Posts by Dimi84

Let me put it this way ... it's not unheard of in this and many other industries that (some) publications have clients frequently booking ads and in return they publish articles/reviews to please these clients.

There's many subtle ways to "pay for publicity" other than the direct way. ;)

To say it with Shirley Bassey:

So let me get right to the point
    I don't pop my cork for every man I see
    Hey big spender,
    Spend a little time with me

Absolutely. I mean, no human soil.

Which is something people have been doing on the Kemper side. I've also profiled some neural plugin -- just not too happy with the results compared to the plugins themselves, but that's a different story.

Of course opinions are highly swayed by the person programming and demoing the unit. However, in all the clips I am disappointed by the top end on distorted tones and there is a cheapness to the sound.

The plugins are a lot more convincing in tone, so they need to port them over.

Well, the plugins have been tested by plenty of experienced guitarists on YouTube, giving a wider impression of what's tonally possible with them -- never mind being created via collaborating with particular artists that also have substantial audiences. Main cab/mic sounds are probably also highly influenced by such collabs; and then there's also a substantial chunk of guitarists after tones illustrated in videos even when somewhat faithful to the artist's tones, whether a user gets close using the plugin or not.

My point is: I do not know yet where the plugins stand against the Cortex tones -- even considering amp sims alone, for me.

Rabea's clip sounds great to me, better than previous clip.. But that's not surprising. Drawing conclusions (or even strong inductions) from a single clip of someone playing through a unit, at least like the video posted earlier, is certainly premature. There's tests on youtube with kemper against axe fx where axe uses similar IR all throughout some high gain amp sims -- and people who dislike this cab/mic sound be thinking that "well this is how Fractal sounds; kemper has much more variety.. I can hear the same character in all the Axe clips!".

Yea, Sherlock. If you put the same or nearly the same IR over a few (relatively) similar sounding amp tones, what do you expect will happen? What do you think would happen to the end-sound of direct kemper profiles of the real amps?

On which end: yes, some will dial in the amp modelling of Cortex to sound better to many... then people will also use different IRs, eventually... and some will emulate different source tones using the capture function. Point being: Cortex will have a lot to prove certainly. But it makes sense to think about what a given test, illustration, demo, whatever, shows or doesn't show -- what observations can be reasonably made.

But yes. I certainly want to see the capture function tested for stated reasons. Kemper already set the standards for such tests with their Kemper videos early on -- and if one is confident in the results of their unit, I don't see how/why they wouldn't go a similar route. If I were them, I'd already have been testing against Kemper regularly through development. It's likely part of what they've done, I would think.

And they likely will publish Kemper style videos; not saying they won't. If they somehow wouldn't though.. I'd be way skeptical at that point certainly.

Next point: you need the same "amount" of tweaking for an amp like for a Helix??? :?:

=O

I don't think modelling inherently requires radically more tweaking, no; hence "some of the same". If the amp sim is far from accurate, perhaps more so in that case. But if it's close enough to the real amp overall "tweaking" may not be far off.

Of course having many more possibilities than what is available for some in reality, smaller requirements of "how to" hardware technical knowledge, ECT ECT, means they may feel like a kid in candy store with something like an axe fx -- or even quite lost, heading down a rabbit hole they may not even need to for "good tone" alone.

But overall with the best modellers I can't say it's much different for me compared to analog gear, provided the use case is similar, and not about getting an frfr sound like a real cab or some such issue (a rather special case).

On this end, it will certainly be interesting to see if this new device seeks to mimic real amps as closely as possible, which may not always be the case. I'm rather confident in fractal's amp modelling, and this will likely require some hands on experience to see how accurate it possibly is (considering how people online tend to test modellers).

GuysX/.

Wait until this thing will show if it is able to profile amps like it promises. Only then you can judge its sound compared to a Kemper. Who cares about modelling and death knob tweaking these days except those without a girl (or boy) friend.

Plenty of people care about modelling. People also use real amps, which typically involves some of the same knob tweaking. And profiles are snapshots of certain sounds, rigs set a particular way.

It's just that with a "capture" test at least we'd be minimizing (assuming a good level of result consistency across tones) issues of "personal taste", something that comes into play heavily.

The result and quality of the Cortex: total crap !

Not even a shade of the Kemper !

