Posts by caldo777

So I recently made the jump from Pre editor equipped rig manager to the current version. Before i did I used the backup feature to backup my Rig Manager content as I needed to also upgrade operating system and in doing so would loose all my files. I'm trying to restore from the backup but It doesn't seem to have the relevant file to initiate the restoration anywhere in the backup folder. Could anybody help me see where I'm going wrong with this?

I have a suspician that the new RM is expecting the backup to be in a different format than the one provided by the older versions and I'm screwed. :rolleyes:

Thanks atalwar I will certainly give this a go. Seems like it could do the trick :)

I don't understand what you are exactly trying to achieve. No volume decrease, but no infinite repeats, … how many repeats then? And how are you setting Delay Mix and Feedback? If your delay sounds "too dark", why don't you adjust Hi Cut?

Please check out all the delay types available and what their parameters can do? You find details in the Main Manual.

I was simply wondering if you could turn off the fade out on the delay repeats which it seems you cant so I have my answer. Thanks.

What are your delay settings at?

I tried lots of different settings from working post amp and dialling in the required parameters to achive what I was going for rhythmically. But then it sounded too controlled and a bit dark in comparison to the tone I was trying to replicate. Moving it before the amp gets me much closer to the sound I want but the diminishing repeat volumes scupper the whole thing. It doesn't just get quieter they go from full on saturated to no gain at all. For example out of 4 repeats; 2 of them are distorted and 2 are completely clean. If this is a design feature and it's done to replicate an analogue signal path I feel like the envelope is too steep and it happens way too fast leading to unnatural sounding results. If anybody has a boss digital delay handy try placing it before a distorted amp and it will repeat without the big difference in saturation levels.

and don’t forget about the Grit parameter. It’s great for saturated repeats.

dickjonesify Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately the grit parameter doesn't do the kind of saturated amp distortion I'm looking to achieve. Sounds kind of digital and to me, very much seperate from the more organic sound of the amp overdrive. What I want is for it to all meld into one.

The volume reduction can be configured. If you prefer, you can even have an infinite delay.

If you configure the delay with a volume reduction and place it pre amp, the saturation gets reduced accordingly. That is part of an authentic reproduction of an analog signal chain. If you prefer a constant saturation regardless of the volume of the delay, place the delay post the stack. That is basically the meaning of pre and post effects.

Thanks for the reply Burkhard. So you're saying I can have a delay without the volume reduction on repeats? Is that what you mean by it can be configured?

If so would you mind giving me a few pointers on how I might go about that? The only thing that seems to affect it is the feedback but then I end up with too many repeats. I don't want infinite repeats. The effect I'm looking for relies on the delay being pre amp as it imparts a different character that way.

Am I missing something here or is there an enforced volume reduction on every delay in the kemper?

If you place a delay before a distorted amp section it sounds really weird as the repeats go from saturated to clean and the whole magic of that delay into drive thing just falls apart. It would be great if there was an option to disengage that.

I remember posting here before about a certain delay sound I was trying to re-create to no avail due to the same thing, albeit after the amp stack. It's such a limiting decision to have it like that with no option to stop it happening :(

I'm really surprised it doesn't seem to bother more people as it makes delay before the amp almost unusable.

Yes. Everything you can do with the non-powered, you can also do with the powered. (Don't even have to turn off the power amp.)

Also, there are both XLR and 1/4 main stereo outputs so you could send the XLR to the mixer and use the 1/4 for a pair of powered monitors to hear yourself stereo. You would need to adjust volume of the monitors on the speakers naturally.

Check the manual for output configuration, you may be able to use the Monitor and DI out as well - not sure about the stereo though.

Thanks.

Looks like "Monitor out" and "Direct out" can be set up as a stereo pair so that would probably be the most logical solution to run a pair of powered speakers.

From the manual:

"If you select the option “Monitor Stereo”, MONITOR OUTPUT and DIRECT OUTPUT become one logical pair of stereo outputs. Functions like Monitor Output Source, Monitor Output Volume, Monitor Volume Pedal, Monitor Output Link, Monitor Cab. Off, Monitor Output EQ, and Aux In > Monitor are applied to both outputs automatically."

With the powered Kemper are you able to run two active speakers if you turn off the power amp? I like the idea of running two DXR10's in stereo for monitoring but I have the powered version. Probably a pretty risky thing to do even if it were to work I'd guess. I know you could do it using the XLR outs but say they were going direct to the desk.

Excellent work man.

You really do relish a challenge don't you? I think you can safely check this one off as accomplished :)

I had another try at recreating something simliar to your example but this time using a lower gain profile as Sam suggested.

Again it isn't exactly he same but it definitely in the right ball park to my ears.

https://soundcloud.com/alan-dick/delay-example/s-4IKbT

Sounds great! Definitely very close in the way the delay translates to the original.

