Posts by Torniojaws

It's something I had suggested to Kemper Amps earlier, because so many classic death and black metal tones are made with boxes like the HM2, which really need a noise gate to cut down on the white noise. There's a request in the feature request section, do support it.

Hmm, I just had an idea that could be worth a try:

• Profile the amp normally, without the HM-2
    • Then profile the profile(!) except through the HM-2
    • In theory, it could help against the "amp too noisy" problem

But this would require two Kempers to do:

• Kemper 1 has the normal profile
    • Kemper 2 in profiler mode, with the output going to the HM-2 and then into Kemper 1 input
    • The Kemper 1 output is then sent to Kemper 2 input and profiled.

With the recent heatwaves, did you play in very hot venues? The Kemper has some overheating protection, though I think it should turn it off instead of reducing volume. Could be a heat symptom though.

Hello Guys.
    I always thought that Jesper and Bjorn used JCM800 for their sound.
    Is there any profile that resambles de audio from "Siren Charms"?

He uses the JCM800 live, but the majority of In Flames albums have the classic Peavey 5150. On the ones after Jesper left, they have used various amps. Couldn't find what they used on Siren, but the ones before it had at least an Orange amp of sorts. You could try profiles of Orange Tiny Terror for example for the new sound. For the older sound (before 2004), a 5150/6505 will get you there without problems.

Edit:
    After a quick listen, Siren does sound a bit Marshall-y, so it might be the JCM800.

awesome, which profiles did you use? anyway well done i liked a lot!

Quad tracked rhythm with LTD SC-607B tuned to "drop G" in a way - all other strings in standard 7-string (BEADGBE), but the thickest string is dropped 4 steps from B to G.

L100 - "JCM2000 TSL60 ML2"
    R100 - "JCM2000 TSL60 ML2"
    L85 - "CORPSE" (= Mesa Triple Rec)
    R85 - "CORPSE"

The bass is mostly just the direct DI signal from Kemper SPDIF, mixed with a little bit of my own profile, which is also in Rig Exchange: "JU - Boss HM-2/Messy"

The clean part is "MESA MARK V CLEAN+"

All profiles are free in Rig Exchange :) Although I have already done a fair bit of post-processing on them:

HP @ 100 Hz
    A small cut at 800 Hz
    A heavy tight Q cut at 4.3 kHz on the JCM2000 tracks (if you're not familiar, these cuts are used to get rid of the "ice pick" sound inherent to almost all guitar amps)
    And the same kind of cut at 4.0 kHz on the CORPSE tracks
    LP @ 13k or so.

And then some extra master channel effects on the mix in general.

And since I'm currently recording the next album, I have some fresh clips from the recording sessions :) Raw mix for now. Once all recording is done, it's time to start mixing it!

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Right on! Where can we hear your stuff? Welcome, officially! :thumbup:

For now, the only Kemper recordings I have are from this year's FAWM. My participation tracks are here:
    Youtube FAWM 2018
    Eg.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

As for my music in general, there's a lot of stuff in my band's channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/vortechband

I think this song captures the main essence:

External Content www.youtube.com

he will use the editor...oh...never mind. Lol

Jokes aside, I do in fact use Rig Manager for most things :) In practice, changing between profiles quickly, eg. when recording 2+2 rhythm tracks (two amps) and also separate clean & lead profiles, plus bass. The spin-dial and up/down buttons UI on the Kemper itself is eh... old school. In the RM, you can just double-click ;)

Well the honeymoon was quite short :D

It has the usual USB problem that after the computer hibernates, the USB does not wake up anymore, until you re-plug it. Unfortunately this seems to make it disappear from ASIO4ALL and you end up with seemingly working config, but no sound coming in through the SPDIF. A few times it has even required a reboot to make it work.

So I guess it's back to my original plan of saving money for a proper interface that comes with RCA SPDIF built-in :)

Well, guess I'll do an intro too, since they seem popular :)

I'm from the northern parts of Finland, but relocated to southern Finland in the end of 2010. Been playing guitar since 1997 and writing, recording & mixing music since 2000. Mostly metal, all the way to extreme speeds. I've self-released 7 full length albums and 3 EPs and one 7" too, and I've played live some 50 times. I have also participated in FAWM since 2015 8) Altogether I have written 200+ songs :D

My string theory has been:

2000 - 2002, Yamaha EG112U 6-stringer
    2002 - 2005, Jackson DX7 7-stringer, later upgraded with a Seymour Duncan Invader pickup
    2005 - Now, Schecter Blackjack C-7 7-stringer
    2008 - Now, Ibanez BTB555-MP 5-string bass
    2014 - Now, LTD SC-607B 7-stringer

I still have all of those guitars, except the Yamaha, which I sold back in 2002. I've always enjoyed the extended range of 7-stringers, but haven't really found a reason to go 8 or 9 though :D

In the amp-side:

2000 - 2001, B2 Bomber (yay!)
    2001 - 2004, Peavey Transtube Bandit 112 (yay!), which recorded surprisingly well for a cheap transistor combo!
    2004 - Now, Engl Powerball
    2008 - 2009, Marshall JCM900 SL-X 50W
    2009 - Now, Peavey Windsor
    2015 - Now, Marshall Valvestate 8100
    2017 - Now, Kemper toaster

Cabs:

2004 - Now, Engl Vintage E212V - still the best sounding cab I've ever used and recorded!
    2009 - Now, Mesa Boogie 4x12" Rectifier Standard, which was kind of a disappointment. I can get much better tones out of the Engl. (It's for sale, if you're interested!).

