Posts by BasementBluesBoy

Hi Bbb,

zu dumpf.
    Selbst wenn ich Gain und Bässe zurückdrehe ist es nur bedingt besser.
    Aber das kann doch nicht der Sinn sein, denn ein Profile ist ja ein Snapshot eines Amps und wenn ich am EQ was ändere, habe ich ja nicht mehr den Amp, den ich wollte. :/

Würde ich so nicht sehen, sondern Du passt ihn ja nur ein wenig an, so dass Dir das aufgenommene Sample des Amps klanglich gefällt und besser in Euren Bandkontext passt.

Also den Amp kaufst Du mit den Profilen sowieso nicht auch wenn das immer so suggeriert wird aber es handelt sich doch um Momentaufnahmen eines Amps, die dem Ersteller des Profiles gut gefallen haben.

Es ist ja auch nicht nur der Amp sondern die ganze Signalkette, die in so einem Profil steckt und da machen Box und Mikro und Position des Mikros neben dem Amp auch eine Menge aus.

Bbb

Das sollten ja eigentlich brauchbare Profile sein. Was macht ihr für Musik? Welche Amps hast Du gekauft? Welche Gitarre benutzt Du damit?

Über KH anpassen bringt nichts. Du musst schon mit der PA und auf Basis der Gig-Lautstärke die Bearbeitung der Profile machen. Zu schrill über die PA bedeutet ja zu viele Höhen, daher vllt. mal probieren in der Ampsection - Definition und ggf. Clarity runter. Höhen raus und Mitten rein. Ggf Cabsim gegen eine etwas dunkler klingende zB Marshallbox tauschen. Mesaboxen, Bogner etc, die mit einem SM57 abgenommen wurden, sind in der Regel sehr schrill. Sonst auch mal mit EQ versuchen zB Lowcut bei 80Hz und Hicut bei 8kHz, ist es immer noch schrill Hicut weiter runterziehen.
    Auch mal gucken, ob nicht vllt der Input oder Output clippt. Gain am KPA etwas reduzieren oder ggf. auch Volume an der Klampfe etwas runter. Gibt viele Parameter mit denen man tweaken kann. Ist aber Arbeit. Plug n Play halte ich für ein Gerücht aus der Marketingabteilung.

Wenn ihr Aufnamen von Eurer Band habt, kannst Du die auch über die PA spielen und versuchen Deinen Sound darauf abzustimmen.

Aber tendenziell finde ich auch, dass der KPA dazu tendiert Verzerrung und Gainsounds etwas digital fisselig wiederzugeben, obwohl sich ein mikrofonierter Marshall über ein SM57 über eine PA auch recht bissig anhört, ist mir bei unseren letzten beiden Gigs wieder bewusst geworden, da ich live immer noch Marshall Röhren-Amps spiele. Und aufgrund der Problematik tweaking etc bisher noch nicht in der Lage war den KPA im Bandkontext zu testen, da das gut geplant sein will und die Sounds in etwa stehen müssen sonst führt das verständlicher Weise zu viel Frust, da die Kollegen und man selber ja Songs proben will und keinen Bock auf tweaking-Orgien hat, wenn es mit der Röhre Plug & Play ist.

Viel Glück.

Bbb

Yes, I have tried free Britt and Meulendijk profiles. The Britt profiles seem to be a little dull and Meulendijk's a little bright. But I will take a look the profiles again.

As I have a separate room in the basement for recording I can test the profiles at gig level.

Bbb

Ok, I think I will try some Britt profiles: Colonial, Marshalls, Diaz 100

What do you think?

Additionally, GoT sent me a message re their profiles, but I am a little bit careful with them as I read some reviews, which were actually not that great.

Any experience with their profiles?

Bbb

Since live EQ differs from home (better: guitar only) EQ, I use studio headphone and AUX In to tweak my profiles to backing tracks / songs. This works out of the box for each and every profile I use(d). By that you can place yourself very good in the mix, your neighbors stay your friends and your co-musicians do not get bored during rehearsal. (Imagine the keyboard player would tweal his sounds in rehearsal ... oh boy ...)

That is a good idea, if it translates well to the live situation.

Did you do a lot of tweaking to the Britt profiles? I will sometimes play through FOH X32 + L Accoustic PA and for smaller venues through DXR 10 only.

Does anyone play his profiles through DXR10 for live gigs.

On YouTube I heard somebody playing a Britt Plexi-profile, but on his website he does not offer a Plexi profile.

Plus you never know, what has been done to the tone to make it sound great on YouTube.

Bbb

Hi there,

I am a KPA owner for a couple of months now and I was wodering, if you could help me out with some tips re good sounding profiles for Classic rock covers.

I play mainly one of two guitars in a classic rock cover band. We play songs of: Hendrix, Zepplin, Bad Company, Clapton, Moore, Deep Purple, ZZ Top, Cream, CCR, Lenny Kravitz, etc.

I have an unpowered KPA and a DXR10 speaker. I would like to play the KPA at smaller gigs just through the DXR10, without a PA. So far I have been experimenting with free profiles and ReampZone profiles, mainly DI profiles combined with Redwirez IRs as I feel that the studio profiles, which are often captured through a SM57 turn pretty brittle and harsh when the volume is increased.

I have a few sounds, which I think could work live, however I would be happy, if you could recommend a few profiles free or commercial, ideally profiles, which you play yourself and have proven to sound good live to cover the bands named above.

Thx in advance for your help.
    Bbb

Funnily enough, at the gig, the Kemper was great......just using my DXR10 as my amp.....that said, the volume of the band was ridiculous.....only the Keys and Vox went through a PA!

That's another question about band discipline.......haven't checked yet how far I pushed the master on my Kemper....but the DXR10 was only set half way, so I had plenty of room to go!

What did you do to make the KPA sound great at the gig. I have a few gigs coming up in small locations bars etc., where only the vox go through a small PA, but everything else (Drums, Bass and guitars) will not be miked. As I am a little afraid that the KPA sounds fairly brittle, harsh and thin I played through my Marshall TSL 602 on the last gig. It is a great amp, but heavy as hell. Plus I would like to start utilizing the KPA but without sounding like a cheap razor when using crunch and gain sounds for classic rock and blues.

So far I use profiles of ReampZone, mainly DIs with Rewirez IRs and a DXR10 speaker. I used a graphic eq to reduce harshness and also definition and clarity, but still I am nötig really convinced that the sound will be as warm and pleasing as with the Marshall. I am a little afraid that the harshness of the KPA gain sounds will hurt the audience's ears.

That is why I am interested in your procedures to make it sound great at the gig. My bandmates might tolerate a bad guitar sound at one or two rehearsals, but not at a gig, that is for sure.

Thx in advance
    Bbb

I like the dxr 10. For my purpose they are more than loud enough. I even have not cranked them, but I can tell they can be really loud.

I mean we play loud, but not as loud as OhG seems to play. For a small club up to 200-300 people they should be loud enough. I will have a chance to check that soon.

But I can not see why you would have a stage sound loud as hell. That must be crazy levels. At bigger festivals everything is miked and send to FOH. The amps etc do not need to be cranked to max. At the last festival every band played through the same backline Marshall DSL 100 and Marshall JVM 410 and Ampeg SVT, everything was miked and we did not crank the amps to max nor did the other bands not even the punk band, who sounded like Green Day.

Bbb