Posts by future2future

Wow....Haven't logged in for a couple of weeks and this happened.

Sorry for my belated reply: I've been busy and on holiday!

First of all thank you for all nice tips and tricks. After spending a couple of weeks with the Kemper i kept the same feeling: Hearing the same things, not being inspired by it so i decided to return it: For me it isn't worth the price/quality ratio atm. Maybe i'll get one later on if i get into a situation where it's the most convenient solution but now is not the time. I've decided to spend some of the money on a Two Notes Torpedo, waiting on that one.

Guys, thanks for all your replies- some valid points from either side. Ultimately, for me the most important thing is how it sounds. And that pat hasn't convinced me. I'm going to profile my own amp to really be able to A/B between them. But i'm afraid i'm gonna hear the same thing that bugging me on all the other profiles, but who knows it could be an a ha moment

Ok, well, many profiles go after these tones. The point is whether they achieve the tones when it comes to nuances (that many think don't matter anyway).

I can only say that you should profile your amps. This is always the real test with kemper. Otherwise you may actually go through buying a million profiles and always be unhappy. It's also worth trying what others can come up with, but yea.

Profile your amps is my advice ;) Then report back if you can/want to :) Because it takes some time and experience to get profiles as accurate as they can be anyway imho.

Yeah, i'm gonna do that, the profiling that is. Probably will be a couple of weeks before i get to that though

All that said I think the ultimate test is profiling your own amps. Only then you know what's up and if kemper is close enough. People expect different things from their tone; only you know what you want, and profiling is the sure way to see if this device can work for you or not.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    (just wait for the solo :)

These are just some of the things i like, but a reference for what i look for generally

If you were paying for studio time and had to choose a session player, would you pick the one that comes in and spends hours setting up cabs and mics. Or, would you pick the player that comes in, flips the power button and just plays?

Well, i doesn't take hours because you know the drill so to speak. You know what mics and cabs work and where to place them. In my experience it isn't too much of a hassle and also: If they can take a hour or two to make a drums sound they can spend 15-30 min on guitar right?

EXACTLY what i'm hearing and trying to describe, thank you for finding the right words :) The thin and phases sound is spot on. Funny thing: My wife heard it too, she's not a musician, but even she heard there is something odd sounding.

@Freisegler I haven't gone the FRFR route yet, will do this week, thanks.

Well favourite tones vary, but i love Mike Landau's tones for example

It's hard to describe because i can't really put my finger on it, i feel like it's less organic, rich, complex, more raw conventionally as opposed to the Kemper (but i do understand these are vague terms)

and thanks :thumbup:

Hi Guys,

first off i want to complement you all on the fantastic community you guys have here, and the willingness to help each other. The Thread title isn't meant as dismissive or anything, but i have some thoughts and concerns and wanted to pick your brains about it.

I'm a professional musician who's been playing all kind of different amps for 15+ years now. I also play sessions so i'm used to hearing my amp back through mics, preamps and monitors or headphones. I have experience with programming digital devices and understand routing etc. My tonal references (either live or recorded) Mike Landau, Tom Bukovac, Robben Ford, and a lot of session tones

So, i've had a lunchbox + remote for a couple of days now, i was really looking forward to playing it and too start making sounds.(bought it brand new) First night i downloaded the rig manager, the free MBritt profiles and some BM profiles (along with what's already in the Kemper and rig manager) plugged in and put in my Shure se425 into the headphone input and was....underwhelmed. Everything sounded thin with a lot (and i mean a lot) of high end frequencies, didn't like it at all. (played my strat and tele) Read all the tips on the forum about space, cab, definition, pick etc. Didn't help much. This especially concerns rainy, and higher gain sounds. Clean sounds are ok, as soon as gainer profiles are introduced i'm not happy.

Next day i plugged it into my apogee, listened back over my studio monitors: Better results: More bass, less high end. But still some frequencies i can't get rid off. Another headphone also was better than the Shure but still.

There are a couple of things going on in my mind and i'm going to try to explain them.

First off: I'm missing something. Call me crazy (and a lot of you probably will :D lol) but i feel there's "harmonic content" missing. I just received a cd which i've played on about two months ago: My 6l6 amp with a pedalboard, SM57 and a Ribbon. And i'm feeling it's a richer sound, more complex, more alive than the Kemper profiles.

Identity/homogeneity: So, every studio you play, every record you play you will sound a little different. Even with the same gear (amps, guitars, mics, room) it will sound a little different, that's how things work with tubes, room, movement, cabs etc. in other words with "organic" materials. Isn't that what we want? I'f i'm playing on 10 records this year do i want them to sound EXACTLY the same? 'Cause that's what happens with the Kemper (if you use the same kinda sounds, but be honest: who goes from one end of the spectrum to the other regularly? you get hired because of the way you play and sound)

Also: if i use a MBritt profile of a Marshall and you use the same profile we have the same tone. We sound different because the player is different but the basic fundamentals of the tone are there. If i use a Marshall OF THE SAME KIND as somebody else we will sound different: Because no two amps are alike because there are a lot of factors that come into play: Tube age, component values etc etc

Another: With the Kemper it's easy to get a decent sound, but it totally removes (as i feel about it at least) the craftsmanship of getting tones and sounds true to YOUR identity. So the amps you choose with the mics you choose and the cabs etc etc and then GETTING a good sound which is a craft!

How i see it right now: Usefull, sure, ok sounding, but that's what it is. Usefull for getting sounds on demo's quickly and a easy solution for gigs that are fully in ear. But is this worth almost 2200 Euros? To me, right now, it isn't, i think. I can buy a Royer r121 and a 57 and still keep almost 600 euros in my pocket. (of course where not talking about preamps here but you get the picture)

This isn't about not willing to accept digital or something because i already bought the thing.

Please tell me your thoughts on this and any tips or ideas, thanks guys!