Posts by secretsongs

Do you have a local friend with a Kemper? Maybe you could compare by exporting a rig to USB stick from yours and he/she could import it.

Hi, No I don't know anyone who has one. I'm sending a recording of Kemper DI guitar output and Master L/R output using factory presets to Kemper support so hopefully they'll be able to diagnose what's going on. Thanks for your help.

A couple of other things to check:

Cabinet on?

Something locked? (hold down the LOCK button, and anything locked will be lit)

Hi Zappledan, Yes cabinet is on. Didn't know I could hold down lock button like that, saves checking each one individually:) It just showed that my input button was locked. The settings were pretty normal though, clean/distortion sense at 0. noise gate was off. Doesn't look like anything in there was contributing to the change in audio quality.

ok this is right

are your trs cables self-made ?

maybe you have a phase issue on these cables ?

Hi, no the trs cables are store bought ones. Yeah good idea with the phase cancellation but I've just unplugged them and run one xlr from Kemper output to one of the speakers and it still sounds metallic sounding in mono.

Hi All,

I'm having a problem with how my Kemper is sounding.

Here is a link to a video of the Kemper playing through the first several profiles on the unit.

https://youtu.be/tUfT_sJfMAM

Before doing this video I did a flash reset and also the one were you hold down the system key while booting it up so I'm thinking the profiles should be the same as on another unit. Have also updated to the latest Kemper version.

The sound was great for a couple of weeks earlier this month. I was loving the sound and it definitely sounded like what I have heard from youtube videos. Each profile had its own unique character. Then I started using the navigation buttons to cycle through profiles and then the sound turned back to what I'm hearing in the video, really thin and harsh on the clean and then metallic/fizzy and very similar sound on all profiles. Some other things that I think aren't normal are:

There seems to be a reverb (legacy reverb) on the majority of profiles.
    There are drastic volume differences between profiles. (I had to turn down the second profile in the videos volume by about 10db as it was twice as loud)
    There is way more noise evident on gain profiles. (I am running an American strat, noise gate was off for video but it kills the hum at 6 or 7 on the noise gate. This noise was not as apparent last week when it was sounding good and I was using same position on 5 way strat switch.)

Things I have tried to figure out whats going on:

Tried all resets and have updated to latest version.
    Tried different guitar leads.
    Different guitars (PRS custom 24, US Strat, Samick Artist)
    Different monitors (Adam A7x, Fostex, and 2 x headphones.)
    Bypassing interface/DAW and going straight to monitors.
    Trying different locations/houses/powerpoints as I was wondering if it was related to a power issue or pickup interference, this didn't help.

Turning off lights/monitors, changing guitars angle to screen etc.
    Checking 60hz/50hz setting on kemper.
    Checking that CAB and AMP settings are on.
    Checking clean sens etc. (both are set to 0.)
    Checking gain staging on profiles in case it was clipping somewhere.
    Bought some spdif cables and went into the UFX interface that way (set both to 88.2khz.)

None of this has helped. Could anyone please give me some guidance here on what to do next?

Mine did that too. When a profile sounds that way (most but not all did) if you hold down the reverb button and the screen will show the slot being reverb - legacy reverb - Overdrive. When it shows an overdrive in the 3rd position rather than the reverb selection just turn the knob to get it off reverb the put it back and they will all show as they should and that rig will sound good.

But you have to do it for every rig individually.

Thanks, Yeah I held down the reverb button in the effects section and pretty much all profiles have legacy reverb selected. It doesnt say anything about overdrive though. From there I can turn the reverb mix to zero which fixes the reverb problem but all profiles still have the sound issue of all sounding thin and not each with their own character like they used to.

Hi,

I've had a Kemper unpowered rack for a couple of years now and I'm having issues with drops in sound quality. What happens is that all of a sudden all of my profiles that are usually dry suddenly have the same reverb (legacy reverb), The profiles also become very noisy, the output becomes lowered, and the distorted profiles become very similar and the cleaner profiles become very weak and sterile sounding.

I recently had the unit send back to the distributer who replaced the analogue section of the unit. Since I've had it back I've been playing it thinking that it sounds great and the problem must have been sorted. I then started shifting through the profiles and it's gone straight back to having the sound issues. I know what this things capable of but I feel that it only ever sounds close to what I've heard in youtube videos directly after doing an update. Then as soon as I start moving through the profiles the sound drops again.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be going on with this unit? Has anyone had similar problems?

Thanks,

Nick

Hi,

I've updated my Kemper unpowered rack to 7.1.2 and now I can only find a profile called "crunch". I didn't do a backup prior to the update as the kemper just had unedited factory content on it anyway. I have done factory resets in the past but this time it does not show an option to restore factory content. Is there a way to return Kemper to how it ships from factory? I've updated rigmanager and have tried to drag and drop Factory content over and it seems to copy but I cant select them on Kemper once installed.

Thanks

Hi,

I just have a quick question and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have two 75ohm spdif cables to connect to the kemper to a rme ufx.

Can I use some sort of adapter on the end of these so that these cables can connect to the aes/ebu digital in out on the UFX? The ufx can be set up to send spdif out of aes/ebu.

Can I use two adapters being: xlr(m) and xlr(f) to rca(f) adapters?' Or do they need to be aes/ebu to spdif adapters of same?

Thanks,

Nick

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm definitely going to take at least a mono kemper amp signal out of the kemper xlr and into a neve pre to see how much it adds to the signal.
    I was just wondering, If I use the other neve as a DI for the guitar and then go from there into the kemper, What would be the best input on the kemper to use to accommodate the line level out of the back of the neve? I've only had the kemper for under a week but am loving it. Had been using scuffham s-gear up until now but this is definitely a step up!

Also, since all of these profiles have been made using the guitar input on the front of the kemper (presumably), Could using a different DI into the kemper cause problems? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks,

Nick

Hi,
    I have a kemper (unpowered) and will have access to a couple of neve 1073 clone preamps for one day only. I was thinking of utilising them in one of the three following scenarios but first thought I'd see if anyone can give me a quick pointer in the right direction (I'll have 20 songs to track!). My interface is an RME UFX.

1. Run the xlr left/right out of the kemper and straight into the mic pre's on both neve preamps. Then run the neves through the line inputs on the back of ufx and into the DAW
    Would this be doubling up on using a mic pre as they would have used one originally when micing the amp to make the profile?

2. Run the Kemper TS left/right outputs into the DI inputs on the neve preamps. Then run the neve's through the line inputs on the back of ufx and into the DAW

3. plug guitar straight into Neve DI input and then out through the ufx line inputs and into the DAW. Then later 'reamp' the recorded neve DI guitar back through the kemper digitally.
    I have already started the sessions in 96khz sample rate but will convert already recorded tracks into a 44.1khz session if this scenario will give me the best results.

I know the correct answer is to try all and A/B them which I will, but due to the time restraints any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Nick