Posts by e1614e36a3b051571d61cb8fdc50c4becad982a2

Sollazzon

I used the GT-75 with my JVM as I found the V30 didn't really fit. Also I found the JVM from commercial profilers to be too saturated by using pedals which this amp as you know does not need.

One area I really struggled with commercial profiles was they sounded fine in isolation. If you then recorded them and out them against Superior Drummer they sounded terrible, and if you stacked then they lost definition. I found with my profiles I could stack and pan the guitars and the definition wasn't lost.

To profile I only used the Two Note Reload and nothing else.

Evening all

I recently moved away from the Kemper and in the process of testing various amps I testing profiling a few amps. These are DI profiles so will require a cab (I used Wall of Sound)

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xe6…Q6LSV8iRRy5-0l6ZmYoa?dl=0

Marshall JVM410h

There are 108 amp profiles. The amp was profiled from gain setting 2 up to 10 on all channels (12 in total).

Naming convention is straight forward:

Mar JVM CL A 02 = Marshall JVM410h on the clean channel set to Amber with gain set to 2.

I was personally very proud of these profiles and side by side, apart from only a tiny bit of additional gain, sounded better than the amp.

Marshall JCM800

Yesterday, in an attempt to fall back in love with my Kemper, I made a few profiles of my JCM800. I did not take many as the amp to me sounded perfect with the gain at 8 and the master set at various levels.

Naming convention again is straight forward:

Marshall JCM800 M4 P8 = Marshall JCM800 with master at 4 and gain at 8.

There are no pedals in front of the amp so it is pure amp tone.

I would love some feedback. I was actually looking to become a commercial profiler at one point but not sure I have the skills for that.

Anyway download, distribute as you feel free and please provide a little feedback.

Mike

I'm curious about the JCM800 profiles!

Unfortunately I unplugged the Kemper before I removed the profiles. I don't have Rig Manager installed but if I can export them to USB via the Kemper I will upload them. I only made a few with the gain being the same but the master altered.

I find with the 800 if you set the gain to where you want it then use the master to open the amp up at various stages it sounds much better.

If I do upload them take into consideration they are all DI profiles of the entire gain structure with no cab.

Mike

It comes down to compromise in my books. The choice is between an unlimited palette of amp sounds or a smaller palette of better sounds.

For me the former is the better approach based on the wide variety of music I play and the ease of use I'm after. Plus, my music has moved on from the stand and deliver lead stuff to more rhythm. Plus the Kemper sounds amazing to me and everyone that comments on it, so I'm not searching.

I totally get your approach and it must sound incredible.

Finally

I totally agree mate, compromise is key and I am driven by the sound that inspired me to play, with that in mind the Kemper isn't for me. If I had to carry both those amps to gigs along with csbs and effects I may rethink my strategy. One reason I would like to also keep the Kemper and still may (or bank the money and purchase again should that dream become true)

I use the amps extremely similiar to how I used the Kemper too. Two core sounds, don't even both moving the gain or the eq, I just keep the same sound, adjust the guitar volume and record allowing me to focus on how the rhythm and lead fit together from a musical perspective rather than a sound perspective. In that way, identifying the sounds I like, the Kemper has been invaluable.

It is a sweet set up and the sound and response is just phenomenal. I have yet to turn it on and not enjoy playing. I am definitely not knocking the Kemper, I loved it for 5 years and I am sure in 5 years time I won't own a Jcm800 or Silver Jubilee as my requirements/tastes will have changed or I'll just want something new.

I would say one thing, I don't miss the Kemper, I do miss the community though.

Mike

Hiya Audiopilot,

I am also curious on the sounds that fit your needs. I would not need 108 Profiles maybe one or two handful should be enough.
    For me it is always interesting what sounds good to others as I personally did never like any profile of MBritt (too dark, too bright). I am rather into the profiles of Bert Meulendijk. The currently released Clean-/Lead Profiles are very outstanding. Maybe the problem is the Pickup-Amp/Cabinet-Combination that won‘t fit?!

I had to sell all my amps to afford the Kemper so maybe quite a big mistake because I loved the sound (aitr). But the longer I have the Kemper the better sounds do I find/get...

Regards Stefan

Stefan

I absolutely agree that you don't need 108 profiles, I also second that statement with I don't need 108 amps too, just 1 or 2 really good ones. The reason I profiled so many was with the Kemper, when you reduce the volume on your guitar it sounds good to a point (same for reducing the gain control). If I want to have a cleaner sound, especially when recording, I would rather use a clean amp sound than a crunch sound with the input turned down as it can lack punch.

