Posts by nottoohigh

Did not know that, thanks!
    I currently use a Crybaby wah (with a substituted linear pot) as an expression pedal. I'm still thinking about including an on/off switch as well. The momentary button with click might be a nice option, as it gives some tactile feedback.

Yes if you want some tactile feedback then the other switch I linked to (not the soft touch) does has a somewhat similar feel to the KPA remote switches with make an audible "click" when you press them.

Oops - already ordered the parts. Oh well. I'm actually planning to use it for one stomp and also to change rigs, not the looper function. 14 bucks shipped, not too bad.

ugh! sorry I didn't catch your post sooner! But indeed if not using for the looper functions then it's not an issue. The tayda soft touch switches do really have a nice soft touch (very quiet too) and appear to work fine with all other functions except looper.

In any case, I actually prefer using the dedicated remote looper switches rather than external switches, because otherwise you will not be in the looper mode on the remote and can't see the looping progress bar which is handy when overdubbing to a loop with a fairly static chord progression.

Indeed nottoohigh,I am beginning to realise that the options are endless.
    When I started the thread I was wrongly assuming that you somehow have to chose one type of connection for your kemper and stick to it and with all you guys' posts I realise that as long as you have cables and inputs in your interface theres loads of solutions.
    It's like expecting a linear computer game from the 90's and being landed in an open world sandbox game of today,I kinda feel like Alice in Wonderland :D

Yes, KPA is very flexible as far as outputs for performing, monitoring and recording goes.

Thank you! Ok so it looks like 2 inputs on the kpa. Maybe I'll just stick with the 2 stomps as you did. Thank you!

In retrospect, I would have preferred to get a slightly larger enclosure (like this one or this one if you prefer green) and put 4 switches in it. that way, I could use just 2 with one cable but have the flexibility to add a second cable and use all 4 switches. For now I'll just build another identical 2 switch as I have another spare enclosure of that size lying around.

Also regarding switches, I would not recommend these ones any longer:

https://www.taydaelectronics.c…p-foots-pedal-switch.html

Instead I would recommend these ones:

https://www.taydaelectronics.c…switch-solder-lugs-2.html

The reason not to use the "soft touch" switches is I found they don't work reliably with the KPA looper functions. Don't know why, but they work fine for all the other functions such as delay infinity / hold, stomp on/off, browse rigs up/down etc. Just don't work properly with the looper start / stop, overdub functions. Whereas the 1PDT switch linked second above do work fine with all the possible functions you might want to assign. Just my personal experience with these.

Just another angle to suggest which you could consider as I have a pretty similar set up (focusrite 6i6 using the s/pdif in and out, Yammy HS-8 and iMac). I described my set up in detail in this post: Set up

Since the time of that post I have also in addition started using the KPA direct out and Monitor out, each going into channel 3 and 4 resp. on the focusrite, this in addition to using the s/pdif connections as well. Now I use s/pdif for full stereo signal, full KPA stack wet signal (record in 2 separate tracks in Logic), and KPA direct out for dry signal and KPA monitor out for KPA stack only (no fx), also each recorded to seperate tracks in Logic. So total of 4 tracks at a time. Allows for a lot of flexibility when mixing after tracking since you have full wet in stereo if you are happy with it, or totally dry if you want to reamp, or stack only with no fx if you want to add your fx via your DAW instead or even reamp that track instead with KPA fx instead.

Lots of fun, yes? :)

Just confirming that you are HOLDING down the calibrate soft button when you do the sweep of the pedal and not just pressing and releasing the button. Correct?

Is there a way to program the performance channel up/down buttons to go straight to performance 1? I have several on-the-fly profiles in performances 1 & 2 then song-specific performances in the higher numbers. Sometimes the set list doesn't go as planned (shock!) and I may need to jump from performance 34 to 1 or 2. Manually tapping 30+ times on the fly gets interesting.

Since you want to get to performance 1 (or 2, close enough), no need to tap 30+ times. Simply press down on the "down" footswitch and hold it and it will fast "scroll" through all the performances till it gets to 1. Only takes a few seconds to fast scroll in this way through 30+ performances.

Just a thought: if the reason you don’t want to just assign one switch to trem and another switch to rotary is because you can’t afford to use up 2 switches for these effects (you need the switches for other effects in your rig), you can consider adding more physical switches by getting a 2 way switch that plugs into the remote. Such as the one Kemper sells.

You can then assign one switch on your 2 way switch to say stomp slot C and one switch to stomp slot D. This will apply to all rigs automatically. Then put your trem in C and rotary in D or whatever you need. So no need to use up the switches on the remote. One downside is no led indication that the effect is engaged or not.

