Posts by kevinduren

I have been reading in the manual about this but I cannot seem to figure it out. What is the difference between locked on the Profiler and locked on the Remote? Can you lock/unlock from the remote? I have been trying to understand, but would appreciate some clarification.

Thanks

I can't address the studio use questions but here is my 2 cents on the others:

The Kemper is a bargain as far as I can tell. I have less invested in the profiler, remote, two mission expression pedals, an FRFR cab, extra cables, profiles, and a Pelican case that holds all of it, than the cost of one of my pedalboards.

In addition to my use of my Kemper rig, I rented the whole thing out to a backline company for several month. It was used by God knows how many bands, road crews, etc. It came back with one of the TRS cables for the expression pedals bent (the metal part of the plug was actually bent!) and a slight yellowing of the store knob, which likely means folks with dirty fingers had used it. Other wise, no damage, and no failures of any kind. Oh, yeah, the case came back with a ridiculous amount of stickers on it (musicians, sheesh!) This seems to indicate that these things are quite roadworthy.

As far as holding value, a quick check on Reverb.com will answer that.

Similar. An expression pedal is a rocker pedal, like a wah wah or volume pedal, but is different. (Although, there are some units that can perform as a volume and/or expression pedal.) Check the manual and these forums for specifics and recommendations. I would recommend shopping around for the cheapest one you can find, unless you are really hard on your gear; then you might need a more substantial pedal. I've seen some in the $20-$30 range. I bought the Mission expression pedals made for the Kemper. I have also used the Roland EV 5 for years. I prefer the cheaper Roland EV 5s and they are still with me after thousands of gigs. New they are ~ $60, but you can find them used. Also, Beringer, and others, make inexpensive expression pedals.

Please double check in the manual, but I think you can do morphing with a momentary footswitch by plugging it directly into the Profiler. That will be cheaper than a Boss EQ (although Boss/Roland make good momentary switches) and the switch will not require power like the Boss EQ. Depending on price (if that is even a factor), you may find an expression pedal that is of comparable price to a footswitch and an expression pedal would allow you to have more control over the volume change as opposed to just a binary off/on.

If you simply want an increase in volume, you will want the increase to occur post-stack / after the amp. You could morph the amp volume or use the volume pedal settings in the Rig section; set the location to Post Stack. You could put a clean boost(Pure Boost) after the stack and either switch if on/off, or morph it between two values you set up.

Once you start doing this, even with one switch or expression pedal, you may find that there are many other parameters you want to morph.

Several of you beat me to it, but the first thing I heard was that it was played on a single coil neck pickup. Fantastic playing and tones. And the best looking non-Fender tele headstock I've seen, IMHO.

Bilinguitar, experiment with the compressor in the Amp section. That is probably your best way to get the sustain/feel that you are looking for.

I get a lot of mileage out of taking profiles that have more gain/are more distorted than I want, and turning the gain down. There is something that I really like about both the sound and the feel of those profiles with the gain reduced. Even with the gain all the way down, they are still fat. I've always guessed that this was a byproduct of how the profiling process works.

If you need to resort to driving the front end, try the pure boost.

Now, I'm going to go try Mats' HPD profiles and Tone Junkie's T Wreck Liverbird per digbob. :)

That's my point. Some of the rigs (those indicated with "Guitar") will NOT show up when you select "Just Bass" in the browser options...

Ah, I see. Well, like paults mentioned, you can change the instrument tag in RM, it's a drop down menu. I just tried it and the rigs that I changed to Bass, show up in the Profiler under Just Bass. You need a way to batch change that rig tag.

Edit: So I just tried this: in RM select all of the Bass profiles and change the instrument to Bass. That will change all of them at once.

Edit 2: I am fooling around with this. This is pretty powerful stuff. If you have a set of profiles that you want to keep in a category of their own, you can change their instrument to Bass and then they will show up in the Just Bass view. (that is assuming you are not using that specifically for Bass profiles) This really makes me want to ask the folks at Kemper to set up some Custom views where certain rigs could be tagged to show up in their own view. Then we could group profiles, in the Profiler, in other ways than just Favorites and Non-Favorites (and now Bass !).

This is very cool. Thank you FlyingSnowman & paults !!

Chris, good to see you on here. All great points.

Just for interest, according to the MBritt website, Michael made some profiles of an EVH 5150 III 100w for Sevendust. They are in the Crank n Go pack. I have no idea if Sevendust is considered modern metal.

If you haven't already looked, try Sirius Sounds Modern Metal free pack (not sure where I got this, you may have to search), search r.u. sirius on RE, I have a free pack from Thumas (again can't remember where I got this) and there are more by Thumas on RE, try ViViX in the Kemper free rigs.

And I'll emphasize: When you decide on the setting you like, lock it. You may add new profiles that are not set your preferred way and they will be louder, or softer, based on this setting. Once upon a time, I noticed that my Rig button was locked and I unlocked it. Later I noted that many of my rigs and performances were louder or softer than they had been. Not realizing this was related to the volume pedal range setting, I re-leveled everything. Then I noticed my volume pedal was wacky: some rigs were off at the heel setting and would only go to half volume at the toe, and others were at half-volume at the heel and would go to full volume at the toe. Once I discovered that this was all related to this volume pedal range setting, I set it, and locked it, and it has worked perfectly ever since. But I did have to go back and re-level the rigs I had re-leveled when I unlocked.

Hence the PSA above.

Regarding the delays, remember that not only can you tap the tempo, but you can hold down the Tap button and it will determine the tempo based on your playing (called beat scanner). Caveat being that you have to be playing a busy-enough part for it to determine the tempo. If you are playing diamonds, you will have to tap the button. By using the tap tempo, I get away with using one delay setting for most of my rigs and performances. I set the delay to dotted eighths, and, like wheresthedug mentions above, I use the morph function for delay volume. Tap quarter notes and you get dotted eighth delays. Tap half notes and you get long delays. Tap as fast as you can and you get slapback. Tap quarter note triplets and you get another variation on a longer delay. Tap randomly, etc. etc. Obviously, this would work with other delay values.

If I need something other than the above, such as quarter note delay or a darker or brighter delay, I set up a second delay and assign it to the same button on the remote so that I can toggle between the two.

You can set a tempo (per rig or per performance, I forget) and that can be you starting tempo. If the tempo varies, tapping on the tap button will override the initial setting, but you need to have already saved an note-value for the tap in the delay. Can explain that more if anybody needs it.

It is unfortunate that I use up all of the morphing capability simply for delay volume, but it is important enough to me to do so. I wish there was, and have requested, another way. Without resorting to MIDI.

Kevin

You can copy and paste performance slots in rig manager. You can do this from another performance or from rigs. Pasting will overwrite the rig in the slot. You can rearrange slot in a performance right on the profiler without overwriting any of them. Maybe a dummy rig, with everything turn down or off, could be pasted in any slots you do not want to use? I am going to give that a try.