Also as I intended to sell the amp I wanted as many profiles as possible.

I will say although I was not overly impressed with the Kemper compared to my tube amps tonight, I was still impressed with the JVM profiles.

Take care bud

I have a different reasoning on this. As long as I can turn those extra "features" off (or make the bypassable &/or neutral tone wise) when I want to, the more OPTIONS the better off we all are! ;)

Spikey

It is a selfish attitude on my part but my theory for me still stands true. Since moving back to tubes and albeit in a slightly complex way in terms of routing, I have yet to turn the amps on, then the attenuators and do anything other than play. The simplicity has stopped me from button pressing, searching profiles etc.

I would counter the "more options the better off we all are" with the fact I believe less options leads to creativity. We have so many options for recording, pedals, guitars, amps, etc that mastering an instrument has become second place due to the volume of distractions. Certainly the bands in my area either sound so basic they impress only family and friends or they sound unoriginal and like many bands who came before them. I cant remember the last time I walked into somewhere and was blown away by a band.

That's just the opinion of a man distracted by options who at 44 never mastered his instrument LOL.

Hello all

Well because of Covid I decided to take a second journey and a slightly more expensive and extreme one.

After my initial journey I for some reason just could not settle on the JVM profiles as the sound I was looking for. There was still something inherently wrong with the sound that just did not inspire me. The JVM profiles sounded great too but not inspirational.

I unplugged my Kemper, put all the leads in the loft, I went a bit mad and decided to purchase my ideal rig and set it up as follows:

Guitar – Wah – Tuner – FreqOut – TwinCity A/B/Y

The ABY goes output A to GTOD – JCM800 – Two Notes Reload

The ABY goes output B to Silver Jubilee – Two Notes Captor 16

Set to Y it all goes into Cubase running Wall of Sound with JCM800 Left and Silver Jubilee Right.

Now this is the rig I have been trying to build with the Kemper but no matter which profiles I used it always sounded muddy, fizzy, and far too bass heavy under the initial sound. After recording it took a lot of EQ and compression to marry the sounds together. I fired up the JCM800 first, hit a power chord and holy crap there it was, the thump in the chest, the bounce off the strings, the feel was just amazing. Now I already owned the Silver Jubilee and to be honest I just did not warm to it as it was too thick sounding, but it was a sound I wanted to love.

I then fired them both up, panned left and right, and it was just immaculate, inspirational, and big, just huge. The bass heavy thick sound of the Jubilee was offset by the JCM800’s brightness. Not only that apart from a low end roll off the guitars required absolutely no eq.

The Kemper has been powered off for about 2 months now and I decided to fire it up again tonight and profile the JCM800. It sounded better than any of the commercial profiles I have purchased but it still had that muddy, thick bassy underbelly that I did not like. I then played some commercial profiles and due to listening to the real deal for a few months they sounded dreadful. I switched to the JCM and the smile was back on my face.

I do not view the Kemper in a negative light, I see it the same way as I don’t like Fender amps but I would never say they were bad, just not to my taste. For me the Kemper is not to my taste and after 5 years (I think) of ownership it has been on eBay (no offers but let’s face it who’s buying at the moment) and it will hopefully sell soon enough.

A big consideration I will say for anyone taking this route is, Jesus Christ the attenuators sound fizzy on their own! It is one thing the Kemper does well for silent recording but the Two Notes Captor and Reload with a 100watt amp being attenuated and listened too only in studio monitors are very audible.

As requested and as a thank you to all who have helped me over the years I will post up a Dropbox link tomorrow in the free section to the JVM profiles. I am interested in what other people think of them as I was very happy with them. From memory I profiled 92 settings across all channels and gain stages.

Anyway I hope you are all safe and doing well. If you have any questions about my set-up feel free to ask.

Mike

Monkey_Man

I may need to test that again (it's still on my master channel just disabled) so I can feed back on that.

The ambient reflections where actually quite good but I do feel a small amount of mono reverb on a master buss with the left sound reverbed to the right and visa versa could achieve the same kind of effect.

I may also be a little bias too, I am 44 and have worn headphones almost daily since I was about 13 years old. I still wear headphones for about 90% of my time in work so I am very used to the acoustic space and spacial oddities that headphones provide.

