Posts by Torniojaws

I had that happen today, quite randomly and the things mentioned in other threads didn't help. I tried different USB cables, different ports and different devices, uninstalling all, Windows Update service was running ok, etc. but I always got the same USB not recognized / device descriptor failed error in Windows 8.1 64-bit, even though I hadn't changed anything related to the Kemper for quite a while. Just randomly did that now.

What did help in my case was to:

1. Unplug the USB

2. Upgrade the Profile OS from 7.5.x to the latest (8.0.5) using a USB stick on the back of the profiler

3. Uninstalled everything related to Rig Manager (not sure if necessary, but that's what I also did)

4. Reinstalled the latest Rig Manager (3.0.145)

5. Plugged the USB cable again (first Profiler, then PC)

6. Now it was detected successfully by Windows

Maybe it helps someone :)

Spooky. That label should say "Kemper II", as exactly requested in detail already years ago in this forum. Let's wait for real sound samples.

This is exactly the risk companies face when they settle for whatever good product they first released. If you don't have a decent pipeline of "Version 2", you will sooner or later face other companies with a similar but better product. Whether it is sound quality or features.

I have used the MP100 successfully earlier on, but a while ago I updated the toaster to a recent-ish version (7.1.5.15526), and noticed today that the MP100 does not switch anything in Perform mode. I do get one message when switching off effects, but nothing else happens, so there is MIDI connection between them. I've booted the MP100 in "Kemper mode" by holding the "3" button down when starting the controller, but still nothing happens in any of the 24 banks when pressing Up/Down or A, B, C, D.

Anyone else have similar issues?

That's not a comparison. That's a nerfed Kemper profile against their product. If they want to do a comparison then get the Kemper to profile the Neural then see the comparison..

Isn't that his own comparison? Nothing to do with NeuralDSP the company.

Are these steps still current? When I try to do step 2 in 3.0, I don't get the Create New Performance option, so I'm stuck on that one.

Just gave it a try, but Rig Manager 3.0 crashes every time :D

It seems to be the same as before, but now you right-click on the item under "All Performances", eg. "Local Library". Then it has the option "Add performance setlist".

Nobody has played with one yet

No wonder, as it will be released in September 2020 :)

Anyway for me this is more a competitor to the Fractal products.

I'm not familiar with Fractal - does it support creating your own physical rig profiles like with the Kemper and Quad Cortex?

not on EQ and gain matching as a whole.

Well, I for one have been doing that already back in 2006 or so, using the Voxengo Boogex VST plugin, which I'm quite sure is not the first such :)

Got one yesterday and tried it quickly. It does exactly what it is supposed to :) Didn't have to configure anything and it can be powered from the Kemper USB port, too.

In performance mode, the right-side Up/Down changes your performance.

And the ABCD buttons switch between the first 4 slots in a performance. Press C = Slot 3 is activated. Press A = Slot 1 is activated, etc.

The top row buttons 1-3 appear to toggle the profile Stomps/Stack/Effects settings (top row of the Kemper) on/off. Not sure what button 4 does with a Kemper.

The buttons themselves feel quite cheap and "wiggly", so I wouldn't expect it to last in a live setting. The unit however is very sturdy, like a Boss pedal. So you could probably just replace the push-buttons with better ones to make it a really strong controller :)

I did notice a minor loss of sustain compared to my string-thru-body 27" when going to a Solar A1.7C (26.5"), but the difference is not so big to be a hindrance. The upside of staying in tune far outweighs it.

Had a head-scratcher with this too, for a second. Here's how to do it:

1. In Rig Manager, expand "All Performances" and left-click on "MyProfiler"
    2. In the window (it probably has a list eg. "Example: Mars Amps"), right click wherever in the list and select "Create New Performance"
    3. Then you can give it some name
    4. Then decide which profiles you want to have in the performance
    5. Go back to the profiles list, and select a profile you want to use. Then copy it (Ctrl/Command+C, or alternatively: right-click -> copy)
    6. Go back to the All Performances list and left-click on the one you created
    7. On the right side, you will see some boxes. Click on one of them and paste to it (Ctrl/Command+V, or right-click -> paste)
    8. The profile you copied should now appear in the box
    9. Do the same steps for each profile you want to use in the Performance
    10. Then finally, you can also organise the order by dragging the boxes up/down

Should work.

Perhaps the recorded tones were pushed to digital clipping? Ie. taking the Kemper analog out, and pushing the gain too high in the recording device, so that the input signal in the DAW/recorder is way beyond 0.0 dBFS. As 0.0 is the absolute digital limit, anything signal beyond 0.0 will simply be cut out. That would ruin basically any tone, but it is unfortunately a user error and an uncorrectable one if you didn't record non-clipped DI tracks at the same time.

It is most likely due to regular guitars being often ever so slightly sharp when you tune them "properly" and then play them, even with a light touch. Whereas with ET, they stay put and thus to get the same balance, you'll need a slightly flat bass. I guess on average a normal bass has less of a hard time staying in cent-correct tune than a guitar does due to a far longer scale and thicker strings.

I think it is now 90, but I'm trying hard to bring it down to something like 30 extremely good ones. I try to keep a healthy selection of types of tones though, instead of 10 almost-identical sounds.

Basically:

• Heavy Rhythm

• Middy ones (Marshall, 5150, etc)
      • Darker ones (Mesa, Engl, etc)
      • Something inbetween (Randall, etc)
    • Distorted Leads
      • Still work in progress, but I already have a few go-to's
    • Squeaky Clean
      • Seems to be almost exclusively Mesa stuff, and a couple Roland JC120 things
    • Bass guitar profiles - still heavily in progress
    • Something fun, like crazy effects or inspiring sounds

I don't really play any crunchy stuff, so I don't keep them in mine.

Are you dialing-in any distortion from the HM-2 by the way? Could that be the culprit of the noise? The dist knob barely adds any usable gain above 9 o'clock and just keeps compressing the signal, adding gobs of noise, and slightly having some gain bump over 3 o'clock to max, ends up being in unintelligible mush territory. You could try something like maxing-out the contour to the scoop side, then dial in some mids, maybe on the OD1 or the clean channel crunched out, and then boost it with the HM-2 highs cranked for stockholm?

I tried multiple ways with the gain. Eg.
    - Clean amp with a bit less gain on the HM-2
    - Lead channel with even less gain on the HM-2
    - "middle" positions, etc

But while you can in som cases profile it, it does not sound anything like the room sound. As you mentioned, the Kemper seems to have trouble catching those special types of distortion.

For others' information:

HM-2 waveform (blue) at the classic settings:
    [Blocked Image: https://78.media.tumblr.com/18b003958eec9ec72831b479c378b30a/tumblr_inline_o2gjvefafa1qbux40_500.png]

And more "traditional" distortion pedals:
    [Blocked Image: http://diy-fever.com/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/diode_clipping/led.png]

And a fuzz pedal waveform:
    [Blocked Image: https://www.electrosmash.com/images/tech/fuzz-face/fuzz-face-input-stage-signals.png]

The HM-2 and fuzz waveforms are completely different from "normal" distortion waveforms, and it appears the Kemper is unable to profile that. I think they are both called asymmetrical distortion, but not sure?

I recently bought a cheapo 2,5 euro (3 USD) clip-on from AliExpress and was absolutely happily surprised! It works like a charm with a 2032 battery and was really accurate. I tuned with the Kemper and at the same time looked at the clip-on and it was bang on with the Kemper tuner and really quick.