I'm yet to get a chance to mess with it and try out your suggestions from yesterday. Are you using those same settings you posted?

Bummer.

Could a similar thing be achieved using a compressor stomp in a slot post-delay, I wonder.

If you could use the serial/parallel feature that runs into the reverb from the delay to separate the wet tails from the dry signal. As far as I know that slot is exclusive to reverb unfortunately. I think I might have read somewhere that the much anticipated reverb update might add that kind of functionality although I could be mistaken?

I did try a compressor after the delay in serial but it acts on the dry signal mostly until you really push it, bringing up the noise and killing the dynamics in the process.

One way to deal with the fading repeats that I don't think has been mentioned:

Record the delay separately from the amp sound and apply a limiter to bring the faded repeats up to a consistent level.

The sound quality of the repeats will suffer slightly, but this is the closest thing I can think of to achieving what I outlined Here, which is to remove the decay envelope.

Good shout Monkey_Man but this is for live performance and not recording. If it was a recording situation I would have done away with the Kemper delay in favor of something different. I was wanting to keep things as simple as possible and having the KPA take care of the effects affords me that luxury.

There's too much gain on the second example, compressing the signal and adding sustain, and not enough attack on the dry sound, which will mask the delay tails. It's also muddier, which will also not help.

The sound itself is not what I will be using. It was just a quick example as I am using direct profiles through a cab and needed a quick way to record a demonstration as a few people asked for one.

Yeah, less gain will help. But it's the first repeats you hear well enough, when the gain is at it's strongest. I just wanted the repeats to stay at a consistent level and not trail off.

That said, I do think backing off on the gain is gonna be the most effective course of action in achieving more clarity as there is no way around the fading repeats (short of pulling out my trusty Boss dd6 anyway)

The play it is played on the first exemple is different than the second (forget the delay I just talk about the way its played (before the delay) its played differently on the first exemple and THATS WHY the delay reaction is different. I man the number of plucked notes is different... So listen carefully youll get my point Good luck

No it's not. I don't know what you're hearing but it's not. Even if that were the case, it's definitely not the reason the delay tails aren't as prominent through the dry signal as I'd like.

Hi Wheresthedug

First off, thanks for taking the time and effort to give that a go. I appreciate it.

The original clip is a file that was sent to me to learn by someone I'm going to be working with. I know he uses Logic and makes use of the amp sims that come as part of that so I'm assuming the delay is some kind of plugin too although I can't rule out an analogue pedal. I will ask him.

I will give your settings a go tomorrow when I get a chance. One thing I cant really have is stereo set to 100 as I'm going to be going mono to a cab. Saying that I'm not entirely sure how that setting works with the single delay effect or how it would sound going into a single mono cab. The clip I posted however is just the spdif out into my DAW.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I did try increasing the mix even more but it starts to attenuate the dry signal making the unaffected notes weak which affects the phrasing of the part in an undesirable way.

As for the flutter and grit; I don't need them but it makes very little difference if I turn them off all together as far as the clarity is concerned. The grit might actually help a little.

I think the nearest I'm gonna get to the reference is to back off the gain a bit so the distortion isn't washing the repeats out as much.

When I started this thread I was simply wondering if I was missing something. It wasn't to complain or anything like that. I appreciate the suggestions however and I think that what Monkey_Man was saying in an earlier post would bring some handy functionality to the delays that is otherwise difficult to control through the other parameters alone.

Thanks.

I am aware of the common characteristics of delay units.

In my attempt I actually have more repeats it's just that they are being masked by the dry signal ( I have 100 / 94 % wet/dry) any more and the initial dry signal is unbalanced.

The reason there are so many repeats is to try and make the fade out slower so that you can hear them through the dry signal. I can get below 13 repeats but that just makes the fade curve quicker. Now dare I say it you might see where there is a fundamental flaw in the way this is set up. I turn the feedback up to hear more of the repeats before they become too quiet to cut through. This results in many more repeats than I actually want or need but I get to hear more of them, however in passages with different spacing between played notes this is impractical as the notes build up on top of each other when there is clear space to hear it. Not to mention that even at this number of repeats I still cant hear more than the first 4 cut through.

I'm using Dual Delay as I wanted the extra functionality of the "swell" and "smear" parameters although they are both set to 0% as they weren't helping.

So:

Dual delay

Mix: 100/94 %

Note Value 1: 1/4

Note Value 2: 1 Bar (although this is irrelevant as its inaudible)

Delay Balance: -50%

Low Cut: 160hz

High Cut: 33488hz

Reverse Mix: 0%

Stereo: 0%

Chorus: 0%

Cross Feedback: 0%

Modulation: 0.0

Flutter Intensity: 1.7

Flutter Rate: 1.4

Grit: 1.8

Swell: 0%