Posts by nottoohigh

And more thoughts to the OP:

- After trying the factory settings reset as suggested by penatuna above, if still not satisfied with the sound, try downloading the profiles from Anderton's Kemper video (look in the video description for the dropbox link) and compare your set up against what you hear in the video. Those are direct profiles of a marshall and a morgan.

- Yes you won't be using the same cab, or same guitar, and theirs is a mic-d up demo gone through youtube video compression etc etc. BUT you should still get a sound that is in the same ballpark through your set up

- At least I do when I play those profiles and compare to their video - it sounds close, very close. What you describe your kemper sounds like doesn't appear to be just your sound perception different from someone else, but something definitely wrong with the gear or the set up, because it shouldn't be that hard to get a good (or even great) sound from kemper straight into a cab. So long as you are using the red speaker out on the back and cab sim is off (which you said it is). Anyway, please do try those direct profiles and see how it goes.

Keep us posted and good luck!

To the OP: recent powerhead owner here as well.

Using the kemper sometimes through my orange PPC212 2x12 120w cab with v30s. So not so different from your set up. Mine works great for my taste and I've totally stopped playing through other software like bias or amplitude, or line6 modelling stuff, which I also own.

Also find the kemper compares very favourably to my orange rockerverb 100w head going through the same cab (made my own profiles of it to compare).

Make sure you are using speaker out on the kemper to your cab and not monitor out.

I also play at other times via studio monitors or akg headphones, also very satisfied with the feel and sound compared to my experience with tube amps.

So if you are still having issues, seriously consider it might be a defective unit you got. Have you tried contacting support?

If you want to keep everything hooked up and not have to switch connections from time to time, I don't think you can achieve that with your current set up. I'm a big fan of adding a mixer to the set up, which is what I use, and I run a looper as well (Ditto x4). This allows me to keep everything connected always, including having backing tracks in stereo and headphone monitoring, plus outs to studio monitors, and even have my PC/DAW through the same set up.

The key piece is a small, low-cost, 4-channel mixer. In my case a mackie 402VLZ4, which I find has a really good headphone preamp and does not colour the Kemper's tone in any way.

So set up is kemper main outs into the Ditto looper (which is stereo) using standard guitar cords. Then Ditto looper outs into mixer channel 1 and channel 2 (1 panned left, 2 panned right, for true stereo effect), gain and eq on mixer set flat so as not to add any colour or boost to the kemper profile's inherent tone.

Backing tracks can be from iPhone/iPad/etc via channel 3 and 4 on mixer (so it's stereo as you want), or from PC which goes into aux in on mixer. Every input has it's own level control, plus there's a master level control.

Then outs on mixer into studio monitor or just use the mixer's headphone out (since your main requirement was to use headphones).

One caveat since my looper is AFTER the kemper, it gets the full stack including all Fx, which is exactly how I want it, but might not be how you want it since you run yours in the fx loop right now.

Hope that all makes sense!

How do I achieve one track with a wet audio signal and one track with a dry audio signal and be able to record both tracks at the same time?

Also......Does each track loaded into the DAW have the capability to be routed individually? I tried this and each time I changed the I/Os (from the I/O section in the track editor), it changed both tracks I/Os.

My set up is Kemper S/PDIF out to Scarlett 6i6 S/PDIF in, and Scarlett USB to my Mac, running Logic. On the Kemper, Output menu page 1 set S/PDIF Output to "Git / Master Left" and that gives dry signal on track 5 and wet signal on track 6 in Logic.

I also run my Kemper via S/PDIF into a Scarlett 6i6. I don't think it's your imagination that the Kemper headphone out sounds better than the Focusrite headphone out. I remember doing some A/Bing similar to what you describe and thinking it didn't sound quite as good using headphones via the Focusrite. could be the headphone pre-s on the focusrite aren't that good, not sure.

Anyway, I also struggled with the Focusrite control software when I was trying to use the focusrite as a mixer in addition to an audio interface. Not worth the struggle in my opinion. Now my set up is much better for my needs and only required adding a small 4-channel mackie mixer and no need to upgrade the Focusrite - it is still used for tracking in my DAW but not for any mixer stuff or audio monitoring. the mackie mixer handles that beautifully and no loss in tone versus using Kemper's direct headphone out.

