Posts by Jon Jon

The speakers were rated to take a higher wattage than the head. The amp is a silver tone 1484 which they say is 35 watts but I have all ideas they’re less powerful than that. The lightest speakers I blew were 2 Tone Tubby Red Alnico rated at 50 watts each.

they all blew during the same part of the profiling process which is towards the end and is the loud machinery sound thing. As I stated before it had to be something I was doing wrong as thousands of people safely profile stuff everyday. I’m about to do another round of profiling here soon, fingers crossed I don’t screw up again.

Back in 2018 I blew up 4 different speakers trying to get a profile from a Silvertone twin 12. Not a super powerful amp but the test tones are LOUD. I got the lower volume clean profiles just fine but when I went above 6 on the volume, KABOOM!! (actually no real kaboom they just stop working). All the speakers I used (Weber, Celestion, Tone Tubby) were newer and rated much higher than the Silvertone head. I'm sure it was down to operator error as in all my endeavors that go wrong but it stopped me from profiling any of my vintage original combos.

for what its worth - I use my kemper for my dobro (profiled my Jerry Douglas pedal), Acoustic guitar (profiled my aura spectrum), as a harp amp and as my regular guitar amp. I needed to send all of these different amp settings to separate channels in stereo for my sound guy. I ended up using an RJM effects gizmo and assigning different I/O via MIDI for each amp setting. The effects gizmo also lets me keep all the inputs (dobro, acoustic, harmonica, guitar) separate so when any given amp setting is selected the gizmo uses whatever input I've assigned. I'm pretty dumb when it comes to this kind of stuff and i was able to wire it all and program it myself in a couple of hours. The Effects Gizmo is a one rack space unit so it and my kemper are in a 4 space rack and pelican for fly dates. Now all I have to do is press a button on the kemper remote and all my inputs and outputs change automatically.

for what its worth. I am by no means a Kemper expert but all of my DI profile problems were solved by using the Kemper DI. I tried 3 different DI's including a Countryman, a radial and a cheap Beringer but I could never get the DI profiles right. I ran into all sorts of level issues. Too hot or not enough signal. I tried the pads on and off all to no avail. As soon I plugged the Kemper DI into the signal chain everything started working perfect.

It would be great if there was a way to simply turn different outputs on and off via rig changes (at least in performance mode). I use the Kemper Power Rack for both acoustic and electric. For electric I'm using a direct profile which is outputted through the power amp with a mic'd cabinet onstage (this is so I can produce feedback). For acoustic I use the Monitor out or the Main out. I'd love to be able to mute any output I'm not using at the moment and save that setting to rig itself. This way my stage amp doesn't get my acoustic signal and my electric amps won't go to the acoustic. Then I wouldn't have to rely on the monitor or front of house crew to mute or unmute all the time.