Posts by Guavadude

Hey are you able to get Midi Clock to work sending out of Logic to sync the KPA? It's been driving me crazy. I must be missing something... unless it just doens't work as the manual says?

I got it to work but the tempo on the Kemper was all over the place. It’s like it was too sensitive to beat clock timings which is strange because my Virus C synth works great with beat clock.

I gave up on it, mostly because I use delays in Logic.

I do a lot of sessions and also prefer to track dry and use plugins in Logic. Much easier to punch/comp and have the delay trails generated after comping.

I use Echoboy Jr as my main delay, specifically the Memory Man, but just grabbed Valhalla Delay. I’ll more than likely use it for more specialized sounds. The Valhalla Ubermod does amazing chorusing and Dimension D sounds and the Basic Tape Echo patch is great for pads. Tons of killer sounds there.

Valhalla’s Shimmer verb is also good for the pitched up verb thing and their Vintage Verb covers everything else. I also use a Spring Reverb plugin Springage, I think it’s called.

That said, I could easily use Logic’s tape delay, Space Designer and pedalboard. Be sure to check out Logic’s new multifx lifted from Camel Audio.

I do also just use the Kemper by itself sometimes too, especially the rotary sounds.

I use analog compression, distortion, fuzz and volume pedals in front of the Kemper.

It’s a glut of choices but I like to mix it up and have channel strips saved for easy recall.

REALLY looking forward to the new Rig Manager/Editor.

Wondering if anyone can point me to 'must have' bass profiles on the exchange? I've got the Kemper bass pack but would welcome thoughts on other good ones out there. The commercial vendors seem not to have 'gone there' for the most part unless I've missed something. Hope my request falls within the context of this thread but if not, apologies and feel free to remove :)

Many thanks :)

The TonHam is my goto for bass. I set the output for Gtr/master mono and record the DI and Kemper to two tracks. I add a little parallel compression in the DAW and I’m pretty much done.

yeah I just tested this out. My bad, the Local library can't be searched but the individual folders can, as you know.

Rig Manager, almost a good idea. It's really frustrating for me in a lot of ways but it's way better than just scrolling around on the unit.

I also want to be able to sort profiles by amp type, merged or direct, styles etc. Really hoping the new version makes it easier to organize the pile.

You might consider using a profile that specifically works well with pedals as opposed to one that is your normal amp. Your choice might also change depending on if you’re using the Kemper with a speaker cab or studio monitors. I’ve been surprised that some of the profiles I’ve passed on with monitors, sound great with a speaker cab.

The main issue I have with Rig Manger is the lack of organization options. There needs to be a way to be able to store profiles in lists and folders without having to duplicate the profile each time. Adobe Lightroom lets you add a photo to different folders but they all point back to the same file. That way if you make an edit, all versions are edited, or you can duplicate if you prefer to keep them separate.

I use the digital out (or analog outs) and set the output for GTR/Amp Stack out (or Mono Master if wet) and record into two tracks.

Then I balance as needed or I can reamp if necessary using the DI to drive the Kemper again.

The DI might be all you need for your clean profile. I typically use the Ton Ham Clean profile for the amp sound, which is actually another DI but sounds great. This would be for a clean sound, rock, pop etc.

Don’t forget about using your right hand thumb for playing bass. Sting does that a lot.

Putting a little foam under the strings near the bridge can really help muffle any extraneous strings ringing. Using your left hand to mute strings is also important.

When recording bass I focus on three things primarily: getting a good tone with no extra notes ringing, playing at a consistent level note to note, and playing in perfect time. Consistentcy can be helped with compression and the timing functions in the DAW can be used to tighten up the performance. Nothing can be done to fix the extra ringing notes after they’ve been recorded. Muffling and punching in when needed can really help.

When storing an edit of a previously loaded preset of a stomp or effect, the name doesn’t start with the original preset’s name.

The naming seems to just recall whatever effect name was last stored. It seems like the Kemper should be able to see the name of the effect I’m storing so I don’t have to create the name all over again.

I’m also not finding the save as new or replace functions for effect presets. I wish the naming of stomp /effect slot presets worked like the naming of profiles.

I’m wondering if the Rig Manager editor will have full undo and redo functions. I’ve become so used to multiple levels of undo in my DAW, I’m spoiled.

I also noticed when using undo on the Kemper it would often undo several knob changes at one time. Is the undo time based or parameter based? I couldn’t quite tell.