Posts by Scott Baker

OK, I figured it out! I'm a dolt for this. I was looking at my Remote Slot III and correlating that to Stomp C. In Slot III I have assigned Slot X on the kemper for a Chorus effect, so while it is in the third (III) Remote stomp, it is actually the X slot on the Kemper. Damn, sorry for the frustration I was bringing to those of you trying to help. Humble pie eaten!! ^^

All you need to know for your application is described in the Main Manual chapter "MIDI". It describes how to load Slots in Performance Mode in great detail.

CC#19 switches on/off effect module C in any mode. All it takes is an effect in module C. It's one of the most basic comands used by nearly everybody using MIDI. Since your PROFILER responds to other MIDI comands it has to respond to this one. A small icon (symbol of a knob) will appear on the right hand side of the screen, when the PROFILER receives CC.

I suggest you test with another device as a reference e.g. a PC with MIDI OX and a simple USB/MIDI adapter. Perhaps your software or adapter is faulty.

As I mentioned above, it works perfectly fine for all CC commands EXCEPT the stomps. All my stomps have an effect loaded, so all it has to do with CC#19 is turn on Stomp C (III). It does not. Totally baffling! The adapter works fine as the Kemper receives all the other CC commands as well as another adapter connected to the mixer that receives CC on MIDI Ch1. The Kemper is MIDI Ch2. The Kemper's MIDI is set to Ch2 for both A and B. OR Omni works as well.

I just read through the most recent Kemper MIDI Guide (8.6) and there is no mention of using MSB or LSB. I describes MIDI, NRPN, and SYSEX. It still lists CC#19 as the way to toggle on/off the Stomp in Slot III.

I did some testing and CC17-20 don't work. I tested CC26 (DELAY) and it toggles it on. Weird that that the stomps can't be toggled on/off like the manual says.

I'm not sure what "bank select LSB" is you are referring to here, sorry.

I tried just using CC19 by itself and it doesn't do anything.

I'm sending from my iPad using StageTraxx3 app via a WIDI Jack. All other MIDI commands work without fail, so I know it isn't a connectivity issue. I tried staggering the CC19 for one second after the others (at track start 00:00.00) and it still doesn't work.

The endgame is I only have 125 performance slots and I don't want to each up an entire 5-bank slot with one single rig with chorus on when I can use an existing one and just trigger chorus on for it.

I'm using the current non-beta OS on RM and Profiler. Thanks!

MIDI control change #19 with values 1-127 activates effect module C. Practiced hundred thousand times.

However, it can only acivate, if there is an effect in that module.

Make sure the PROFILER is set to the correct MIDI global channel.

I would suggest using MIDI bank select LSB and program changes to load Slots. MIDI control changes 50-54 simulate a button press (values > 0) and button release (value 0). So after sending cc 50 with value 1 you should send cc 50 again with value 0. Subsequent sending could trigger morphing. With bank select and program chaneg you avoid that complexity.

There is an effect (chorus) in Slot C. MIDI global channel is correct as the hundreds of other MIDI commands instances all works flawlessly.

Are you saying send this?

[midi@00:00.00: CC47.00@2]

[midi@00:00.00: CC50.01@2]

[midi@00:00.00: CC50.00@2]

then send one of these?

[midi@00:00.00: CC19.00@2]

[midi@00:00.00: CC19.01@2]

I have morphing setup for the first slot in the performance as a general use amp and just increases amp level for leads. I don't want to hijack that for a chorus always on morph from 0% mix to 100%. I simply want to enable Stomp C for a particular command.

The Kemper manual (MIDI Guide, Page 3) appears to be incorrect, or at least not working for me, to send a MIDI command in Performance mode to enable Stomp C for the rig in Slot 1. Here is the MIDI that gets me to Performance 1 (00), Slot 1 (01):

[midi@00:00.00: CC47.00@2]

[midi@00:00.00: CC50.01@2]

[insert Stomp C enable MIDI here]

The manual say to enable Stomp C, use CC19. However, none of the following iterations make Stomp C enabled:

[midi@00:00.00: CC19.00@2]

[midi@00:00.00: CC19.01@2]

[midi@00:00.00: CC50.19@2]

Does anyone know the secret MIDI sauce? Thank you!

I back up/copy the whole set of my 125 performances into a Local Library folder in Rig Manager by the YYYY-MM-DD with some frequency. In my Profiler library they are in custom order by each gig for the song order we are doing (changes per gig). I've recently gone to using MIDI to change my performance/slot for me for songs and I need to keep them in the order they are in on the Profiler. I have two bands and one is the MIDI (static) list and another I can change them around to the actual gig order. So my question (FINALLY) is if/when I were to move an entire group of backup up performances from the Local Library folder to the Profiler library, will they maintain their original order (for the MIDI/static ones) or will they be alpha-order? I hope that makes sense. Thank you!

clord123456 thanks! I'll give it a go tomorrow! I didn't know I could use the monitor outs into the power amp, into cab so that answers the question of what the purpose of the "Monitor Cab Off" selection. Makes so much more sense. Appreciate the help!

