Posts by bsd512

I don't see these posted about too often here so I thought I'd share some experience with them.

I bought their Mr. JVM 410 pack and it's way more than I expected.

Some things I liked about it are - it includes a great variety of profiles, there's something in here for everyone. I count 403 profiles in this pack with 39 direct profiles, along with anywhere from 40 to 85 profiles each for various cabinet and microphones. We all know the cabinet and mic make a huge difference on the overall sound, and Cililab has no less that eight different cabinets and five different microphones, along with an OD pedal and a couple of different preamps. So including all those options provides a full suite of great profiles and options to choose from.

I highly recommend checking them out.

Here's a link:

https://cililabkpaprofiles.bigcartel.com/products

bsd512 this was my favourite amp. I had Fenders, Mesa's and a couple of others, but I ended up selling them all once I got the Lionheart. So to finally find a profile as good sounding as this, is so cool. I've been playing with "LANEY L20H CL 1" all morning and it captures everything I remember about that amp.

I've also managed to play a couple of things I wrote using that amp and they sound better than they do with other profiles, so I'm very, very happy! Thank you!

Ok this is now my favourite clean profile...up the gain on it slightly and it's glorious. Thanks again, I love it! I've found my sound again!

Thanks I didn't have any/many Laney Amp profiles!

Thanks! Sorry, I haven't been on the forum for a bit so I missed the comments. I'm glad you all like these! I borrowed the amp from a friend to do the profiles, it's a very cool amp! I like it a lot.

I wonder if a significant portion of the difference you're hearing and feeling is more in the amplification and less in the profile?

For the powered Kemper, you're using it's built-in solid state amplifier. For the tube amp, you're using it's power amp.

Maybe try testing your Kemper line-out feeding into the "return" of the fx loop of your tube amp if it has one, bypassing the preamp and EQ on your amp and going straight into the amp's tube power amp and see if that gets you closer to what you hear from your tube amp?

That would eliminate the difference between Kemper's on-board solid state amp and your tube amp's power amp.

Just a small addition here - I read the thread referenced above.

I know I've lost tones before that I wish I could get back from a recording. These modelers are almost as complicated as synthesizers so it seems natural to piggy back on that standard to save modeler state, too.

I'm also a Helix owner as well and while I don't believe it supports a SysEx dump, it does have the Native plug-in. Native is pretty great in the DAW - and the "preset" is saved within the track for that plug-in instance, so the settings are part of the track independent of other Helix Native plug-in instances and the hardware Helix. However, it's not perfect for tone preservation because even Helix Native wouldn't keep someone from going in at some point and monkeying around with the settings, perhaps inadvertently, and changing them. So if preserving settings for a track without them being modified is the goal, it seems a sysex dump would be better for that purpose than the Helix Native plug-in (assuming someone doesn't go to the trouble of inadvertently re-dumping the sysex).

I believe the AxeFX supports the Sysex capability. And while Helix doesn't do it directly, at least they have the Native plug-in which gives folks a fighting chance, though its not completely immutable. Helix Native has other benefits for shaping the tone directly in-line in the DAW - which coincidentally is the very thing that makes the preset a little more fragile than a sysex dump, though.

So for preserving a tone in near perpetuity, Sysex would be ideal.

Both the AxeFX and Helix offer some support for this. It would be great if Kemper did, too, and put Kemper it on-par in this regard with comparably capable devices in this category.

If Kemper implements this feature, I'm betting studio guys the Kemper-world-over would let out a collective woot, and we'd hear it reverberating around the Earth for weeks following. :)

Here's a clip - this was intended as just a riff so I wouldn't forget it and I could come back to it later and see if it went anywhere. Blame Monkey_Man :) (Thanks for the kind words Monkey_Man, and glad you like it, john2910!)

This clip is using the MARS DSL40C CLAW profile. There's no additional EQ or anything on it, so it should be accurate. Sorry ... it's in a mix with some very simple bass and some drums, so it's not isolated by itself.

I was actually working on something completely different music-wise, but I got bored with that and just wanted to do something else. So I took a vacation day off from my real job that pays for my roof and food yesterday, and while noodling around with that profile yesterday morning the above little riff fell out. I liked it, so I recorded it otherwise I'd forget it 15 minutes later.

