Posts by kevinduren

With the advent of the new beta overdrives, this is probably obviated, but I spent some time tweaking on the existing ODs to see if I could get something useable out of them. I have only used the Pure Booster because the other distortions/overdrives just sounded bad to me. I often need to add just a tiny bit more breakup or push and don’t want to switch profiles to do so. But I also don’t like that the rig has to get louder to get dirtier using the Pure Booster.

So, I used a clean profile (a bassman), with a compressor in front, set to:

5.5 intensity, 6.4 attack, +1.3 squash, 45% mix, +.05 volume (those were just the settings that came with the profile)

This profile would just break up if I hit the strings as hard as I could, harder than I ever would when actually playing music.

I put the OD after the compressor and before the stack. I set the drive to its max setting and adjusted the mix to where I could just hear it break up the amount that I wanted. One percentage up or down made a difference. The idea was to have the same/similar tone, but overdriven. I adjusted the tone so that it was as close as possible to the profile without the OD engaged, and set the volume to unity.

I was surprised and happy with the results and I think there is a whole world in there to explore.

And to backtrack a little, I got this idea from all the posts about a “Klon” sound. I thought “maybe the the Metal DS, with its eq, could give me a similar mid-hump”. I am not really interested in trying to get an exact copy of a Klon, but I do want an overdrive sound that has a similar “cut” to it. I found that the Metal DS eq was a boon. I like the sound with the mid eq set between the mid peaks of a Klon and a Tube Screamer (in the 500 – 600 range). But, of all the od’s I experimented with, the Metal DS was kind of spitty or not smooth. On this one, I tried backing the drive down, but it still had that spitty character. But the Metal DS allows for the most eq adjustment.

Below are the settings I came up with. I am sure you will have to tweak them for your profile, your guitar, your use-case, and your ears.

Green Scream:

Drive 10

Tone 8.2

Mix 42%

Volume +1.4

Plus DS:

Drive 10

Mix 49%

Volume +4.1

One DS:

Drive 10

Tone 3.0

Mix 48%

Volume +0.7

Mouse:

Drive 10

Tone 9.5

Mix 40%

Volume +2.0

Metal DS:

Drive 10

Mix 33%

Volume +2.0

Low 4.0

Middle 2.5

Mid Freq 552.2

High 10.0

Kevin

certified beta chicken =O

I am curious about the Brown Bag experiment. Michael do you have any feedback?

Has anyone adopted the "Brown Bag" as their main profile(s)? If you are using it, how are you using it?

Thanks.

The MBritt 72 Marshall profiles are great for AC/DC, particularly the cleaner tones like TNT. There are 72 Marshall profiles in the 2020 pack, Pack 1, Sweet 16, and Vintage packs. I particularly like the 72 Mars 50 1 from the vintage pack for TNT.

Yep, search for every possible key word, acronym, abbreviation you can thank of. Search guitar player's name, band name, song names, etc. I'm not being snide. There is just no other way I know of. Might help to narrow the searches to the name field.

Also try to locate the free pack from maurizio (hope I spelled that correctly).

A workaround could be to change the author name to an amp name, or what ever criteria you want to sort by. Then when you when you sort by author, it will sort by your criteria. Likewise, you can change the instrument to bass and then those profiles show up when you sort by bass. That could be a separate set of "favorites".

You can make those changes to several rigs at once in Rig Manager by selecting all the rigs you want to change.

"Well, time to work on Foreplay/Longtime.... !"

Man, where that snare drum comes in is one of my favorite moments in music.

You are correct: there is only one morph function available. You can control several parameters at once with morph but what you are needing to do is not possible, AFAIK. We have been asking for some additional functionality in this area, so the Kemper folks are aware.