Posts by Guavadude

I’m basically listening for a few things when using a volume pedal: how smooth, vocal and dynamic is the sweep, how does the tone change when the pedal is backed off...do I lose sustain and amount of distortion.

What I noticed is that the way the expression pedal reacted completely changed depending on placement. It sounds good on input and pre stack but it sounds terrible post stack. This is where I’ve been using it since post stack would be post all distortion and noise but still pre delay and verb. I didn’t change any settings and I’m playing the pedal consistently. It’s easy to hear the loss of sweep.

So I think the problem I’ve been having isn’t with the expression pedal range and curve settings, it’s that it just isn’t working well in the post stack location for some reason. The analog pedal sounds much better in the loop placed post stack than the expression pedal.

I still think it would be good to have some more control over the curve of the expression pedal settings since not all pedals sound and feel alike. One thing I learned is that I should try placing the volume pedal pre distortion more often because it really does have a nice dynamic, vocal sound.

I think there are two main ways to use a volume pedal. One is to emulate the volume knob on a guitar by placing it first in the chain before distortion pedals and amp. When the pedal is backed off, the volume decreases but so does the amount of gain since the dirt pedals and amp are being hit less.

The other way is to place the volume pedal after the distortion and before delays. Wired like this, when the volume pedal is backed off, just the volume gets softer, but the gain and amount of distortion don’t change.

These are two distinct sounds. The pre pedal sound has a tendency to sound more dramatic and vocal but you lose sustain when volume pedal is lower. The post dirt pedal sound is better for keeping the sustain and tone consistent and it helps to quiet the noise made by the distortion pedals. Most session players seem to run the volume like this, to quiet the rig while recording.

So, I made some audio examples today testing the range of volume expression pedals using a Boss EV-30 in various Kemper expression volume locations: Input, Pre Stack and Post Stack. Then I compared that to using a Boss Analog Volume FV-500H pre Kemper (between lapsteel and input) then using the effects Loop and placing it Pre and Post stack. So basically two different approaches to accomplish the same thing. One digital and one analog.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I always run volume pedal post everything but delay and verb and I checked the calibration several times and it all seems to be correctly setup. I’ll do some recordings of a real volume pedal vs what I’m hearing with the expression pedals in the Kemper.

I admit this is a subtle “feel” thing and every analog volume pedal feels and reacts differently. It just seems like the Kemper should have expression settings that are flexible enough so that if I’m used to a Boss feel or an Ernie Ball feel, I can easily mimic that. Since it’s basically a math equation of input to output it seems like one area that could offer a wide variety of options to be used with different effects, including volume.

I’m really hoping that the Kemper team address this especially with the new reverbs coming. Volume pedal swells are a big part of that sound and it has to be a lot easier to add some different volume pedal tapers than it is to create new effect algos.

The Telonics volume pedal offers nine different tapers and is considered the gold standard of volume pedals.

The one sized fits all approach of the Kemper settings severely limits the true expressiveness of this feature.

Great resources, thx! That KVR link and the Dimension D2 patch is killer!!

I guess I could do that but I was thinking more along the lines of a synth in that I want to keep the factory patches and also have a User area for patches. The factory patches are a great place to start, I just want to limit my view of choices to my tweaked patches occasionally.

Even implementing the Favorites concept for effects presets like the profiles have would help.
    I guess a workaround would be to put an * at the front of each user effect preset. That would at least move them to the top of the list.

Maybe I'm just missing how to do this...I'd like to be able to just browse the effects presets I've created and saved.
    Right now it seems like my user presets are mixed in with everything else.

In the effects browser menu there are two unused buttons next to Delete and Load. It would be great if one of those said User and would limit my choice of presets to only what I've created.

There is no exclusive relationship between that module and specific effect types. You can use all effect types in all modules except the REV Module. The only thing special in the MOD Modules is that the MOD knobs of the Head and PowerHead are exclusively linked to it.

Yeah I get that module can be anything but since the button is labeled MOD and the knobs are labeled MOD and since I imagine a lot of people use it for modulation fx, it just seems like it should default in the browser to modulation style effects and not distortion. At least as a starting point.

I waste a lot of time twisting that browser knob, so much so that I primarily use the effects in the DAW.
    Shortcuts by category seems to be what I’m missing.

Have you tried to set your interface to external sync before you switch on the Profiler?

Yes, the spike occurs whether the UFX is set to internal or AES. I just usually leave it to AES and it switches sync automatically when needed. It's very consistent, always happening when the startup is about 1/3 of the way through.

I don't know, that's why I was asking. If those who have this issue wouldn't mind, please list your DAW interface and your startup procedure... Kemper and interface on at same time, or one after the other.

RME UFX on first, set to internal sync
    When I turn on the Kemper, I get the audio spike AT FULL OUTPUT before the UFX switches to AES sync. I'm using 5.6.2 Spring Verb preview OS.

I'm using the Kemper digital out into an RME UFX and I'm getting a full volume audio output spike when the Kemper starts up.
    It's occurring when the startup progress bar is around the "P" in Kemper on the startup screen.

Can anyone else confirm this is happening when using the digital outs on their rigs?

I sent in a request that all the Kemper outs are muted until it's fully started up but I'm not sure if it's the Kemper or the UFX that is the problem.

I can work around by muting the UFX dig input in it's mixer, but if I forget it scares the crap out of me.

thx

Seems like the MOD effect on/off button when engaged and then using the TYPE knob should default to the Vintage CH so it's at least in the MOD family and not having to scroll from the beginning of the effect type to get to Modulation effects.

This last update with the different sample rates for the digital outputs has been HUGE for me.
    I can now use the AES digital inputs into my RME UFX from the Kemper, just by making up a few XLR to RCA cables. It's so much easier for me while tracking and sounds great.

Using the GTR/Stack setting for the Spdif out when recording bass is great. I can get the DI on one track and amp sound on another track.

Just saying how much I appreciate this!

SO I’m seeing an UnO for Kemper and EurekaProm. Are these two variations of FCB1010 upgrades and is there an advantage of one over the other? Since I already have the Kemper remote, the EV-30 still seems like a good choice for me but I might grab an FCB1010 to try out too.