Posts by TeleMan

As a former Helix user, I can attest to the immense reliance I put on their PC editor. Not only for ease of loading things like IRs and presets, but the simple fact that I didn't have to bend/lean over to tweak the unit (which was very simple to use in itself). However, my one gripe with the Helix, is the depth of tweaking the editor allows (and how easy it is to get carried away with it). I found with the Helix that I spend so much time tweaking the sound, I didn't spend much time actually playing my instrument.

As I am obviously not a "tweaker" by nature (I gravitate towards a set-it-and-forget-it method), not having an editor from Kemper is not a real deal breaker for me. Clearly, one would be able to tweak to the same extent on the actual unit, but the convenience of using a mouse and keyboard is definitely in a league of its own.

This being said, I can empathize with those of you who are frustrated with no editor in 2017. /rant

I'm super happy to hear that so many of you are STILL raving about the kemper after 5 years of use! It definitely increases my excitement even more.
    MuddySludge, I am hoping to get down to Texas in the next little while as I've heard so many great things about the music industry down there versus up here in Canada. Undoubtedly, the Kemper will be my fly rig.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime while I'm waiting for the Kemper to arrive to help me learn more about it (i.e. besides reading the user manuals, which I intend on doing)

Hey All,

New guy here from Alberta, Canada. I recently pulled the trigger and ordered a KPA, remote, and profiler bag. I am a professional musician and have heard so many good things about the Kemper from my peers, so I thought I would try one out for myself.
    I used a Helix for about 6 months, and while it was a neat device, I had a couple of major dislikes about it. Firstly, I had MAJOR footswitch issues, which ultimately led me to returning the unit and getting my money back. I was fortunate in that the place I bought it from had a "lemon law," otherwise I would have been stuck with an unreliable $2,000 Line6 product (people on the local buy-and-sell can't get rid of these things for $1500....yikes). My second gripe was I could never get "convincing" tones out of it. While I realize I am basically hearing a miked-up sound, I still could never get tones I was floored by (something that originally attracted me to the helix in the first place).

Now, the helix did teach me about EQs, IRs, and other cool things like that, but what really has put the Kemper on the radar for me is the realism of the unit. Having played through a Kemper a while ago, I was pretty damn impressed with how "amp-like" it sounds.
    I play mostly contemporary country at shows, but still really require GOOD clean tones as well, so I'm hoping the Kemper is the answer! I am currently messing around with Bias FX for the iPad, having used it for a couple of shows and all my rehearsing. It seems like a good setup (when you use IRs), but is far from a professional unit like the Kemper.

Thanks for having me on the forum. ^^