Monitor Cab Off will disable the cabinet section for the Monitor Out only (and the powered output on the powered models) so that Main out to FOH you are including the Cab emulation but for the stage you are using the Monitor Out into your own cabinet and it is used for your cabinet tone and avoid an emulated cabinet into a real cabinet. I hope that makes sense.

Scott Baker Garage Band isn't built for live use - obviously.

Are you bouncing down - what - stereo? Do you run a click? How is it patched in?

I could use GB live, but it is just easier bouncing the files out. I bounce them as MP3 stereo files and then just have them all in a directory on my MacBook (via Google Drive) and manually start/stop them with my spacebar on the keyboard. I run the stereo headphone jack out to L/R 1/4" cables into a merged channel on my board that takes 1/4" L/R and mixes stereo. I setup my own click intros to the songs in GarageBand and also manually configure clicks in the tracks if needed before drums or percussion come in. I get all my tracks from karaoke-version.com and it lets you mix down the tracks on the web site or, like I do, solo each track and then download them and bring them into GB (or whatever DAW one prefers) and set mix/levels there. For $2.99 (US) each, the custom backing tracks are a steal. On some I'll record my own rhythm tracks and some harmony lines that I play against, but for the most part they are great.

I use backtracks live in a few duo bands I'm in. I use Garageband to mixdown the backtracks and bounce them out as audio files. I think just play them on a MacBook run stereo into the board. It sounds fantastic. I could just use GB live, but I mix down and bounce out the tracks on my iMac and then sync (via Google Drive app) on my MacBook. The GB files are monsters. I've got Mainstage installed but lost interest in tinkering with it when I figured out the above solution to make it work. I'm interested if you find some way to trigger, but I simply keep the MacBook sitting next to me and use the spacebar to start/stop the tracks.

Is there a way to see what rigs are used in performances via Rig Manager? When I first got my Kemper I copied like 1,000 rigs into it. Now that I've been using it a while and have many performances setup, I'd like to remove unused rigs and just keep them organized in the Rig Manager library and only copy to the Kemper when setting up a performance. Thanks!

I ventured into the Kemper world last December and I'll answer from my perspective as a live performer and recording one:

• I assume I need the Powerhead for a cab?
      You don't need it, but I'd highly recommend the extra money for one to allow you the most flexibility playing live. You can use a normal guitar cabinet with it and it sounds phenomenal too. Just be sure to turn off cab emulation for the monitor out when you do. I use it mostly either with just the PA or my full-range self-powered monitors, so not having to haul around an additional power amp for cab use is nice.
    • What is the smallest cabinet recommendations? I have a Carvin cab, with a 12' in it. Not looking to blow the neighborhood out :evil:
      I use a 1x12 cabinet and it is perfectly fine. Just depends on what you need playing live, but I can get my 1x12 plenty loud and still sounds great at lower volumes.
    • Any advantage to the Profiler Remote other than using it on the floor?
      The Remote has tons of cool features and is essential for live playing. It makes organizing your performances much easier to access than punching buttons on the profiler. Plus it adds a looper too and four additional expression pedals in addition to the two you can run from the Profiler. I only use two expression pedals myself.
    • Can you get Acoustic Amp Profiles? I have a Fishman Loudbox Mini, can it replace this for my Acoustic needs?
      Yes, there are some out there for free and paid that sound great.
    • When an Amp is profiled, is it pretty much flat settings, and you adjust after the profile is created?
      It will profile the amp or the amp/cab/mic combo with however those are EQ'd. It is eerie how close it profiles an amp, but you always will need to make a minor tweak here and there. I profiled all my amps, but realistically there are so many great paid and free profiles out there, I'm totally content to never use my own profiles.
    • Is the Reverb profiled? I mean, is it something that is just in the Profiler, and can it sound like the Spring reverb tanks?
      No idea, but it sounds great to me.
    • If anyone has ever had a hardware issue, how hard is it to get resolved, since this is manufactured overseas?
      No experience with this. Sweetwater is great for product support, so I'm sure they'll facilitate any needs for that during the warranty.

I've been using the new Grab'n'Go pack and it is amazing! I'm absolutely in love with the Wooly Coats’ Extra Spanky profiles. They've quickly moved to several slots in my live performances. Thank you so much Michael Britt (lonestargtr)!

I am using some old & new MBRITT profiles in my Heart Tribute band. Both guitars are 100% Britt profiles. For dirty tones I'm using 72 Marshall 2 4 & 2 6 and for clean I'm using Tweedy Tweed 1 3. Completely original profiles. Nothing tweaked.
    Here's some video from a recent gig.

Heart Tribute

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

You all sound AMAZING! It looks like both guitarists are running Kempers into Marshall heads/cabs? Are you using the effects return or power amp in? The guitars sound awesome. The vocalists are off the chart too! 8)