I described my set up in this post:
    Studio Monitors Issue and FRFR Advice

It won't surprise me if the Adams; are better as they're at least double the price of the yamaha so the components are hopefully better.

I was thinking the same thing. Doesn't seem a fair comparison for this class of yamaha monitors to go up against the adams. I'm happy with my HS8s although indeed a pair of adams sure would be nice to have... :)

I could still do with some advice on where is best to manage the db (from the kemper, forte or yamaha hs5 volume controls).

Also is it best to use the main outs to the two forte instrument cables?

That was how I was doing it previously when I went from Kemper (both main outs) to Focusrite Scarlett (6i6) - went into the 2 instrument inputs. Set the level on the scarlett to just below where it would clip.

Volume control to monitors was then managed from within the focusrite control software (on PC or Mac, mac in my case) which is basically like a software based mixer.

Things I didn't like with this set up:

1) if you then turn up the master volume on the kemper (assuming you have kept master linked to main outs), this drives a stronger signal to the focusrite and makes it clip unless you back gain down on the focusrite. but then you might have the signal too low for other profiles and there's still the volume control in the software based mixer to balance. So too many volume control variables I found.

2) Plus I wanted an aux in for mp3 (usually coming from a smartphone or tablet) - yes you can use the alt input and return input on the kemper as an aux in (and I did try that too), but then you need to manage the volume level via the output menu for the aux in (if left linked to master volume, too hard to manage given master is also controlling output of the main guitar signal).

Solution for my case was "simple" (but yes, did require 1 more piece of gear but relatively low cost and overall a great investment for me) - a small 4 channel mackie mixer. So signal chain is now:

Kemper Main outs
    ->
    Mixer input 1 and input 2, gain level set at unity, eqs set flat (just using 2 standard instrument cables, no noise issues)
    ->
    Mixer main outs L and R to monitors. Mixer main outs level set to unity. Monitor volume I leave at +4db, the "default" mid knob position.
    Mixer headphone out also set to "unity" (which is the midway point on my mixer).

So now just one place to control volume that is heard through the monitors, which is the kemper master volume (assuming it's kept linked to main outs).

External mp3 goes into channel 3 and 4 on the mixer (so I retain stereo). My mixer (and most mixers probably would have too) also has an additional stereo out, which could be what feeds into the focusrite interface for recording.

In my case, I use S/PDIF out from the kemper and the scarlett has SPDIF in. Since your forte doesn't have S/PDIF, if you do get a mixer with an additional stereo out (on top of it's main outs) then you would all set that way too. Alternative would be to use monitor out or direct out from the kemper to your interface if you did get a mixer or have one that doesn't have additional outputs on top of main outs.

Importantly for me, I have found with this set up, there is no gain boost or loss introduced by the mixer (nor the focusrite interface since it's not part of the chain), nor tone colouration. It sounds exactly like what I would get going from the kemper direct to monitors or the kemper direct headphone out. So I don't have to second guess myself whether a profile I am trying out really sounds that way or is something in my signal chain changing the levels or colouring the tone.

Finally, I also want to run my DAW monitoring via the yammy monitors of course, which is simple with the mixer - output from PC/Mac goes into aux in on the mixer, which has it's own level/volume control. Also means I can listen to music using the yammies while working.

Sorry for long story, I know it doesn't directly map to your situation (of going direct to the forte interface) - just sharing what has worked well for me as I have tried the direct to interface method like you for a while, and just found if too cumbersome to get the manage the levels for everyday playing/practice/recording.

Hi there again! glad you are making progress and I definitely know the feeling of really don't need to have more gear ;) (but it would still be nice to have.... hee hee).

I don't think you mentioned whether you were running your headphones direct out from the kemper phone out or from your focusrite phones out - that would make a difference to when comparing to monitors running out from the focusrite. I do find the focusrite adds some colouration (mine does, not much but it does add some)

Other thing I didn't say earlier is now I run the kemper into a small 4 channel mackie mixer and then monitors are running off that. So I don't run into the focusrite at all for this part of the chain. I did initially go into the focusrite and use that as a mixer but wasn't too happy with the result. The mackie (it's a 402 VLZ4) is a pretty low cost mixer and I find it doesn't colour the sound at all (having run A/B tests going direct from Kemper to monitors or headphones and going through the mixer first to monitor or phones).

