Posts by Guavadude

My main recording bass is a '79 Yamaha BB1000 pbass. Those are amazing quality basses ...ebony neck, great hardware.

I don't think the current Yamaha products are this good unless you spend a lot but when they first started making stuff, even the lower level

instruments were great. You can find these for under $500.

I was joking about the five string thing. Read an article on Talkbass and lots of guys love them. I liked one comment...think of a five string bass as a four string with a great thumb rest built in. Ha!

I think I will have to use the midi CC idea at least for my template setups. It would also get me out of using RM so much since I'd have performances loaded and ready, which I already have but not to this depth. I just like using RM because let's say I'm know I want a small Champ type amp. I've already gone through the massive user library and have created a best of folder of twenty or so Small Amps. I sort by gain or favorites and try the part with the track playing. When I find something I like as a starting point I dial it in and start recording.

Before when I was using plugin sims, I would have tracks already setup and channel strip recalls with amps and effects already in place. When I open the session at a later date, all of my sounds are already there ready to go. If the client wants a tweak or I need to extend the track, I'm not starting over from scratch. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to accomplish this approach with the Kemper. I'm having to make text notes in each track which is better than nothing but nowhere near as quick and concise as sending some sysex to the unit and being right back where I was.

I've used a Virus C forever and one of the main reasons I keep using it even though it's a hardware synth is because I can recall patches so easy using sysex. That and it still sounds better than any VI I've used. With the editor coming for the Kemper, I'm guessing the USB out will now talk to my Mac and show up in my AudioMidi Setup and hopefully Logic will be able to talk to it as well.

For now, I just really like keeping RM open and poking around a little looking for new sounds and trying things out. I was thinking that the Undo on the Kemper might revert back to my profile edits that get reset but that's not working but not sure why. Seems like Undo should undo stuff. Undo works when I tweak a knob and reverts back to the previous setting. So I guess I also wish the Undo buffer would not reset completely when it receives a new profile from RM.

Since a double-click and "Return" in RM are already setup to send the selected profile, having the Spacebar also do this is redundant and causing more issues than it's solving.

Good idea and I have an Alphatrack but I just use it for the fader. It’s not in a good location to be my main transport. Logic will win out on keyboard use. I’ll just end up not using RM anymore which I’m trying to avoid.

I’m curious, how many people use the space bar to send profiles to the Kemper?

I obviously use the space bar when editing names and text, adding folder etc. but I always use the mouse or arrows to select a profile.

I don’t want or need to save a large number of variations of one profile.

It would be a mess having multiple versions of profiles and then I’d have to figure out how to label them all so I could tell what the differences are. If I come up with something worth saving I save it. Most of the time I’m loading a profile and dialing it in and recording.

I just need the space bar to stop resending the profiles in Rig Manager.

What would be great is if I could send a quick sysex dump of the edited profile so it’s easy to recall in the DAW but I’ve already asked for that. This would let me setup templates in Logic and I could quickly recall entire tracking setups, for example if I’m doing a country song or whatever.

I’m really hoping that the new editor will allow some sort of patch dump into a DAW, but I’m an optimist. This won’t help with my RM space bar issue, it would just be nice to have.

I see the problem but don't you save your tweaked profile inside the Kemper?

I don't save every time I tweak a profile. I usually let the track play and start going through my Rig Manager selected folders. Once I find something close, I twist some knobs and tweak some effects or whatever then I record it and move on. Well actually, I tweak it, hit the space bar to control my DAW which resets the profile, then I tweak it again, then I record. Sometimes I get to tweak it again and again. It's fun!

At first I couldn't figure out what was happening. I thought maybe the DAW was sending midi patch change or something out causing this. Finally figured it out tonight. In the course of the past month of tracking, it's probably happened almost 100 times. That's a lot of wasted time. It's just force of habit to hit the space bar to stop the music.

It's harder to groove on the E string with that low B in the way all the time. One of my bass player friends plays with Miranda Lambert. He has a three string bass..EAD. That's the way to go!

Is there a way to disable the space bar's function of resending the profile preset in Rig Manager?

What's happening is that I after I select a profile in RM, I then tweak it to perfection and get ready to record. Unfortunately the space bar functions as PLAY in pretty much every DAW.

So I hit the space bar thinking I've moved from RM to making my DAW active but instead of PLAY I get a reset of my profile back to the stock sound before my tweaks.

I know I should just be more careful but I don't see why the space bar needs to be sending a profile anyway. I'm either using the arrow keys to move up and down the list or I'm selecting a profile with the mouse.

I just need a preference to disable space bar as profile send. Please, I really need this.

thx

Learn to use your DAWs audio quantize timing functions. For example it’s Flex Time in Logic.

Use these tools to help tighten up your time on driving 1/8th notes or whatever. There’s no shame in cheating a little until you don’t have to.

The timing difference with the larger strings on bass vs guitar takes a while to get used to.

Whatever you do don’t buy a bass with more than four strings! Oops, too late!

As good as the Kemper is on guitar, I think it’s made a bigger difference in my recorded bass tracks than anything. I recommend getting a used Fender MIMexico Pbass.

IK Multimedia’s MODO virtual Bass is great for sketching parts in if you want software.

Both of the sounds you're looking for sound like direct, guitar into the console sounds.

Try using just the compressor and bypassing the stack section completely. EQ to taste

I'm having the Reverb on/off issues also as previously mentioned. The Lock light is also not working even when the Reverb slot is locked. If I copy and paste the reverb into another slot like X, the on/off works and the lock light functions correctly.

Well I need a volume pedal and a delay level but a pitch pedal is something I’d never use. Wah is used occasionally.

I haven’t run into the delay mix issue yet since I’ve only used the Kemper in the studio and prefer to use DAW delay plugins while tracking for ease of punch in/outs. But I agree completely with the request to freely assign a pedal to a parameter globally without the need for additional hardware, especially since there are multiple expression jacks on the remote already.

Sometimes it seems like the Kemper philosophy is that they decide how much flexibility in design the user needs. With digital products I don’t really see the advantage to pre determined limitations. Interesting and creative approaches are often a result of using products in ways they aren’t intended.

I’d like to have two expression pedals plugged into the Kemper remote, one for volume and one for delay mix. I did like these to be active on every preset. I don’t care if I recall a preset and the pedal isn’t in the correct position. I’d usually set this up with volume pedal going from 0-100% and the delay going from 0-150% meaning off in the min position.

Are you saying there isn’t a way to do this currently? I definitely don’t want three presets for each profile with different delay levels. I just want to assign expression pedal two to a parameter of my choosing but I’d use delay mix 95% of the time.