Posts by Tramp1

I too struggle with a mismatch between how my rigs are named on the remote and how they appear on the profiler. My guess--I'll need to slow down to verify this--is that this occurs when I move rigs around within a given performance, so #2 above. I'll try simply creating performances on the profiler, but can't help but feel this is a big loss, given how much longer it takes to enter names that way. Love my Kemper more every day, but this is truly frustrating.

Support suggested I send a backup of the system from before I manually restored one or both of the missing rigs, which unfortunately I don't have. I've been thinking user error may play a role in this, but here's the funny thing. When I opened RM last night to set up some performances for an upcoming gig, the 'lost' rigs were there under their original names, earlier in the chronologically-ordered list of rigs than their replacements. It's as though something happened--perhaps during the freeze-ups, perhaps not--to rename/reorder the rigs without actually erasing them. At this point I'm just going to soldier on and hope that it doesn't happen again.

I heard back from support (very quickly, I might add). They asked, understandably, whether the rigs might not have just disappeared from Favorites but not from All Rigs. Unfortunately, they disappeared entirely from the latter. (I should probably check to see that they weren't somehow renamed in a very different way.) Truly odd!

Twice over the past couple of weeks I’ve had much loved (and tweaked) profiles disappear from Favorites and All Rigs. (I still have the originals in RM.). Since upgrading to the 5.6.2 beta, I’ve also experienced two system crashes. I frankly don’t know for sure that these were the rigs I was using when the crashes occurred, but it’s not unlikely. I’ll submit a ticket to support but wanted to see a) if anyone else has had this problem and b) if there’s an obvious thing I’m missing here. Thanks!

One of the many things I love about the KPA is the ability to audition amps to see if they’re in the sonic ballpark, so to speak. I’ve been intrigued for a while now by the PRS DG30. It’s not available on the RE. Anyone know of a profile for this?
    Thanks!

It's all profile dependent. The KPA doesn't care, but you have to match the profiles to the guitar you're using. I have my performances grouped for specific guitars, with a short, two or three letter prefix code to identify which guitar that particular performance was adjusted for.

This gybes almost entirely with my limited experience. Do you have different versions of the same profile set up for different guitars or, more likely, profiles set up for the guitars that match their style best? The one reason why I've gravitated toward single coils with the Kemper is that I find it easier to ride the edge-of-breakup margin, where I like to live. That said, I've mostly been playing through headphones at home or through monitors at the studio and have not yet had occasion to crank the thing through an FRFR live.

I dare say we've all had the experience of finding that certain tube amps do better with single coils, others with humbuckers--without even getting into more nuanced distinctions of style and genre. Because the KPA does such a wonderful job at capturing the nuances of a wide array of amps, it makes sense that some profiles would work better with some guitars and others with others. Having said that, I've been surprised to find that I nearly always reach for my strat--a Brondel and Thornton Nowcaster--when firing up the Kemper. Some of this may be explainable by the fact that, having liked the Nowcaster with the KPA from the start, I've tended to tweak profiles to suit it. But it does have me wondering: do those of you who have way more time with the Kemper than my three months find you prefer it with a certain guitar, or certain styles of guitar?
    Thanks!

Hi Horspip, I am using master mono monitor output… Is this what you mean?
    Btw, You have no idea how overjoyed I would be if I do have something set up wrong! I feel like I’m going insane…

I'm an old tube hound but don't recognize what you're saying about the Kemper. Unless I'm missing something, it sounds as though you're plugging into Monitor Out when you want Speaker Out. (I made this mistake when I first got mine.)

Just a quick note to say the Kemper did beautifully in the studio last night! I recorded the rhythm tracks through a Top Hall Club Royale, so did most of the overdubs with the nicely complementary Morgan AC 20 profile at various levels of delay and gain. Also added some great atmospherics with the TAF Woke up in... profile. I've never much liked having to sweat mic placement of my amps in the studio, so the KPA was a revelation.

As mentioned above, with accurate FRFR, accurate cans and accurate studio monitors, the sounds should be fairly consistent except for the "cab in the room effect" of listening through speakers.

What I think you need to be aware of, is that your tone live, through the PA is going to be brighter than you hear it through your headphones, and probably most similar to how it sounds through your FRFR at volume. This is due to the Fletcher-Munson effect. Also, as a result of dialing in your tones through an FRFR at volume, they may tend to be a little darker when recorded. It's easy enough to compensate for it in post production, just something to be aware of.

I've gotten in the habit of tweaking tones through studio monitors, my Sennheiser cans, and my Westone IEMs so that I have three reference points. This has worked well for me, and strikes a nice balance between studio and stage use.

Thanks. Very helpful!

I find that my headphone sound is a bit brighter than my FRFR in room. But I've not yet had a chance to truly crank the Xitones and have read that the HD 280 Pros tend slightly toward the treble range, so this could be a confluence of factors. To the studio tomorrow!

I own a bunch of great tube amps. Though I live in town, I find I can crank them quite a bit without bothering the neighbors.

I recently bought a Kemper in part to use it with headphones during an upcoming out-of-town, apartment stint. Over the last two months, my tube amps have been pretty much gathering dust. To me, the Kemper through headphones is truly amazing, especially when dialed in to one's taste. (It positively obliterates a Star Nova I bought years ago for that purpose.)

This is my first true foray into the digital realm so will leave to Mike and others to compare options there.

Seconding (thirding?) the morph recommendation. I find that the KPA's stomps don't quite rise to the level of the best pedals, but using morph to increase gain as needed is a very cool trick! I tend to use it to boost above an edge-of-breakup baseline, but clean to gain works well too.

I'm genuinely suspecting that we're done with anything major. I appreciate that announcing that they're finished is as good as suicide but I'm just not convinced that there's something major around the corner.

I desperately hope that is not the case. The KPA is an amazing tool, but standing still is as good as death in this environment. Like so many, I'm holding out hope for an editor.