Posts by e1614e36a3b051571d61cb8fdc50c4becad982a2

That's what I have found, I will need two and then the cables which is going to be expensive.

I also looked at the additional UR series from Steinberg as they are integrate but none come with Coaxial SPDIF connections.

If no one knows a good dual convertor unit at a decent cost then I may just put the FreqOut in front of the Kemper and then change it around when I am gigging.

I do wish there was a few dedicated effects loops on the Kemper but it's a limitation I suppose I'll have to find a way around.

If I find an answer I'll post it here and hopefully we can help each other find a solution.

Thank you for your help.. Mike

Hi NightLight

Strangely enough I was just looking at other quality soundcards like Apollo and RME and you are right it's quite a cost for less flexibility.

In regard to convertor can anyone recommend a good quality convertor. For those who are using them can I ask 2 questions:.

1) are they passive using or do they all require power?

2) would I need 2 convertors, one for each side (input and output) or would I be able to get a single unit that will accommodate both connections.

Cheers guys

Mike

Hello all

I currently use a UR824 rack mount soundcard in my little studio. I have been looking at adding a few external pedals which will be mounted in the rack case, left on and activated by using the stomp button to turn on the Kemper loop.

I reamp all of my guitar parts but as I understand the DI Out is also the Effects Send so when recording I would have to remove the loop connections to use the DI for reamping.

Now I could use the Coaxial SPDIF connections on the Kemper but the UR824 only has the Optical Toslink connections and to be honest I don't want to spend a money on convertors and cables adding more complexity and points of failure to my system as it's quite streamlined.

So my thoughts are, as I don't need all of the connections in the ur824, to sell the UR824 and buy a smaller unit that has the correct connections for the Kemper.

I am looking for some recommendations on what soundcards you guys have had success with.

Connections wise all I use now is a microphone, speakers, headphone out, kemper reamped.

Any ideas in the £500 region.

Cheers people

Mike

Philbert.

The new Soundcard is a good suggestion but I use a ur824 which is a responsibly expensive rack mount that integrates really well with Cubase. The Ur824 doesn't have the correct spdif connections and I don't really want to buy convertors as I put a lot of effort in streamlining my gear, but I suppose it's always an option.

I am with you in that I don't want to see a Kemper 2, it's a selfish thing as I have only owned mine for 3 months and I would hate to have to make a loss selling Kemper 1 to buy Kemper 2.

By the way I do agree, we get a lot more than an amp Profiler for our cash.

Cheers for the reply

Mike

Ok

I think I found the answer and was slightly disappointed.

There is an effects loop which unfortunately is shared with the same sockets used for reamping so I would have to put it in front of the Kemper in the studio and then assign the loop to a slot when playing live. Shame there is no dedicated effects loop, in fact more than 1 effects loop would have been great.

As there is only 1 effects loop it looks like the FreqOut will be the only pedal I purchase.

I can't help but laugh at the irony, I couldn't control the feedback on the JVM410h now I want to create artificial feedback lol.

Us guitarists, never happy

Mike

Hello all

Since buying the Kemper I have sold all of my external pedals. I am extremely happy with the amp profiles and to be honest everything else. There are a few pedals I am considering buying though, namely a boost pedal and the FreqOut but I have a question.

One of the reasons I purchased the Kemper rack mount version was to have a portable solution with the minimum amount of pedals on the floor and a single cable to the Kemper. Now if I buy external pedals I would like to put them within the rack case, leave them switched on and toggle them via the pedal board. So for example assign switch 1 on the pedal board to turn on and off the slot with the boost and assign switch 2 to turn on and off the slot with the FreqOut. Is this possible?

If it is how many slots can be assigned to the external pedals and do you notice any quality issues running them this way rather than direct to the front of the Kemper?

Thank you

Mike :thumbup:

Hi Jesse

Welcome to the forum.

I have personally never tried it but people do get mixed results with the Kemper through a guitar cab. The Kemper is meant to produce the sound of the amp, cab and microphone (the sound an audience would hear through the Pa) . You can disable the cabs aims in the Kemper but from what I have read the Kemper then sounds very similar on most profiles due to the cab being 80% of the amps sound.