Pretty easy to shoot a video with Kemper and have people dislike the tone. It would be rather premature to draw conclusions, as based on that, about what the device can do. People tweak things differently, use different IRs, pla pla pla, whatever the case may be.

In this scenario: testing out capture function could at least give us an idea of how well this unit can "copy" a sound in a profiling style manner. In that case, whether one likes the tone or not is rather irrelevant, assuming the "capture" function is consistent enough/does similarly well for one's desired tones.

Sounds good, but more or less to be expected considering the plugins. I’m waiting for them to post an actual comparison to a source tone, using “capture “, where supposedly this unit does amazingly well.

In regards to the QnA, I thought it was petty good. But I’m probably zoning out till there’s some really good audio tests of “capture” facility posted with source, reference included.

And another bonanza of 2019: giving away (new, haha) strings packs I had and buying daddario “balanced tension” sets of 9s. While this doesn’t sound exactly like a “gear acquisition”, these strings have come to be the only ones I use, at this point. Having more balanced tension for bends on high strings has meant my technique can be more even (my normal set = high E had considerably more tension than B). And even the low strings haven’t been an issue as I’ve relaxed my picking too. Such string sets is something I wish I knew about earlier on for sure.

To make a more serious post: I actually sold most of my guitar gear and guitars. Felt some need to offload most things. Instead, I got 2 PRS Korean guitars: one is a zack Myers signature and the other a multifoil style rainbow pupe custom 24. That’s without substantial experience with such guitars and also previous guitars being quite radically different, from fret size to radius, to scale length, to bridges, to you-name-it.

Weirdly enough it’s been a big success. Somehow PRS designs clicked with me big time. The only issue is too small frets, but I’m managing before stainless refrets. And also maybe I can’t quite play as fast as I did on my ESP-LTD guitars. Can’t say this bothers me too much though as playing as fancy as I can is not really something that interests me nearly as much. If anything, I almost feel like slowing down more has helped my musicality. A forum member has also helped me on that end.

Lack of Floyd Rose has been an issue though I’d say. Which means a third guitar should soon enough come in. Lesson for 2019 for me has been to keep things as minimal as needs allow and care as little as possible about gear in general, to be frank, unless there’s an important need (till tomorrow perhaps). It’s just that there’s a lot of expressive things I can’t do without a Floyd or floating bridge.

Cheerios

Won’t offer a second comment here on the topic (so as to not to derail), but when I’ve profiled acoustic sims results have been quite good for me. Maybe you can do similarly if in need of an acoustic sim, dial things the way you like. And when kemper release acoustic sim, cool.

Now about the rest of your post: I see reasons why more processing power is useful. If not for processing more novel sounds, having a whole band go through a single unit can be quite convenient, never mind cost saving for a band, including back up units. That alone is arguably a big step forward for the price. It also allows me to control other people’s tone, which can help with sleep patterns and stress (lol).

I agree with you that there seems to be a lack of fantasy when it comes to fundamental guitar tones, perhaps. Depends on what our standards are. Bouzouki tones haven’t changed too much either :) But I don’t really have much to offer on that end, like most, no super fresh ideas, at least for guitar sounds.

Seriously, just seems like saying profiling technology or tone capture or whatever is a good way to sell guitar gear now. Fractal has done it, Overloud and now Neural. It's an emerging pattern.

Fractal has a form of EQ matching, which was released a long, long time ago. That is great, but not "profiling" per se, which certainly includes more than eq-matching tech.

Just that we've heard these capture claims being made by other companies of late. It's just a testament to the fact that the Kemper profiling technology is literally a gamechanger.

Till I see some actual evidence, I'm not going to buy into hype based on a teaser video.

One would think there's going to be more in-depth videos before release, including tests of this "capture" vs amps. Some YouTube Q n A out soon unless I misunderstood. But ultimately, eventually I'd like to have both units side by side to compare. I want to see how the mids react, whether the tone has similar enough "depth" to the source tone, put to the test the claims about multiple stages (if I understand them correct) as well. Experienced enough with Kemper to know what to expect there, and how the 2 units compare will be interesting to me.

If I feel the results are meaningfully better than Kemper profiling my amps will have no issue jumping ship if not having both. That's a big "IF" however. It is even possible they use some technique in some ways more "advanced" than Kemper but nonetheless have worse results. I won't be surprised if the results are great or even the best for me -- or if there's nuances that have me prefer Kemper.