So basically I don't have the focusrite as part of the chain for what I hear from the monitors. Instead I go into the focusrite via S/PDIF and the focusrite into my Mac for recording. Having the mixer also allows me to run other stuff in like external mp3 to jam along to without relying on my PC or the focusrite. Just a lot of flexibility that way.

Hi Pedalo,

i've got a set up not too different from yours - Kemper Powered Toaster, Yamaha HS8 monitors, akg K240 headphones, focusrite scarlett interface. Plus I have a rockerverb 100 mkIII :) and pedal board that I thought of selling after getting the kemper. (more on that later)

Couple quick thoughts:

- Sound perception is always subjective but good quality profiles to me pretty much always sound good or great through the headphones, even at relatively low volume. I believe this is because the phones are almost right up against your ear, so you "feel" the tone and low end push even when volumes are quite low

- at similarly low volumes on my HS8 monitors, the sound is not so satisfying, but I have gotten used to it over time and understand why it doesn't feel as good as the headphones. BUT when I pump up the volume when going through the monitors (not quite rattling the windows but to where you can feel the thump in your body a little), I am satisfied with the sound. So question how loud have your pushed things going through our HS5s? being as theses are 5inch woofers versus the 8inch in my set, you probably won't get the kind of thump you are used to, especially not coming from being a rockerverb player (hee hee, I know the feeling, the rockerverb mkIII is an absolute beast and I guess you have maybe a 2x12 or even a 4x12 cab you run that baby through? If so, no way your HS5 can compete with that feeling. but headphone can)

- Check if you have the Space param set to headphones only (Output menu page 5, the "Space>HeadphOnly" box should be unchecked if you want the space param to also apply to the main outs, not just headphones). Because that can colour your perception and make the phones experience feel more "deep" versus the monitors (main outs) experience. So do check that.

Hope it helps!

PS: I also thought of selling my rockerverb at first, but after more thought, I'd say, hey if you can afford to keep yours, don't rush to sell it. Great as the kemper is (and I LOVE mine to bits), the rockerverb MK3 is one incredible amp and the build quality is so good, it will last a lifetime. It's capable of many many great tones. It's OK to love the kemper and still love your tube orange (I know you said you didn't feel as satisfied with the orange after getting the kemper but it could be some honeymoon effect so give the orange more time to do it's thing).

I have to buy a brand new flash drive every time I update my Kemper. It formats o.k., but after getting the update loaded to the flash drive, the Kemper does not see it and no update question appears on the screen of the Kemper.

Anyone got either a similar situation, or a fix, possibly, please?

Hi C-4, just a thought you might try the same workaround that I suggested and used for myself described higher up in this thread. This is for problem getting the kemper to format any USB stick at all - although your problem is different, I think the same solution will work.

So the trick might be for your existing, already used stick, format it for on your PC or Mac to Windows FAT32 format. then insert into kemper.

kemper should then recognise it and show the "external storage" soft button. Hope that helps!

same issue, just received the kemper, hangs on format. Works fine after restart. Otherwise working great. :thumbup:

Hi! New kemper owner here as well (had it about 2 weeks now). First time trying a USB import today and had the exact same issue you reported. Here's what I did to "fix" it (or call it a workaround but it seems to work fine now):

1 - Format your USB stick to Windows FAT32 format first. If you use a Mac, in Disk Utility there is the option for MS-DOS (Fat) format. that's the one you want. Windows user shouldn't have any issues with formatting to FAT32.

Make sure the USB stick is newly formatted to FAT32 and has nothing else stored on it yet.

2 - Now eject USB from computer and turn on Kemper to browse mode. Don't insert USB yet. Wait for Kemper to fully boot.

3 - Now insert USB and wait a short while it should show the soft button "External Storage" in the 3rd slot of the browse mode screen. If you don't see External Storage then browse to and load any profile first so you are on the screen showing the profile, not the main browse screen showing all profiles.

4 - Press "External Storage" soft button and then "Format Device" soft button and then "yes" when prompted. This seems to work and does not hang like it does when you press yes on a new stick that is not formatted first to FAT32.

If you get that far, you can then remove the stick and insert into PC/Mac and copy any profiles you want into "Shared" or whatever it is you wanted to do with the USB.

Hope that works for someone else too!

PS: was doing this because I bought some cab pack and seems USB is the only way to load Cab presets (can't be done via Rig Manager, strangely...)