Posts by SQUAREHEAD

I haven't had that much trouble getting a live cab to sound good. Well done profiles seem to do it on their own. Just downloaded the TJ '74 pack and even though it's not merged, cab driver is doing a great job of making them fantastic through my 1x12 oversize V30 cab. I have only bought 3 packs so far and I can tell this one is likely the most versatile and close to what I want. Funny. somehow I must have turned the output

browse knob accidentally to a different preset (After this I deleted them all so that doesn't happen again) and it switched the cab sim on, on the monitor/poweramp. At first I was like, Hmmm..... not so great after sampling about 20 or so & being suspicious I checked, yep the monitor cab was on. I switched it off and there it was! Double cabinet not so good. I turned the cab back on and it seemed like it made the profiles more like the Mbritt ones were. Darker,muted.

I have read where some people like having the cab on THROUGH a cab. Maybe this is why. It kind of makes the top end a bit "softer". Hey if it's what you are going for , there are no "rules". EVH didn't know what he was doing with the Obreheim and other keyboardists would say he was doing it wrong but sometimes just using your ear gets you to your goal and surpasses conventionality. I am going back to cranking my Kemper with '74 profiles. Heck yea.

Wow, I have the same pack ...

and you are pleased with that sound through a 4X12 cabinet? It sounds and feels like a real guitar amplifier to you?

Good for you bro!

So good to hear this Dyno, I am enjoying the Powered Kemper for live performances, it is irreplaceable!

The only part of the equation that I can’t get quite right is the sound directly from a 4X12 cabinet…

Maybe you could suggest some direct / merged profiles That you think sound and feel / breath as good as a real amp?

people seem to love treble, presence…

When I hear people complain about Michael Britt profiles, immediately I suspect that they don’t play live through a nice loud PA because if they did they would find Michaels profiles to be very fitting with the volume up.;)

When you hear a tone like Jake E lee "rock and roll rebel" or VH "Beautiful girls" they have a lot of crispy top to them. Eric Johnson or Bonamossa tones not so much. I think the Mbritt ones sound great but a bit muffled compared to some TJ ones I have. I'll bet they do sound great through a live P.A with big horns. IMO the biggest difference comes from the cabs. If I play the TJ ones into a regular guitar cab, they are not strident at all and to me sound like a "regular amp" would that I would mic at a show. I can get both in the ballpark of each other with the treble presence knobs although it's easier to "cut" the TJ ones than it is to get some of the Mbritt ones snappy but I am pretty new and haven't tried any of his paid stuff. As I had mentioned before I wish I could just get a few amps rather than a whole pack of things that I won't use.

Do you have a powered Kemper unit?

people seem to love treble & presence…

When I hear people complain about Michael Britt profiles, immediately I suspect that they don’t play live through a nice loud PA because if they did they would find Michaels profiles to be very fitting with the volume up.;) - in my opinion.

But I guess, it’s all subjective to the way we want to hear things in our ears.

Hi Troy, if I recall correctly, when reading the owners manual, using a noise gate when profiling will not work properly…

I profile lots of high gain amplifiers and yes, the hiss is just part of the reality of an accurate profile of any given amplifier.

You can add a touch of noise gate to the profile after it is finished…

Yes, I was running rig manager with the USB plugged in… I will try tonight without. You know, I did wonder for a second, because even changing from different slots in the performance it was a delayed reaction…

Do you think that’s because rig manager was running, I’ve never done that before, it’s the first time I’ve had rig manager running while playing.

:/I guess you’re never too old to learn something new. Hopefully this is the issue…

Hey guys, something weird is happening, when I am switching from rig - rig in any given performance, the unit is recalling the effects used the last time I was in any given rig and calling them up when I revisit the rig…

Never had this happen before…

My unit just did number of updates and I’m wondering if there is something I am missing?

Thanks for any advice!;)

When doing the DI part of the profile, I just use the same IR in Logic space designer that is selected in my Suhr Reactive Load IR. So much easier to refine when you have a normal speaker sound.
    I also check the DI amp settings match the studio profile amp settings before merging. On most of my profiles I have been doing recently, the studio and merged are identical.

Which amps do you profile most, Vinny?

My personal experience with DI profiling is to definitely NOT refine…

Refineing gives

1) way too much high frequency sizzle,

2) more gain then the reference amplifier,

3) Boomy, loose extreme low bass frequencies...

I choose not to refine, but in doing so, I usually end up with the reference amplifier bass control near full, treble and presence quite high…

But still, I’m having no success capturing the definition in the low mids. The girth and feel of the amplifier does not transfer to the profile…

if I bypass the power section in my Kemper powerhead and go straight into the Fryette power station to 4x12 cab, The difference is like comparing a solid-state amplifier versus a real tube amplifier. Like comparing an a.m. radio versus an FM stereo.

In fact, you can’t really compare the two because in my opinion, there’s no comparison…

It’s ‘night and day’.