Posts by JimmyK

Thanks mate. As I've stated before, I have not a big noise problem. I believe everything is pretty much normal. I just wish I could get rid of the normal hum behind the notes when a profile is not 100% clean. You now like a keyboard or something.

I've tried all this stuff, cables, guitars, pickups, ground lifts, different slots, different places etc. I have even looked at vendors' videos to see when I use the same profile they use how much noise/hum they get and I get pretty much the same.

Maybe I am just looking for a "better than real" thing, but I have a small suspicion thet Kemper is a bit more noisy than a real amp. I don't remember, but I think back in the day when I was gigging with real amps I didn't have hum at such low gain tones. Maybe I am wrong of course.

Thanks again mate.

I tried again (I thought maybe I missed something here) but no luck.

It doesnt't do anything different than a normal noise gate except destroying the transient.

At lower settings (until around 50%) it works like a typical noise gate, removes noise when not playing but the hum behind the notes remain.

After 50% the transient starts dissapearing, and the sustain suffers, But still, the hum remains in the background.

And I am talking about an almost clean tone with humbuckers (tried different guitars). It's subtle but it's audible.

I can upload samples if you want.

The 'noise' you talk about is a side effect of compression and gain. More of either raises the noise floor.

If the KPA is what it purports to be - which is to Profile a real amp faithfully, removing that goes against the whole idea.

As for the input noise gate, it works wonderfully well - but you have to set it correctly. Otherwise it will choke off notes like any other gate.

Kemper is all about convenience and the whole idea is to keep the good things, not everything. Otherwise it would weight 20kgs and it would have tubes :)

An optional "hum remover" would be a nice addition to such a convenient device.

I'm not sure that what you're asking for is possible. Seems to me it would take some serious number crunching behind the scenes.

Aren't there plugins that do this kind of thing? Maybe you could fix your recordings after the fact.

Yes, maybe. Honestly I don't know, I just made my request :) I had one plugin like this once but it eliminated all the treble along with the hum.

The input gate does filter out noise and hum, but only for the guitar signal.

The input noise gate in fact functions all the time, learning and acting on those "unwanted sounds" such as hiss and hum.

Jimmy, if you've only tried the Stomp gate, the gate in the Input Section may well be the answer to your problem.

Thanks Monkey Man, you always try to help.

But imho the input noise gate is terrible. It destroys the transient of the guitar (where all the "tone" exists in my opinion), it creates a cocked wah effect and it still doesn't reduce hum at the end of sustaining notes. It just works as a normal but bad noise gate. The stomp one is better but still, my problem is behind the playing and not when I stop playing. I would appreciate a feature that eliminates hum behing the notes, and as far as I've seen on other topics many people would also benefit from this. I don't expect of things being dead quiet on high gain, but at least I would enjoy slightly broken up or overdriven tones with no hum at all.

Thank you both for your help.

But, I have checked things up and I don't have excessive noise problems. I have properly shielded guitars, good pickups etc.

I have done my research on the subject and believe I have normal noise levels, like if I was using a real amp. When things are totally clean I have no noise at all. When I am using a tone with little breakup, I have a little hiss behind the notes, more audible at the ending of sustaining notes. And of course as I increase gain, noise increases too.

It would be awesome if Kemper guys could provide us with a magic filter that reduces hum behind the notes, especially on broken up tones. In high gain the noise isn't audible when playing, but on cleanish broken up tones it's annoying sometimes. Since we are not playing with a real amp, it would be nice to get rid of all the problems of real amps, and guys at Kemper have already given us many 'magic' solutions :)

Hi, JimmyK,

Have you used the Noise Gate?

Of course, not talking about noise gate here :)

Lol ? if everytime I want to play some notes I must ask the whole neighborhood to shut down every electric device, I don't think they will like the idea!

Now seriously, it's a pretty common problem many people have mentioned. I am sure that if there is a way to steal an amp's soul and keep it trapped inside a toaster, there must be a way to cut the hum from the signal (I am saying it again, the hum and buzz underneath the signal when playing or at the end of sustaining notes, NOT when the playing stops).

I don't know if it's possible, but I guess everything is easier in the digital world. Almost all profiles with gain slightly more than clean have noise or hum. Something that stops the noise/hum under the guitar signal when playing would be very nice.

Go to Katzbach profiles and download the free samples. The Jcm 800 kk assault is the best marshall high gain profile ever. You can tweak the gain to your taste, and to make it more classic metal just reduce the bass a lot and add some mids. You can thank me later ?

What a monster player and that tone! I am sure you have but if not listen to this:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

As far as I can tell I think back in the day he used the iconic lexicon reverbs. That's all I know, I guess with Kemper you must use a delay with around 500 ms and two-three repeats and a trebly reverb (after the delay) with a small predelay time.

That's just your opinion. I think it is a really great and versatile preamp. Especially after changing the tubes to a set from TAD the E530 rocks.

O.k. for (vintage) clean I prefer my Rocktron ValveSonic Black Plate. But the E530 is a nice sounding tool for sure. My opinion.

