Posts by Da Vinci

Little (or should I say pretty) late to the party here... I use the ZLX-12P with my Pod. As told a few times I find the high's very harsh on high volume, even when dailed back a bit which made me think of buying a DXR 10. But... reading this thread there ís a diffrence, but it's little...
    So... maybe the hashness is from the Pod? Or should I EQ some more?

Thought Ingolf used to have a Pod? Can jou enlighten me about what to expect with a Kemper? Did anybody change EQ settings on the EV in combination with Kemper?
    Will it make any diffrence when playing with the volume from the Pod/Kemper vs volume of the EV? There are quite some options to influence the volume (master volume on the Pod (I run it with XLR and a DI on -20DB), input level on the EV en master on de EV.

The problem with FRFR is that it seemed a high entry cost - Atomic CLR's for example are £800+...so I was reluctant. I also had a bad experience going direct because my profiles I was using sounded poor through a PA...

[...]

In summary, the Kemper works really well with guitar cabs but you will not know if the profiles will sound any good direct to FOH. Suggest you get a relatively cheap but reasonable quality monitor for that purpose and that way you have ultimate flexibility guitar cab when you need or want it but a FOH sound as you would expect.

Well.... a lot of people here love the Yamaha DXR 10 which is about 500 euro's. The powered Kemper adds 400 dollar to a non-powerd and you need to buy a decent cab (if you, like me comming from a combo, don't have one). So if FOH is the way to go and the DXR is powerfull enough to handle the complete frontline in small venue's it also is the cheapest solution...

BTW, making my choose to go FRFR with a DXR 10 in small venues vs. a guitarcab is hard enough haha. No way I 'm taking providing a backline for other bands in consideration. :/

We had a support act twice recently. I told 'm we only have one guitaramp as backline (the other guitarplayer) since I play digital with my POD HD500x. A monitor is put away really quickly, so his amp was set up and removed right afther their set and I put my monitor back in like 2 minutes.

When I was testing the Kemper (powered) in the shop we had the main out hooked to an active FRFR wegde (my electro voice) and the monitor out to a Victory 1x12" V30 cab. The wedge was used as reference and we tweaked the master EQ of the monitor out to match the tone of the wedge. Well, in thoose 15 minutes it seemed to work quitte good with quitte littel tweaking actually.

Didn't try it in a (high volume) band situation though... I'll guess the diffrence between FRFR and a V30 is bigger on higher volumes since it's nog liniair, am I right?

Usefull comment since I 'm doubting right know...

I would expect to use guitarcabs in small venues beceause there is normally no (good) FOH and you'll need decent backline power...

I think the kicker for you is exactly what I'm afraid of...

BTW; what's a camper kit?
    :rolleyes:

Don't know for sure, but you can always make a Y split. Just be sure to keep things balanced, ans that your IEM input can handle phantom at its input. Or always use a DI going to FOH. Why bother with Phantom power: a simple mistake of the FOH engineer can put 48V on your kempers output. It should be able to handle it, but nog when you compromised the balancing in your cabling....

Thx for mentioning. Never would have thought of it when splitting the signal!

You can use the XLR and Jack outputs at the same time. I always find the in ear sound is too bright on my guitar though and prefer to eq. That is party my SE215 headphones that seem to have a top end lift and should find something better.

I get a mix of the band and feed that to a small mixer that blends with the guitar sound. This way you have control over you own playing volume.

That's the way I do things right know. Works fine but wouldn't miss bothering with the mixer when not neccesery ;)

Interessting thread. I don't have a Kemper yet but considering quite the same setup.I use IEM and play a lot of small bars so backline will provide all the sound and because of that I'm doubting between a DXR 10 FRFR or Power amp (powered Kemper) and guitarcab.

My current experience with a Pod HD 500 is that my in ear sound needs quite a lot EQ'ing. Because the Pod doesn't have master eq's per output I use a mixer. It would by great to put the monitor mix from the mixing desk into a kemper and ajust de volume and eq of my guitar separetly.
    Can the EQ of the Kemper be ajusted on the headphone out?

BTW; is it possible to use the XLR and jack outputs on the master output section at the same time? For example to go stereo to FOH with XLR and go sterio to my own mixer for IEM?

Thx guy's!

Especially Monkey_Man for the explenation. I indeed saw the DXR 10 is used by lots of Kemper users. Only I can't always find out this is just for on stage monitoring or as compleet setup for small venue's...

Hello guy's!

Just signed on so first let me introduce myself!

I'm Da Vinci from The Netherlands! I'm 32 years old and a guitarplayer since I was 16. Always been interested in moddeling (my first amp was a first gen Spider 212, after that a Pod XT live, then used a few tube amps and in between switched to a HD500 and back a few times) because I like small, low weight all in one solutions :)
    Never been really 100% satisfied though... :(
    Due to hearing problems (started to late with hearing protection) I switched to IEM and switch back to digital with my HD500. I again love the benefits of this divice in terms of programmable, lightweight all in one etc. and again I'm not really satisfied with the overall sounds.
    I heared some pretty good stuff about the Kemper and have checked I't out, having some serious GAS ever since 8)
    I've been reading a lot an more then once I landed on this forum which had been very helpfull so far!

We (the band) play mostly in small venue's with no FOH, only vocals true small PA. At the moment my biggist choose te make is to go completely FRFR or go powerd true a guitarcab. I now use a Electro Voice monitor which is pretty harsh on band volume so I have some hesitations to FRFR in terms of volume, overall sound quallity, cutting trough the mix and having enough punch...

So, there's already lots and lots of content to find. If someone could help my with some direct links about this matter it will be appreciated!

Best regards,

Da Vinci