Posts by Guavadude

Exactly. Plugins need to be updated and tested with constantly changing operating systems.
    Sysex is just a quick burp of data that can be recorded into any midi track.

A very common scenario is creating a demo for a project before getting the green light to create the full length track. Just saving the name of the profile doesn’t take into account any changes I might have made to the patch while tracking. Trying to keep Rig Manager organized by project, session and specific track would be a nightmare. It’s hard enough keeping the DAW sessions organized with multiple variations and revisions.

My Virus C has long been discontinued but still sounds amazing and wakes right back up to where I left off by using a Sysex dump of patch data. Burp it and I’m ready to go.

I'd rather have a VST plugin remote controlling the Kemper though :)

Sure, but that's asking for a lot. I'm asking for very little and what is a fairly standard feature of any piece of gear with a processor and a midi jack.

Part of this is the growing pain of going from using plugin amps to the Kemper. The tone is a big step forward but the lack of recall is two big steps back.

I read recently that one Kemper can talk to another as a backup somehow but I haven’t been able to find more info. It’s also possible to send cc info to the Kemper from the DAW and the Kemper obviously knows how to send a profile back and forth to Rig Manager. So I think all that’s missing is a Store/Restore Profile via Midi command or USB.

I can’t be the only person using a Kemper on commercials and production music. Even in a band recording situation, being able to recall the settings used to finish a track is invaluable.

These profile files are a size 5k as in kilobytes. I should be able to spit those out midi or usb like every other piece of hardware built after 1970. I usually write the name of the profile in the track notes but that doesn’t take into account any tweaks so I’m having to use the DAW’s effects so at least I know they’ll be in the session which is ridiculous.

Just frustrated because I was in a hurry to meet a deadline and didn’t write down the patch names. And of course this is a project where the client wanted revisions, like every other project. So I had to dig through my pile of profiles trying to match the sound. But my Virus C woke right back up to where I was previously with a Sysex dump and they are made by the same people! Makes me crazy.

Does anyone know how to accomplish saving a sysex dump of a profile or equivalent in a DAW?
    I constantly have to rework tracks and need to be able to recall the profile AND all edits I've made to the patch for EACH track.
    With an external synth (Virus C), I just do a patch sysex dump in the countoff of each midi track. It takes two seconds and is always in the session.

This is really frustrating not being able to do this with the Kemper. With over a dozen guitar tracks in a session, it's impossible to keep the patches organized by name alone or using Rig Manager. I just don't understand why I can save patches in Rig Manager but not in a DAW somehow. Hopefully I'm just missing something.

That is a question for lawyers. Trust us, we have carefully assessed how we should treat original names.

Is there a set of guidelines for naming to appease the lawyers? No using brand names in the profile name but in the descriptions or tags is it ok? I've seen some commercially available profiles do this.

Is G12H30 ok but don't use Celestion? Etc. I'm about to create a profile library and would like to get the naming right the first time.

I wish there was a tag column in Rig Mangaer that already contained the fake names like Fan or Marsha or whatever that profile makers could use. That way there might be some consistency throughout the library. There are over 15k rigs and rising and I can’t even search for Marshall or Marsha amps and find them all.

If you can put the real names in a word doc with a disclaimer, why can’t you use them in the Kemper and have a disclaimer in the start up screen?

If you create user presets, add a symbol like ! so they’ll be placed at the top of the list. There isn’t a way to view only user presets or favorites yet.

I just read about this new feature in 5.5.2.

I'd like to be able to do a sysex dump of a single profile to my DAW in case I need to
    recall the profile and sounds at a later time for changes to the track. On my Virus C, this is equivalent to a single patch sysex dump.
    Is it possible to use this function to do this?

I can't quite tell if this is only for recording performance edits in real time or if I can use it to take a snapshot of current profile settings.

Well it's strange for sure since I've been using midi beat clock forever to sync my Virus C of all things.
    I'm also not sure why I can't use beat clock over usb since the Kemper is already hooked up through that.

I'm getting the same result using the RME's midi out and also my MOTU Mtp AV.
    What's also strange is that if I enable the Lock Tempo function, the tempo still changes when it receives beat clock. Seems like lock should work regardless.

I'm using Logic and RME Ufx in a studio, not live and this midi beat clock issue obviously still exists. The Kemper shows the tempo drifting by tenths of one bpm, so it's close but not quite. It will then stabilize on the right tempo for a little while and then start drifting again.

Do I need to start a support ticket or is this a known issue that may get fixed?

unless you really need the Kemper for pro work, you might be better off buying the DSL50 and an SM57 and sticking the speaker cab in a closet when needing to record. Long speaker and mic cables don't affect tone like a long gtr cable.

The Kemper does sound better than virtual amp plugins but you can get a decent sound by using the new Celestion IRs and bypassing all of the speaker emulations.

I contacted RME and asked if there's any output when changing sample rates or sync modes and they said no and it's the Kemper causing it. Since I've used a lot of gear and never had the issue except with the Kemper, I tend to agree.

I also asked about using the converter cable from spdif to AES and they said if I'm not having any issues when recording or playing back, then it's not the cable causing it only during startup, which also makes sense.

Muting the RME mixer channel on startup works, unless I miss it.

I just learned that different guitars can drastically change the feel and response of an expression pedal also.
    Using the expression pedal in Input location for volume, I was getting great sounding swells with my P90 loaded strat. Switched to a Gretsch Falcon and the swell only occurred in the very last part of the pedal throw.

I tried changing the inout sensitivity but that didn’t help.
    I added a compressor and moved the exp pedal to pre stack. That helped a little but again I really just needed to be able to change the curve of the exp pedal to compensate for the change in pickups.

I still wish that Mod, Delay and Reverb at least start at those positions in the list of effects.
    That’s great that they can be anything but it also makes sense that they could at least start with how they are likely to be used instead of always starting back at the top of the list.

The endless scrolling is my least favorite thing about the Kemper

No worries. Your comment actually got me wondering if there was much difference in using the expression pedal or an analog pedal in the loop for volume.

It's hard to tell from the audio samples but long story short: The expression pedal works best in the INPUT location and not so well Post Stack. An analog volume pedal works well in all positions, Input, Pre and Post Stack. It could vary depending on FX and amp used. I only tested it using one amp.

Like with most effects and guitars, you really have to put the time in and try everything in every possible position to find the best sound.