Of course it's my opinion. But I've had both the 570 and the 530, and 570 just blows it away. 530 was only good for high gain, nothing else.

Little necrobump : I do agree tube amps sound more warm and less digital but I play in a metal band where the other guitarist has a Mesa 2:90 and Engl E530 vs my Kemper KPA over an Engl v30 4x12 and my sound is just as good, tight, warm and even more clear sounding then his setup.

Agreed, but Engl E530 isn't a great preamp. The difference will be massive compared to a tube head or a great preamp like E570 combined with the 2:90. It's not about warmth or digital, it's the harmonics and the fatness of the tubes that can't be replaced. I remember that my leads after the 12th fret wouldn't cut for no reason. Always sounded thin and nobody could hear the notes, no matter how loud I was. On the other hand, with the Engl570 and the 2:90 I was playing much quieter and I was being heard. I guess it's just physics.

I have to turn the playback pretty loud to hear the background noise ... and in the latest clip it's already less and it's not increasing anymore during the decay. It's perfectly fine for recording.

Keep in mind that there IS differences between amps / profiles as well. Some are almost HiFi clean and others have a bit of noise. Depends on the amps and the signal chain during profiling. The level of noise this last clip has is perfectly fine to use. Once the guitar is "embedded" in a band context it will seem to be dead silent. :) Also keep in mind, you're playing electric guitar through virtual analog amplification. It should never be as synthetic clean as a digital synthesizer. It's part of the experience to sometimes deal with a bit of noise., hehe. Ask Rory Gallagher for more details. :D

Obviously I can't speak for your monitoring situation, e.g. how loud you listen while playing, whether you monitor through PA speakers or studio monitors. But I can tell you, I listen through VERY good mastering reference monitors and I have to really push the volume quite a bit to hear the noise in a negative way. I would NEVER listen a full band at this level while mixing / mastering.

The problem in the new clip is audible through my yamaha msp-5, but even more audible through my phone, where the lower frequencies are less forward. Listen through your phone and the hiss is super-loud! This doesn't seem normal to me for such a low gain profile.

But let's return to the main point of this thread ? does it happen to everyone or is it just me? You seem to have a nice studio and if you could record a few sustaining notes with the attached profile and post them here would solve a lot of my problems ?

Just for the fun of it, I loaded the factory profile and the only thing I did was to set compressor on the amp block to zero. Problem remains

https://drive.google.com/file/…pbHcWLXA/view?usp=sharing

but the whole point of this is to see if it's only my toaster's problem or it's a general problem. That's why I've attached the profile. If nobody has the same problem with the exact same profile it means that it's either an electricity thing or a faulty toaster. Or maybe everyone has it and it's normal I don;t know. But I can see here and at other posts that many people have the same problem.

That's the effect of compression. Regular noise would be constant, in the example you shared the noise gets louder while the note tries to fade. This is the indication for compression going on. :)

Again: Check the AMP block and turn the compression parameter all the way down.

As I said, I already have done that, no change at all. The noise is still behind the notes and becomes more obvious as the notes fade.

There's a compressor that pushes the sound AND noise while it decays. I can hear that the noise slowly gets louder while the sound tries to sustain. Remove the compressor (either stomp or in the amp block).

Already done that, it's not the compressor. The problem is that noise exists behind the note and when the note fades and before the noise gate kicks in the noise becomes more prominent.

Are you playing with single coils?

I tried the rig above and I do get the "noise" when using single coils, but not when playing my DiMarzio noiseless.

Do you have Kemper noise gate (not the stomp) activated? When I set it to zero I can hear some noise from single coils without playing too. When I turn it up, I can only hear it when notes ring out. This effect could maybe be increased by the rig settings (graphic eq, amp compressor, treble up...).

Thank you for taking the time! On the posted sample it's a DiMarzio cruiser which is basically a humbucker. And I have the noise gate on at a low setting, you can hear that when I stop playing there is no hiss. The hiss becomes more obvious at the decay of the sustaining notes, just before the noise gate kicks in. So it's dead quiet on you with humbuckers or noiseless? I mean dead-dead quiet? Would it be possible to post a sample please?

If I remember correctly, they also pointed in the direction of EM interference since the issue seemed interment and more consistent during the nighttime.

Thanks. Mine is consistent 24/7 ! Opened a new thread just in case anyone wants to help ?

Hello guys, I wonder if you could help me. I am posting a sample on this link

https://drive.google.com/file/…plDVVRNl/view?usp=sharing

and the profile with the exact settings below. Can you please record and post a clip with a few sustaining notes with the exact same profile to see if it's only me or the profile in general?

You can clearly hear the hiss behind the sustaining notes. I know it's subtle but in recording situations I need a perfectly clear signal.

I tested different rooms, cables, headphones, guitars but the problem remains.

Any help please before opening a ticket?

Thanks in advance.

In my case all of this has been done, including opening a support ticket. In previous threads I've tried to convince others my Kemper is haunted to no avail lol. Other very experienced users have indicated that's its EM interference. But like any good American, I am contrary to supporting evidence and believe its the ghost of George Washington.

And what was the result of the support ticket if I may ask?