs of varying levels of gain, different morphing parameters, and switched effects. When leveling the output volume of the rigs in the performance, I jump between them with the Remote buttons, a click in Rig Manager, or from the front panel of the Profiler.

The problem happens when I edit a rig, then jump to another rig without saving, and make some edits to that second rig, then return to the first rig ---- the changes made to the first rig are still active even though I never saved those edits.

This behavior only seems to happen when using Rig Manager and the Editor. If I disconnect the USB cable and work from the front panel of the Profiler, things happen the way I think they should. That is to say, when I edit a rig in a performance, then switch away without saving and come back, the first rig will return to its saved settings.

Even though I know to expect things to work this way when using the Editor, it always throws me for a loop and causes frustration where I think none should exist. Is there a way around this?

Greetings - is anyone here using the Morningstar MC8 with their Profiler and Mission expression pedals? I'm interested in caveats relative to controlling a Profiler with this setup vs. the Kemper Remote.

After making the investment in $$ and programming, it looks like I could control my Profiler with an MC8 at least as well as with my Remote. Bonus - I'd have a lot of functionality on tap for other MIDI tricks.

Is this a good or bad idea and why is that so? Thank you!

Guys - when I've got the KPA connected to RM and I'm browsing rigs within a performance .... are changes that I make on the Remote supposed to be persistent right away, without having to save the rig or the preset expressly? Because that's what's happening to me. Thankfully, it doesn't happen when RM is not connected.

For example ... let's say I have my KPA connected to RM for a tweaking session. I have to check out the new double-tracker, amIright? :) So I call up a performance with a rig with several FX mapped to switches on the Remote. All of the FX are switched off. Without making any other changes, I stomp on a few FX. I then jump to a different rig or performance. When I come back to that first rig, the FX are on! In my mind, they should've been off because I didn't click save or anything similar before I jumped to the different rig or performance. I can go as far as to power cycle the KPA - it makes no difference; the rig has been messed with.

There doesn't seem to be any way to restore the rig except to pull a new copy in from the library, and most likely, that's going to be a different generation of the rig than the one that was originally in the performance. Ugh. I need to make backups more often, but I digress.

Right now, my KPA Rack is running OS 8.6.2 Public Beta and Rig Manager 3.2.57 for macOS on a MacBook Air M1 8-core running Big Sur 11.6. I don't know how much that matters because this has happened to me while running different versions of RM on other KPA OSs and other computer OSs (Mac/Windows). I'm guessing it's probably not a bug and almost certainly ignorance on my part about how RM interacts with the KPA. Please school me nicely - this is frustrating as heck. Thank you :)

Yeah, I just installed 8.2.2.28378 and RM 3.2.3017.230 and the FX preset list has very much calmed down.

These are the only effect presets remaining in AllPresets>MyProfiler. I dig that all of the other presets are now hardcoded into the OS. Why do these remain?

Again, I don't recall ever saving my own effect presets - but I sure did a lot of tweaking :) Perhaps that "Big Delay" preset is something I made and forgot about.

Is there any chance that one of my rigs has been blown up by all of this? I can't plug in an axe and check until much later this evening. It would be nice to know if I'm going to walk into a buzzsaw. =O

Guys - help me out here please.

Look at the screenie below. I've got so many FX presets on my Rack, and I'm not even sure how they got there. As you can imagine, scrolling through presets is a real PITA even with the category/type shortcuts.

I count at least one dupe (Large Plate/Large Plate and Small Plate/Small Plate).

If the "REVs" are dupes, then there are two dupes (Large Plate/Large Plate/REV Large Plate and Small Plate/Small Plate/REV Small Plate).

And that's just with the keyword "Plate." Now imagine a similar situation with "DLY" and "CHO" etc etc etc.

I don't think I've ever saved a single FX preset, so they all came from ... where? Not from me, anyway. :)

Which ones should I keep? Surely not all 931 of them.

If I remove particular ones, do I first have to go through my rigs and performances and select substitutes?

Thank you ---

Hooray! Using paults instructions, 40 of the 50 missing rigs turned out to be cab presets with KIPR extensions.

Next, I used this PowerShell code to find all the unique filename extensions:

Code
    get-childitem -File -Recurse| % {$_.Extension.tolower()} | unique

I had to doctor the results in Notepad ++, but eventually I had this list of Kemper-related extensions:

• .kipf
    • .kipr
    • .kperformance
    • .krig

I imported 8 performances with KIPF and KPERFORMANCE extensions.

Then I imported another 721 files with the new KRIG extension. I am positively swimming in tonal options. This Everything Pack is HUGE almost beyond belief.

Worth noting: Windows Search and "Everything" are showing different file counts. Windows tells me 4,096, while Everything says 4,100.

Still can't figure out - or single out - the remaining 10 or 14 KIPFs.

Any further ideas will be ... greatly ... appreciated :)

Greetings - let's say I have the Tone Junkie Everything Pack, and I want to import all of it into RM. I unzip the pack to the computer, go into the "Everything Pack" folder, and use Windows search to find all of the KIPR files. The result is 4,096 files in the search results window. I create a new folder in RM below Local Library, and drag the files from the Windows search results window. When the import is complete, RM tells me that 4,040 rigs were imported and 6 were already present in my local library (the 6 are probably true). But ..... where did the other 50 rigs go?

This is RM 3.1.62.16462 running on Windows 10 Pro 20H2.

Anyone else having an issue with unexpected wah sounds? It comes out of nowhere, sounds like one quick sweep of the pedal, then things are normal again.

These random wahs seem to happen when I haven't touched the Remote or my two Mission EP1s for several minutes. There should be nothing going on but awesome tone, and then ... blargh.

I haven't been able to figure it out. I use the "bypass on stop" feature, but like I said, these wah sounds happen seemingly without user input.

Any ideas? Thank you --