I am internally debating if the better option is headphones, molded earphones (less of an option as if it turns out to be a poor choice I can't exactually get a refund) or HS7 with some room treatment and getting the best I can from my environment.

My next post maybe acoustic solution lol.

All

So far I have also tried out the NX software and to be honest it sounds the same on and off with my Sennheiser HD650s set to HD600. Maybe a little top end but that's about it so I can gladly remove that from my chain. It is also a bit of a resource hog on my computer.

I didn't try Abbey Road Studio 3 as when trying to cretmate an offline installer the Waves software just kept asking me to contact support. After doing so with no reply I gave up.

My next test was Reference4 which I believe flattens the EQ on headphones. As they didn't include the Net 3.5 installer in the download and my PC is offline I need to run some DISM commands to install it.

At the moment that all feel like snake oil to me. Yes they do something but I can do the same thing by listening to a reference track, add some eq to the master channel so I even out the reference track and mix to that level. I know I won't get the monits placed forward in the headphone mix but I actually don't mind that.

Still reviewing options.

Chris Duncan

What a great shout!

Ironically I have a rack mounted IEM system I used periodically when singing on stage. I didn't like it much as when you sing the sound kind of filters in and out depending on how wide your mouth it open.

I now use it in the studio to sing vocal parts as it doesn't bleed as you said. It also means I am not attached to my studio gear when using headphones (great for not rolling your chair over the cable or it hitting the guitar when trying to record)

Do you find the custom molds consistent in how they deliver music when you sing? As in you open your mouth, your ear position changes but it still retains the same clarity of music.

Cheers

Yeah I tried NX before but as I had a bigger better room it wasn't the solution but I have tested it, albeit without the tracking, and it works really well. I have now purchased NX as its £28 so nothing will be lost as it could even be just another reference environment. I wanted to check out Abbey Road Studio 3 but it wouldn't even download.

I was also starting to mix in mono a while back and found it very appealing as it was much easier to hear how guitar parts work together, frequency issues and polarity issues.

Regarding conventional translation to other medium I agree for those able and in great environments to do it the traditional way, certainly not mocking it. Using my own analogy the Kemper is great, it does not feel 100% like a tube amp and like having a good room with great monitors headphone will never have that feel to it.

I will probably end up with monitors, NX and Headphone just so I have options. I also, and as a few have said, agree that knowing your equipment is vital. Before I worked my arse off to get paid what I do now I used to mix on a pair of eltax floor standing speakers and a Cambridge A1 amplifier. My friend had a small studio and was always asking how I got the drums to sound big, why the guitars sounded so big. He expected as he had the gear that was taken care off, I knew I didn't so I compensated for that.

Has anyone used Abbey Road Studio 3 with headphones? If so how do you feel it worked for you. I managed to buy and get NX working but Abbey Road kept asking me to contact support.

Cheers all and this is very interesting to read through.

It's funny, I had a thought whilst looking for monitors;

Why am I buying speakers? When was the last time I went to anyone's house and they owned a pair of speakers or a hifi for that matter? All I see are people listening in headphones, earbuds and single speaker systems with built in Bluetooth where the stereo image is already modified to suit the purpose of the listening device.

This got me asking other questions such as is the need to have speakers similiar to tube amp versus Kemper where the people using amps are stuck in the past sometimes unwilling to embrace new technology and concepts because in the end its about how it translates to the audience and not about what equipment they want to personally use.

With that in mind I have decided for a few weeks to embrace my new found scepticism and try a new approach. I will mix in mono on my working speaker and use Waves Nx with my headphones to do stereo mixing and recording.

Am I mad?

You could be onto something as reading about ported and unported makes me feel the bass was hyped then ported then cornered so could have been a combination of all 3 providing the artificial bass. I would notice it was hard to compress bass as the bass would continue after the bass sample/bass guitar had finished.

The HS8 are looking like the front runners but as its Saturday, and the earliest I can get a set is Monday, I am going to read about the benefits of headphones for my situation rather than speakers due to the limitations of the room. I own the industry standard headphones, the ones that are deemed the best for mixing on headphones (can't remember the name of them at the moment.) as it may be a much more appropriate approach for my situation. I know the limitations and I know that everywhere I look it says "never mix on headphones" but this is not commercial mixing.

I will probably end up with the HS8s anyway as I am sure I couldnt deal with the cable with headphones. Sitting on it, it hitting the guitar etc.

I could just mix in mono, I still have a working monitor lol.

Mike