I first heard about Kemper here and there around 2014 but wasn't that interested since it was really expensive and kinda thought it was just another gimmick. But then I saw Fear Factory live for the fourth time in the end of 2015, and they had the best goddamn live sound I'd ever heard, and had seen 200 live shows prior to that. So I checked what Dino used and since then I started to save for a Kemper :thumbup: And finally bought mine in the end of 2017.

My favourite profiles so far have been, in alphabetical order:

CORPSE (Mesa Triple Recto)
    Gundy Gilmourish (Vox Night Train, I guess?)
    JCM2000 TSL60 ML2
    LL - ChugChug (EVH 5150 III)
    MESA MARK V CLEAN+

Currently recording guitars for my 8th full length album, using the Kemper obviously :thumbup:

Absolutely!

I’m a cheapskate. I’m using the solid metal bases from my old Target stands on top of two yoga blocks which cas about £2 each :)

I'm using the Finnish/Canadian method - ice hockey pucks! ;) Similar to this:

If you're not familiar with ice hockey, the pucks are made entirely out of rubber, so they are very good for insulating the speaker vibrations from the table :) And they cost about 2 euros / 2,5 USD per piece. Which is significantly less than the isoacoustics pucks that cost 100+ :D

[Blocked Image: http://juhau.mbnet.fi/puck.PNG]

I'm planning to change my home studio desk to something more suitable, but it's hard to find a suitable one.

Here's a sketch I made of what would be the optimal type of desk (width: 1900 mm / ~75 inches, depth 800 mm / 31,5 inches):
    [Blocked Image: http://juhau.mbnet.fi/desk.jpg]

The critical things, in order of importance:

1. A lower level in the back, with room for two 24" displays
    2. Enough room for the speakers on the sides of the screens
    3. A little hole for my Kemper toaster, obviously :)
    4. Preferrably a moving keyboard/mouse desk (goes under the table)
    5. Room for my PC in the lower part (height: 526 mm / 20,7 inches)

On a quick see, it should be fairly standard. But I'm having a hard time finding anything suitable. The killer is really the lower level for the screens, which is far more ergonomic than having the screens on an upper level (= majority of desks!).

I just might have to do it myself :)

With the Rig Manager, you can only edit local metadata, ie. the text that appears under Rig, Amp, Cabinet, Speaker, Mic, and the text that shows up when you pick the profile in your own Kemper.

In addition to that, you can rate (1 - 5 stars) profiles in the Rig Exchange.

For the second round, after I get a noise gate pedal, I'll probably add one profile closer to Death's Symbolic, which is far more scooped than any of the 8100 profiles I have so far. And of course a second attempt at the "correct" Sunlight tone :)

In Flames used a Boss HM-2 boosted with something tighter on its front (could be a MT-2, or a tubescreamer or something akin) going into the crunch of the VS8100 with the contour either on the leftmost side or the rightmost side AFAIK,

Boosting a boost - I like it! ;) Unfortunately I don't have an MT-2, but I could try with a Boss SD-1.
    The contour is most likely all the way left then, since that makes the sound more scooped-sounding, which is what The Jester Race sounds like.

While creating some profiles, I noticed that there is no field for which pedals you used, eg. overdrive, in front of the amp. This is quite critical information and I hope it could be added :) Since it's meta data, it should be easy to add retroactively without breaking existing profiles.

It seems the convention varies, for example Amplifier = "Amp+Pedal" or just the general profile name = "with Pedal" or comments = "Amp with pedal"

I would like to see Pedal as an additional section in the editor, along with eg. Amplifier, Cabinet, Mic :thumbup:

I added some Marshall 8100 profiles with SM57 and Engl 2x12" cab :) Feel free to check them out in Rig Exchange!

External Content soundcloud.com

JU - 8100/Dist
    Death to all butt metal! *ahem* Should be fairly close to the on-average sound Chuck had No specific album in mind though.

JU - 8100/JesterRace
    Aww yiss! I got fairly close to the classic In Flames album The Jester Race. It was allegedly recorded with the 8100 and possibly Boss DS-1. Since I don't have the DS-1, I used my HM-2 instead. Sounds quite close though!

JU - 8100/HM2Xtreme
    I tried to capture the essence of the coveted Sunlight sound with the HM-2 obviously, but unfortunately the Kemper doesn't allow me to record the perfect tone I was able to get, as it has too much hiss and noise. I'll need to try again with a Noise Gate pedal, but for now this is as much gain as you can muster! Still plenty for Dismember, Entombed, etc.

JU - 8100/Clean
    Your standard Marshall clean sound with a bit of its built-in reverb, which isn't too bad for a 100 euro amp

Have fun 8)