To answer your questions:
    1) yes you can still use a powered speaker. I own the powered Kemper but use a powered Pa speaker for sound. I just like the idea that if my Pa speaker broke I can use the power amp to a guitar cab for emergency monitoring.

2) yes and this is the preferred method of most users. The Kemper is very configurable for instance you can have multiple outs say mains to front of house PA whilst having an output to the powered monitor. You will have separate volume for both connections so you can send a good signal to the front of house and then never touch that volume. You can then use the volume to control your stage volume without effecting the front of house signal.

3) yes but if the speaker is unpowered you will either need the powered kemper or some sort of amplification.

4) the only difference is the power amp.

The Kemper does have a learning curve but straight off the bat you will find great tones. The learning curve is if you want to profile your amps and whilst the interface is extremely intuitive it still take a while to understand.

I purchased the powered Kemper with the foot pedal, 2 mission pedals and a DXR10 power speaker. If I was to purchase again I would not buy the powered version, I would have purchased a second DXR10 instead (I sing too so would have provided an independent speaker for vocals plus if one breaks I can just use one) and only a single mission pedal.

There are people who use the Kemper via a guitar cab but I would factor in needing a FRFR system too just in case it does not work out sound wise for you.

Mike

Hi all

Sorry I was unsure of what to put as the title.

I have a very good and powerful PC that I use for recording. It's connected up to my UR824 using Cubase.

Now I also have a very powerful laptop and what I want to do is be able to do my recordings on the desktop and then transfer the files to my laptop so I can sit on the couch with headphones on and edit files.

Does anyone else work in this way and how do you cope with not having a second Soundcard and coping with the constant change of I/Os?

I do understand that in Cubase I could make different temples for I/O (so this may very well be that solution) and I think the only way I can actually get decent latency without a second Soundcard is with ASIO4ALL but I am just wondering if anyone else works the same way and how they overcome any issues.

Just trying to maximise my time.

Thank you

Mike

Hello all

It would be fantastic if the community were to work together or the information released so an individual could develop an editor. This is quite similar to the TC Helicon VL3X where the company did not want to develop an editor so released a very similar product to Rig Manager. Someone else developed an editor, I paid £35 for it and its utilised on a daily basis.

As for the comment of a Kemper 2 with VST/editor support I would personally see this approach as insulting. As a late adopter of the Kemper and after splashing out over £3000 for all the required components including an FRFR I would be more than annoyed to have to sell the Kemper at a loss just so the company can push a new product.

It would be good to see them go down the Line6 route of offering VST integration and an editor as a separate product. I wouldn't mind paying £100 for the convenience.

Just my opinion.

Mike

It's works well for me plus it's an absolute time saver. There is no point in having rigs I don't like or amps I would never use for my style of music in the Kemper.

I just backup in Rig Manager whenever I create a new performance or add in any rigs. I do wish it had an auto back on close feature in Rig Manager.

Hope you enjoy the Kemper.

Mike

Also if you want to only have rigs on the Kemper you like and the rest in Rig Manager you can erase all none favourites off the device. I think you do this by pressing the Rig or System button and selecting Erase None Favourites. This is how I use it as it saves me scrolling through hundred or thousands of presets on the device.

Sorry I can't be more specific I am not in front of the device.

Mike

Hey

I think the confusion is you installing it on the Kemper. Rig Manager is not firmware but a manager for the rigs.

You need to install 2.1 on your PC.

Download Rig Manager 2.1

Double click the zip file to open it up

Double click the 64bit version if you are on a 64bit system (most are and it won't install if you are not) or the 32bit version if you have a 32bit operating system.

This should start the installation process on your PC NOT on your Kemper

To confirm it has worked open up Rig Manager on your PC, on the top menu select Help and then About (from memory) and you should get a pop up box saying it's version 2.1

Does that help

Mike

If you have not already download the Deep Edit manual rather than the generic on. I read this before my purchase and watched all the videos, read posts and have zero regrets in my purchase.

I use it in the studio, live and in rehearsal and I will say my tone has improved on all counts.

There is a lot to it and you can refine the sound in so many ways but believe me it's so easy to use.

Mike