Hope you like the profile! And thanks for the positive feedback so far.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I just made and uploaded a rig to Rig Exchange of my Marshall DSL40C. I used my Helix in the signal and put the Helix "Clawthorn" drive in front which is a model of a "Wounded Paw Battering Ram" bass overdrive.

If you're interested, check it out - search for "MARS DSL40C CLAW" or Author BSD.

Hope you like it! Feedback welcome.

So on your RME Fireface UC, I'm not personally familiar with it, but that looks like a nice piece of gear.

It is most likely capable of accepting "instrument" or "mic" levels, as well as "line" levels. Have you double checked that whatever ports you are feeding it from your Kemper that they are set to "line" level? If you drive an input expecting instrument levels, it's possible you might be overloading it causing clipping which might explain your results.

Also, how are you monitoring? Are you using headphones plugged into the RME Fireface UC's headphone port? I'm just curious here. What does the Kemper sound like using it's own Headphone Output? Does it sound the same as your recording?

If your Kemper's headphone output sounds decent, but the headphone output of the RME Fireface does not, you might be overloading the RME's inputs with too hot a signal from the Kemper.

I do think, like many others, when you are able and get back to where you can put hands on the Kemper and that interface, if you upload a dry recording of just your guitar as it is reproduced out the Kemper's Direct Output, that would be one very big piece of the puzzle.

I may have missed it, but two questions:

1) What are you playing your Kemper through? Make and model would be great.
    2) How are you recording it? Again, make and model of your interface would be great here, too.

If I were you, I would reset my Kemper back to factory defaults. Who knows, maybe in all the trouble shooting you might have inadvertently adjusted something that is causing this - perhaps and output level or something, that is overloading whatever you are sending your Kemper output into, might be a possibility.

Double check *everything*. Most likely, the problem is between your guitar and the Kemper, or between the Kemper and however you are monitoring and recording. If you still have problems after a Kemper factory reset, I'd say that definitely leads to the problem being either before or after the Kemper. And maybe both - those are sometimes the hardest problems to solve, when multiple problems exist. Don't discount that.

Nope, I haven't used a head switcher to A/B.

And if there is any difference in lows and mids, it's not enough for me to notice without a/b'ing.

Doesn't the Kemper turn off some things during profiling that are not off when not profiling? I'm thinking of something like "real cab" (defaults to 3 unless you turn it off in globals) - granted, I know that is not it because you're running without cabinet emulation. But could there be something else that is off during profiling but on when in browse or performance mode? I'd be real surprised if there's a difference between the profile while you're in the profile section, and the profile after it's saved. Why would Kemper do that? There's probably another explanation for what you're experiencing.

A better A/B test might be: instead of using the Kemper's built in amp to your cabinet, to instead use its line out and feed it into the Return of your tube amp if it has an fx loop. The way you're A/B'ing now is using two different power amps - the Kemper's built-in amp, and your guitar amp's power amp. Feeding your Kemper's line-out into your amp's fx return would feed your Kemper through your tube amp's power amp. So you'd eliminate one variable from your A/B test and maybe get a closer comparison.

@bsd512
    Speaking of your successful direct profiles, do you experience loss of low and mids after making a final profile ?
    I have open up a thread and not sure if you have seen it

Fix the Low and Mids lost Frequncies for Direct Amp Profiling

No, I can't say that I have. Kemper profiles the feedback it receives when it injects a signal into the amp. Anything that doesn't sound accurate is usually taken care of by Refining in my experience.

The only issue I've had with profiling has been for very light crunch. I can't tell any difference between the profile and the real amp when doing chords and more heavier picking. But light picking on those lighter crunch or push profiles seem to be a challenge for the Kemper to get accurately. I can always tell a difference. The Kemper profile sounds almost clean instead, missing some grit.

For high gain tones, Kemper is usually spot on.

How you refine definitely makes a difference. I had suggested in the Suggestions section of this forum that I think it would be great if Kemper had a built-in refining sequence it could inject instead of having us do it. That way refining would be done "by the book". Kemper's instructions on this are pretty open ended - just play some chords or something to that effect. Not very specific when how you refine makes a pretty big impact on how the profile turns out.