Posts by Guavadude

Well it wouldn’t be a big deal if I hadn’t found out that for me, the merged rigs sound SO much better into the variety of guitar cabs I already have. I’m not going to spend a bunch on FRFR cabs now too.

For as brilliant as the Kemper is, it’s things like this that leave me scratching my head. Why go to all the trouble to create the merged approach if I can’t find the profiles?

I'm really liking the sound of the merged profiles into a guitar cab but I'm not seeing a good way to find them in Rig Manager.

Seems like there should be a check box for Merged or Direct profiles especially since that's one of the main ways of profiling.

Out of 16k+ profiles, I'm finding just over 600 that have the word Direct or Merged in the comments or description.

I'm open to suggestions of stuff to try out or a better way to search.

SSD5 is like a Les Paul and S3 is like a Tele. They do different things well even though they function the same.

SSD5 is great for Pop, Rock, modern country and anything where the drums need to compete with a wall of guitars. The Blackbird refill is exceptional especially for Kick and snares.

SSD5 smokes SSD4. They haven’t added a ton of new features but the interface is more refined and the new thing they’re doing to replace the round Robin concept is next level good. The new deluxe SSD5 kits are less processed, more natural and neutral sounding but still have that Slate punchiness.

S3 has a MUCH wider variety of tones available, way more processing, tons of great midi grooves and just more features overall. It’s better for Alternative, Americana, Jazz, Funk, Folk AND electronic and hip hop as it has a great palette of electronic sounds. Also Metal if that’s your thing, S3 has so many Metal kits you’ll have a hard time choosing.

Toontrack has a huge library of midi grooves they sell separately too. Logic’s Drummer has the easiest interface for adding grooves to s song.

Personally I say start with Logic Pro X. You get so much bang for the buck and the drum sounds are totally useable. For me, I’d grab SSD5 next then S3 as Logic can cover a lot of the lighter sounding styles.

I have a Performamce loaded with five rigs and one rig has the stomp switches setup. How do I copy these stomp switches to all of rhe rigs in the Performance so it’s consistent? I see the Autoload Stomps option but that only works for Stomps 1-4 and my setup is a blend of Stomps and delay.

Maybe this is an additional wish list item, but I wish I could set the preference for the Stomps autoload to be whatever modules I wanted. That way I could set boost, trem, modulation and delay slots as the default instead of always 1-4.

I’ve never understood why bands rehearse at stage volumes. Get together in someone’s living room, without a PA, play acoustic guitars and the drummer play on his knees or with mutirods on something.

Get tight and actually rehearse where you can hear each other. FIgure out parts, harmonies, transitions between songs and organize a set list. Then rent out a rehearsal studio for a few nights and play through your rigs as you’re actually going to use them. Run the intros and outros to each song and practice the transitions between songs. Then run the sets and go gig!

No, it’s just set at a moderate level, nothing extreme required. When the speaker is a few feet away it doesn’t take much. Use this in combination with compression, delay and other tips mentioned. I do use an expression pedal for volume but usually just for swells.

The good thing is that it will work with a distorted or truly clean tone. You can lean away from it and lean in when wanting more sustain but I don’t have it very loud so it’s not out of control by any means. I do turn the Cab off on the monitor out since it’s a speaker and leave it on for the main stereo outs.

You can easily get that Fripp sound by running a fuzz into an overdrive pedal. I always used a Rat into a super Overdrive but any almost two pedals will work.

Kick it old school: use a 12” speaker, not just studio monitors, and sit close to it with guitar facing the speaker. It just has to be loud enough to get natural feedback from the speaker stimulating the strings. A semi hollow body guitar works best but not necessary.

I keep a little speaker cab next to me when recording direct from the Kemper and just dial up the volume to it as needed for more sustain. It’s amazing how much more alive the guitar will feel with even a little amount of natural feedback and stimulation.