Posts by Dimi84

GuysX/.

Wait until this thing will show if it is able to profile amps like it promises. Only then you can judge its sound compared to a Kemper. Who cares about modelling and death knob tweaking these days except those without a girl (or boy) friend.

Plenty of people care about modelling. People also use real amps, which typically involves some of the same knob tweaking. And profiles are snapshots of certain sounds, rigs set a particular way.

It's just that with a "capture" test at least we'd be minimizing (assuming a good level of result consistency across tones) issues of "personal taste", something that comes into play heavily.

The result and quality of the Cortex: total crap !

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Not even a shade of the Kemper !

Pretty easy to shoot a video with Kemper and have people dislike the tone. It would be rather premature to draw conclusions, as based on that, about what the device can do. People tweak things differently, use different IRs, pla pla pla, whatever the case may be.

In this scenario: testing out capture function could at least give us an idea of how well this unit can "copy" a sound in a profiling style manner. In that case, whether one likes the tone or not is rather irrelevant, assuming the "capture" function is consistent enough/does similarly well for one's desired tones.

Sounds good, but more or less to be expected considering the plugins. I’m waiting for them to post an actual comparison to a source tone, using “capture “, where supposedly this unit does amazingly well.

In regards to the QnA, I thought it was petty good. But I’m probably zoning out till there’s some really good audio tests of “capture” facility posted with source, reference included.

And another bonanza of 2019: giving away (new, haha) strings packs I had and buying daddario “balanced tension” sets of 9s. While this doesn’t sound exactly like a “gear acquisition”, these strings have come to be the only ones I use, at this point. Having more balanced tension for bends on high strings has meant my technique can be more even (my normal set = high E had considerably more tension than B). And even the low strings haven’t been an issue as I’ve relaxed my picking too. Such string sets is something I wish I knew about earlier on for sure.

To make a more serious post: I actually sold most of my guitar gear and guitars. Felt some need to offload most things. Instead, I got 2 PRS Korean guitars: one is a zack Myers signature and the other a multifoil style rainbow pupe custom 24. That’s without substantial experience with such guitars and also previous guitars being quite radically different, from fret size to radius, to scale length, to bridges, to you-name-it.

Weirdly enough it’s been a big success. Somehow PRS designs clicked with me big time. The only issue is too small frets, but I’m managing before stainless refrets. And also maybe I can’t quite play as fast as I did on my ESP-LTD guitars. Can’t say this bothers me too much though as playing as fancy as I can is not really something that interests me nearly as much. If anything, I almost feel like slowing down more has helped my musicality. A forum member has also helped me on that end.

Lack of Floyd Rose has been an issue though I’d say. Which means a third guitar should soon enough come in. Lesson for 2019 for me has been to keep things as minimal as needs allow and care as little as possible about gear in general, to be frank, unless there’s an important need (till tomorrow perhaps). It’s just that there’s a lot of expressive things I can’t do without a Floyd or floating bridge.

Cheerios

Won’t offer a second comment here on the topic (so as to not to derail), but when I’ve profiled acoustic sims results have been quite good for me. Maybe you can do similarly if in need of an acoustic sim, dial things the way you like. And when kemper release acoustic sim, cool.

Now about the rest of your post: I see reasons why more processing power is useful. If not for processing more novel sounds, having a whole band go through a single unit can be quite convenient, never mind cost saving for a band, including back up units. That alone is arguably a big step forward for the price. It also allows me to control other people’s tone, which can help with sleep patterns and stress (lol).

I agree with you that there seems to be a lack of fantasy when it comes to fundamental guitar tones, perhaps. Depends on what our standards are. Bouzouki tones haven’t changed too much either :) But I don’t really have much to offer on that end, like most, no super fresh ideas, at least for guitar sounds.

Seriously, just seems like saying profiling technology or tone capture or whatever is a good way to sell guitar gear now. Fractal has done it, Overloud and now Neural. It's an emerging pattern.

Fractal has a form of EQ matching, which was released a long, long time ago. That is great, but not "profiling" per se, which certainly includes more than eq-matching tech.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Just that we've heard these capture claims being made by other companies of late. It's just a testament to the fact that the Kemper profiling technology is literally a gamechanger.

Till I see some actual evidence, I'm not going to buy into hype based on a teaser video.

One would think there's going to be more in-depth videos before release, including tests of this "capture" vs amps. Some YouTube Q n A out soon unless I misunderstood. But ultimately, eventually I'd like to have both units side by side to compare. I want to see how the mids react, whether the tone has similar enough "depth" to the source tone, put to the test the claims about multiple stages (if I understand them correct) as well. Experienced enough with Kemper to know what to expect there, and how the 2 units compare will be interesting to me.

If I feel the results are meaningfully better than Kemper profiling my amps will have no issue jumping ship if not having both. That's a big "IF" however. It is even possible they use some technique in some ways more "advanced" than Kemper but nonetheless have worse results. I won't be surprised if the results are great or even the best for me -- or if there's nuances that have me prefer Kemper.

I’d find a tube amp tone I like. Then profile it. Close enough? Cool. Not so? Spend time to see if further profiling efforts gets closer or try another amp that sounds similar. Seems hopeless? Consider other digital solutions, too — and if these don’t quite cut it, just use the real amp and be done with it.. on which end I’d consider if a load of gives me what I need, for convenience in analogy to tone, feel or not.

You’re probably right, but they could make an app that simply controls RM running on the desktop. I think that would be a simpler project but I know nothing about this stuff.

The new Editor is fantastic and I have no complaints, but it would be really nice to sit on my couch and control it from my iPad.

I use Google remote for stuff like this at times, linking pc (windows) to my iPad. Gotta test the editor that way too. Chances are controls are somewhat finicky used that way, but gotta test.