For about $10 in materials cost, or less if you find cheaper suppliers or re-use stuff you might already have lying around, you can build your own 2 way switch that can be used with the KPA, or other gear that uses this sort of switch.

Here's what we are building:

I made one recently and thought I'd share the steps - it's really simple. You can use this switch assigning what each button does in the "Pedal" pages of the System menu, such as Browse Rigs (Up and Down), or Looper Start, Looper Stop (without needing to enter Looper mode first), Infinity (Delay), Hold (Delay), etc etc. Very handy I find to supplement the Profiler Remote.

Parts list:

- Enclosure
    - 2 x momentary stomp switches
    - 1 x 1/4" stereo jack
    - some thin gauge electrical wire, any colour, around 20cm is all you need

Tools:

- Soldering iron and some solder
    - adjustable wrench (to tighten the nuts on the jacks and switches)
    - drill to drill the holes for the jack and switches

Steps:

1) Drill holes in enclosure

2) Wire up and solder as shown below

Note:
    - colour of wires doesn't matter
    - in my switch, I used blue for the "ground/sleeve" terminal on the jack
    - left switch goes to "ring" terminal (purple wire)
    - right switch goes to "tip" terminal (other purple wire)
    - you can reverse which is which if you want, doesn't matter: In the KPA you can configure which switch does what anyway.
    - since NO AUDIO SIGNAL passes through the switch, you don't even have to be too fussy about the quality of your solder connections, in case soldering isn't your thing. Just so long as the connections don't fall apart and don't short out, it should work fine.

And that's it! Really not much to it. Hope this is useful!

Yes right, it's either the 1/4" or the XLRs outs, not both together.

If you don't want to use the outputs on the scarlett for the studio monitors as an earlier poster suggested, you can keep your KPA to studio monitors as-is, and instead use Monitor Output and Direct Output jacks from the KPA into the 2 line/instr inputs on your scarlett (set the switches on the scarlett front panel to "INST").

On the KPA, in Output menu page 1, set Monitor output to Master Left and Direct Output to Master Right, thus giving you the full stereo signal, just as good as using the Main Outs (which of course we are saying you can't because they are tied up going into your studio monitors).

Hi Everyone,
    I am interested in what Burkhard said in his very helpful response. I have a question.
    If one assigns the looper button to be looper start, the tuner button to be loop stop and tap button to be loop trigger, is this a global setting change that affects all rigs, or is it possible on a rig by rig basis? If it is rig by rig it will be sooo helpful.
    Cheers
    Pre-Amp

It is a global setting, not rig by rig.

Spdif keeps the signal digital all the way through, which some people like versus converting to analog to go over xlr cables then back to digital by your interface.

Spdif is also a stereo signal over a single cable. If you go into the output menu on the kpa the page where you assign outputs to each jack type shows you the options you have with spdif, such as sending full stereo signal, or wet mono signal on one channel and dry guitar signal on the other, still all going over a single cable and all digital, no conversion.

Since your Scarlett has it, might be worth taking advantage of it, especially since RCA cables don't cost much anyway. Also makes reamping a cinch.

Me personally I prefer to keep the number of profiles on my kpa quite lean. So I'll audition stuff via RM and tweak etc but only very selectively save those to the profiler if I really like them.

And I don't worry too much that eg CSP 2 might actually sound a little better than CSP 1 or whatever. If I have a sound that works for the part and I like it, thats all that matters.

You didn't specify which Scarlett interface you have but if it has S/Pdif, like mine does, you could take advantage of that too for recording. In that case one RCA cable for kemper spdif out to Scarlett spdif in. And if you want to reamp without swapping connections, make that one more RCA cable as well for kemper spdif in to Scarlett spdif out.

Seems there are (roughly speaking) 3 camps here:

- Camp 1: those hoping for new products from Kemper (e.g. floor unit)

- Camp 2: those hoping for some "exciting" software updates for their existing kemper (e.g. new reverbs in firmware, new rig manager/editor for your PC etc)

- Camp 3: those perfectly or generally content with their KPA exactly as it exists today. Pleased when new updates come out but not holding their breath waiting for it cos they feel the KPA already does pretty much everything they need TODAY to make the music they want to make (err... yes, I belong in this camp).

For those in camp 1: I don't think it's reasonable to be angry at kemper for not releasing some new product that you want. Just find some other company that has it (e.g Helix floor unit) and buy that if that's what you want

For those in camp 2: Yes, Kemper did promise lifetime updates (ie "feature additions") as part of their marketing when you bought the product, but they never said what exactly those updates would include. But OK, I get that people can hope and dream (and then get disappointed). Just remember Kemper never promised more than lifetime updates (or some kind or other). that's it.

For those in all camps: let's all just pull out our guitars, plug into our KPAs and just make some more music... Over and out! :thumbup: